Seahawks need to copy the Denver model

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for Denver. Even though they went to the SB they fired their head coach. After the Seahawks ran over the Broncos, Elway recognized the team would not get over the hump with the leadership/strategy they had at the time.

Seattle is looking at a very similar path. They went to the SB...they lost. Bad coaching was the problem and it cost them a lombardi. Heads should have rolled then...heads should roll now.

Think about this. With a hobbled RW that couldn't save Bevell's bacon by improvising, the team scored 3 points. Seriously, think about that.

Now think about the fact that Denver is the defending champs and Seattle didn't even make it to the NFCCG last year. What does this tell you? What trajectory are we on versus Denver's trajectory?

skater18000

Reaction score
I've had a very difficult time trying to find quality write-ups on.net postgame, but this may be the first. You make a very solid/valid point. Out of all the Seahawks fans I know, I'm the calm of the storm as Russ would say. I've been trying to understand why everyone is overacting so severely to our first loss, be it to the rams, who we almost never beat...

The result is a loss... So live with it. Coaches coach, players play & we fans observe. Anything else is nonsense.

Moving forward, I'd also like for us to do some things more like Denver from a schematic standpoint because they're a damn good football team, regardless of who plays quarterback. You can argue they're even better with Trevor Seimian than they were last year with Peyton Manning. John Elway is smart like PC/JS & he's built a winner out there. Although Pete Carroll is generally referred to as a defensive minded coach, he stresses that all facets of the game are equally important. He believes in a balanced football team. Denver tried to copycat us in a lot of ways after 43-8 because obviously at the time, we were doing well. Now Denver is so dominant in the AFC they can win there division & have a good shot at a postseason run every year. Seattle on the other hand is faced with many different circumstances than Denver. Generally our talent level is on par if not better than Denver's thanks to PC/JS. Coaching is what it is here in Seattle. Our division generally is one of the tougher divisions to play in as opposed to Denver. Our conference is generally tougher to play in than Denver's. Point is... trying to compare them is apples to oranges because Seattle has a tough road to & through the postseason every year.

What can Seattle takeaway from Denver's model?

Well they took our Left Tackle...

Invest more heavily in OL... No!

Pass rush? We're much improved

QB? No!

Dear Seahawks fans everywhere! We're fine!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Uh...After we stomped them in XLVIII they copied OUR MODEL. Short memory dude. Now, I agree that some heads should have rolled after XLVIX but seriously, Denver has copied us. We need to go back to that model quickly but our window is pretty much shut.
Honestly, for me, I love winning but I have less stress when my expectations are lower. I am looking forward to the rebuild and being the underdog as long as some coaches go.(Cable and Bevell)

crosfam

Reaction score
It is our model.

The idea that we are in rebuilding mode... really? We need to blow up the staff and start over? Stat undermining the authority and judgement of the head coach? We have a core of all-pros in their prime prime. We have a younger team now. Our OL is young and needs to be better, the same concern 90% of the league has. We are 1-1, just like every team in our division. Just like most of the teams in the league after two weeks. We looked bad I the loss, but was it 33-7? 28-0? No, we lost an ugly 9-3 game. Our D has given up 19 points in two games. Our QB is limited due to injury. Our yardage was not bad, but we haven't scored.

Overreaction and overcorrection. Just like overcorrection causes many accidents (business, automotive, sports, it is all the same), it can ruin a solid team like this one. Not only is the foundation solid, the team is solid. No time,to panic, time to go to work. I am sure coaches and team are working on it right now.

nash72

Reaction score
crosfam":2yjixwhp said:
We are 1-1, just like every team in our division. Just like most of the teams in the league after two weeks. We looked bad I the loss, but was it 33-7? 28-0? No, we lost an ugly 9-3 game. .

But we clearly look like the worst team in our division. 28-0? No we didn't lose by that much. That would be how bad the 49ers beat the team in week 1 that just beat us. Who do we play next week? Its not looking good is it?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2ikiiy4y said:
We need to go back to that model quickly but our window is pretty much shut.
Honestly, for me, I love winning but I have less stress when my expectations are lower. I am looking forward to the rebuild and being the underdog as long as some coaches go.(Cable and Bevell)

Lol. Srs? Or is this tongue-in-cheek commentary?

themunn

Reaction score
Denver opened the season 1-2 last year and won the superbowl
The previous year they DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT TO THE AFCCG!!
This the year immediately following a superbowl loss!

So basically we need to lose the next game to make sure we follow the Denver model to winning a superbowl

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bad coaching wasn't the problem in 2013 for Denver, their problems was their soft below average defense.

So who copied who? Denver copied our model after getting destroyed 43-8 by a nasty fast physical defense..........also beefed up their O-line by spending a bunch of money on it so they could pound the rock more (like us).

So you got it backwards my friend. We don't need to copy anyone, we need to get back to what made us special in 2013, pound the run, fast, physical, nasty mentality and takeaways takeaways and more takeaways. Of which we have ZERO this year.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vvpr7e5 said:
Bad coaching wasn't the problem in 2013 for Denver, their problems was their soft below average defense.

So who copied who? Denver copied our model after getting destroyed 43-8 by a nasty fast physical defense..........also beefed up their O-line by spending a bunch of money on it so they could pound the rock more (like us).

So you got it backwards my friend. We don't need to copy anyone, we need to get back to what made us special in 2013, pound the run, fast, physical, nasty mentality and takeaways takeaways and more takeaways. Of which we have ZERO this year.
:2thumbs: Winner!!!!

bandiger

Reaction score
I admired Kubiak's offense for awhile, I wish he was our OC when the Texans fired him.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1nofvprj said:
Seahwkgal":1nofvprj said:
We need to go back to that model quickly but our window is pretty much shut.

Lol. Srs? Or is this tongue-in-cheek commentary?
Srs??? OK. Where did I say that? I don't follow. Did you mean something else? Help me out here.
I am being serious, I want them to win but haven't liked what I have seen all off season. When we lost Okung and Sweezy, I was livid. I still am. In fact, this really all started with the Graham trade. We needed to PROTECT our best asset, RW, by keeping a solid run game(we all knew Lynch was going to leave) and adequate protection; not adding shiny new toys.
Hey, it's my opinion, and I would LOVE to be wrong. I love this team but I also HATE the cap because we have the richest owner in the league. Aggravating. I am just preparing myself for mediocrity again because if I don't, I will have a meltdown. :laugh:

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fs0sw1n said:

A big part of what made us "special" was depth on defense that we will never see again. It was afforded to us having guys like Wilson and Wagner on rookie deals that gave us an additional $25M to blow on depth and a real oline. Now we are on level fields and need to show we can still compete without that huge $$ advantage.

Hawks46

Reaction score
nash72":m27z26t6 said:
crosfam":m27z26t6 said:
We are 1-1, just like every team in our division. Just like most of the teams in the league after two weeks. We looked bad I the loss, but was it 33-7? 28-0? No, we lost an ugly 9-3 game. .

But we clearly look like the worst team in our division. 28-0? No we didn't lose by that much. That would be how bad the 49ers beat the team in week 1 that just beat us. Who do we play next week? Its not looking good is it?

It doesn't really work like that, as the Rams beat us twice last year, yet lost to the Niners once. It's about individual matchups, and we matchup poorly against LA, especially their coaching staff.

The Niners are going to blitz the crap out of us next week. If we don't adjust for it and make them pay, Russ is a sitting duck and you're going to see similar results.

The blueprint is stop the run, and put pressure on our hobbled QB. It won't stop until you make them stop.

mikeak

Reaction score
49ers hung 28 points on the Rams and Patriots put up 24 points on NE in the first half alone. They only scored another 7 because of injury at the QB position. Apparently we match-up poorly against Miami as well... Can't wait until we find that one team that others can't score on and our offense puts up 40pts...........

We keep putting ourselves in positions where we have to score in 2-min drills and we are not moving the ball and scoring like other teams. Our defense gives us great TOP and field positions and we are squandering it.

We keep spending money on Cadillacs (Harvin, Graham etc) and we drive them like a Prius. Either stop spending money on great players that we don't want to utilize and spend the money on the O-line OR start using the skills of the players on the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2snukbcz said:
Sgt. Largent":2snukbcz said:

A big part of what made us "special" was depth on defense that we will never see again. It was afforded to us having guys like Wilson and Wagner on rookie deals that gave us an additional $25M to blow on depth and a real oline. Now we are on level fields and need to show we can still compete without that huge $$ advantage.

Good point, but I think this D-line when healthy with Jefferson, McDaniels and Reed at 100% (which I don't think he is yet) can end the year pretty close to that line.

IMO the most impressive player on the entire roster this year so far is Clark.

nash72

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tycs6wf said:
nash72":2tycs6wf said:
crosfam":2tycs6wf said:

It doesn't really work like that, as the Rams beat us twice last year, yet lost to the Niners once. It's about individual matchups, and we matchup poorly against LA, especially their coaching staff.

The Niners are going to blitz the crap out of us next week. If we don't adjust for it and make them pay, Russ is a sitting duck and you're going to see similar results.

The blueprint is stop the run, and put pressure on our hobbled QB. It won't stop until you make them stop.

Especially their coaching staff? What does that tell you?

Regardless, I feel the 49ers are better than the putrid Dolphins and Rams and I can't see us beating them. They can actually score.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":278c4x6q said:
Seymour":278c4x6q said:
Sgt. Largent":278c4x6q said:

Good point, but I think this D-line when healthy with Jefferson, McDaniels and Reed at 100% (which I don't think he is yet) can end the year pretty close to that line.

IMO the most impressive player on the entire roster this year so far is Clark.

That may well come true. But we were still forced to skimp on the oline and trading for players like Graham (and not even targeting him in the red zone) and giving up olinemen (or the chance to sign them) may well be our undoing this season. Time will tell, but I don't expect them to come around like last years line managed to myself.

onepicknick

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30iin5zu said:

And you sir are correct Denver copied us as long as we have a dominating D not the 2 years past D but the one we had three years ago then I'm happy. I would like to see our offense be productive but without Lynch that might be a tall order I wonder if Russ is hurt why don't the play Boykin let Russ heal, you have to put in the one who gives us the best chance to win if were behind in the 4th then put Russ in just a thought.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I'm not sure people are understanding that the "copying" piece of Denver is having the balls to admit that your coaches aren't going to get you there and firing them even though you are "succesful" in the win-loss column.