All I want today...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
...is to just ENJOY the game. It is not fun nor enjoyable to watch these guys, which sucks. Even winning comes with an emotional cost (Vikings playoff game and Dolphins in Week 1, our two most recent wins).

I am tired of gutting through ugly, close losses. I am tired of not seeing turnovers. I am tired of not seeing us impose our will on opponents. I am tired of watching this team sleep walk though the first half of the season.

We have the talent. We need our "super stars" to step up.

It was so fun to see this team down the stretch last season, just picking teams apart, starting with the Steelers game.

I know going into today I am probably asking a lot. Russell hurt, O line issues, Ifedi and Vannett still out, Baldwin and Lockett banged up, no fullback on the roster, offense a mess. I also know not to underestimate an NFL opponent, and the 49ers will show up ready to play. Everyone expecting a blowout...I refer you to the Dolphins game.

In my opinion, our mystique has been cracked. I want to see a hungry team ready to dominate.

I trust our D to keep it close, and hope they dominate...would KILL to see some strip sacks or a Pick 6. We haven't had a DB with a Pick 6 in the regular season since Thurmond in 2013. That's crazy to me.

We have a rough road game next week in NY. 10 am Pacific body time start, tough D line, hostile environment, an offense that is going to create match-up issues...and their head coach (Todd Bowles) knows us well from his days in Arizona.

We need the W today, period. I don't want to hear "it's early in the season". We pissed it away last season and it was hard to overcome.

Bring it, boys. We look forward to our 3 1/2 hours of football every week. Let's make it meaningful.

sutz

Reaction score
While I'm not so worried about the "style" of the game, I agree we need the win. First, we need to hold serve at home, especially against Division opponents. That was a big disappointment last season, losing at home to Div foes. Shouldn't happen. Secondly, we don't want to slip under .500 this early in this season, I think. Last year, with a much more difficult first quarter, we fell to 0-2 early, and never really recovered. We made the playoffs, but as a weakened wild card and not as a Div champ.

Laugh all we want, Kelly's offense is designed to score points. I assume our D will be tested to the max. Some pressure and some forced errors would be a big plus. Hopefully, the crowd can get in voice and disrupt some of the uptempo aspects of their O.

Our O needs to step up. They just gave up a 45-burger last week. If we can't score half of that, we will be in jeopardy. Sure, the SF D will try to step it up a notch, but they are a shell of the Harbaugh defense, so we should be able to score, if not at will, at least freely.

Should be interesting. ;)

GO HAWKS!!!

Largent80

Reaction score
I agree Greg. I was harping about zero turnovers and how important they are in the games and I was told I was wrong.

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":8fm8y94s said:
I agree Greg. I was harping about zero turnovers and how important they are in the games and I was told I was wrong.
It's not that it's 'wrong' per se. The problem is that it is something they can't always control. Turnovers tend to come in bunches. Once a team gets a rep as a turnover machine, like us, opponents spend more time on ball control drills and the numbers drop off. Many turnovers involve a large luck component, like which way the ball bounces.

We all want more turnovers, sure. But spending too much on trying to strip the ball and create them often leads to poor tackling and giving up more yards than would be normal on a given play. They need to just play their game; the turnovers will come.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
sutz":2prl6tgo said:
Largent80":2prl6tgo said:
It's not that it's 'wrong' per se. The problem is that it is something they can't always control. Turnovers tend to come in bunches. Once a team gets a rep as a turnover machine, like us, opponents spend more time on ball control drills and the numbers drop off. Many turnovers involve a large luck component, like which way the ball bounces.

We all want more turnovers, sure. But spending too much on trying to strip the ball and create them often leads to poor tackling and giving up more yards than would be normal on a given play. They need to just play their game; the turnovers will come.

Good points.

I just admire what Denver is doing. We were like that in 2013.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Will be cheering for the D, hopefully we get some gravy on top from the running game.

On D, I hope FC gets at least one more sack and that substitutions to get him in on passing plays are no issue even given SF's up-tempo pace.

dogorama

Reaction score
I am just looking for what answers we come up to get some points on the board. Yes, we have decreased options w/a gimpy QB but you still have to find a way to account for that w/game planning.

I currently have no concerns w/a #1 defense, except for more of the same.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'll just take the win today. It would be a good birthday present !

Chapow

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":27nh9pqm said:
Everyone expecting a blowout...I refer you to the Dolphins game.

:shock:

Is ANYONE expecting a blowout?

Cause this would be the first I've heard of it.

I'm pretty sure at this point damn near everyone is expecting a "defensive struggle". The 1st 2 games have given us no reason to think otherwise.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
If only I could force myself to not tune in to Hawk games until late in the 3rd quarter. Would make for much more enjoyable entertainment week in week out.

But alas, I'll watch from the start and hope they can somehow score a few points in the first half. They better figure out a way to get it done and finish in the 4th today.

dogorama

Reaction score
Chapow":guqork4y said:
FlyingGreg":guqork4y said:

I'm pretty sure at this point damn near everyone is expecting a "defensive struggle". The 1st 2 games have given us no reason to think otherwise.

While I wouldn't say blowout there are several reasons why one would logically expect us to dominate:

1. History: we have beat them four games in a row rather easily.

2. Matchups: we have superior personnel, they have improved theirs but so have we, at least if you can believe the hyperbole coming into the season.

3. Home field advantage: it's still the Clink.

Some reasons why we wouldn't dominate:

1. Injuries, gimpy QB, #1 running back down, and some other banged up players.

2. Coaching: while PC is regarded as one of the best coaches in the league, SF's new coach Kelly is an offensive innovator and our offense is looking anything but innovative.

3. Motivation: the game may just come down to who wants it more.

Chapow

Reaction score
dogorama":3bnf9t6g said:
Chapow":3bnf9t6g said:
FlyingGreg":3bnf9t6g said:

While I wouldn't say blowout there are several reasons why one would logically expect us to dominate:

2. Matchups: we have superior personnel, they have improved theirs but so have we, at least if you can believe the hyperbole coming into the season.

2. Coaching: while PC is regarded as one of the best coaches in the league, SF's new coach Kelly is an offensive innovator and our offense is looking anything but innovative.

Based on what we have seen so far this season, I really can't see how expecting us to dominate is in any way logical.

We have scored 15 points in 2 games.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Chapow":1s9yrc2w said:
FlyingGreg":1s9yrc2w said:

I think the discussion of that quote could have stopped at

:lol: :lol:

dogorama

Reaction score
Chapow":iz65j31r said:
dogorama":iz65j31r said:
Chapow":iz65j31r said:
FlyingGreg":iz65j31r said:

Based on what we have seen so far this season, I really can't see how expecting us to dominate is in any way logical.

We have scored 15 points in 2 games.

I hope you are not right, but if Bevell continues to call bone-headed drive ending plays like the two-in-a-row to AC up the middle then, yes, we are doomed.

hawk45

Reaction score
I felt like the defensive turnovers came after the offense had the game well in hand, personally.