What's up with Browner?

Tical21

Reaction score
All this talk about the special role and TE stopper. Everybody at practice said there was no doubt he was going to make the team
He was even playing SAM to line up against TE's. Yet we have played Kelcie and Rudolph, got ripped up by TE's, but haven't seen Browner in that role even once.

He is basically our third SS behind McCray, isn't he? 3rd safeties usually don't make the team. Have we scrapped the experiment already, or just keeping our secret weapon hidden until the games matter?

kearly

Reaction score
It would be really weird if Browner never even got a look at his new role before being cut. That would be strange. I guess you never know with PCJS though, they make a couple of head scratching roster decisions at the 53 date every year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If I were the Hawks I'd have him abuse Jason Witten a bit this Thursday. :2thumbs:

RussB

Reaction score
I think they dont want to tip their hand too early . Once the regular season starts i think he will be in the box

Basis4day

Reaction score
Most of the talk about his role came from assumptions by fans. He needs to make the team before we can really talk about his position.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Has anyone seen him practice. IF he is not practicing well then they are not afraid to no play him until he does. Its all about the competition.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":29s08u9a said:
Has anyone seen him practice. IF he is not practicing well then they are not afraid to no play him until he does. Its all about the competition.

+1

No point in throwing someone out there if he doesn't know the assignments yet. That's just setting him up to fail. I think people sometimes forget that the coaches are studying these players all week. We only get a glimpse in comparison.

Also, I think it was important to get the base SLB position nailed down. Morgan has looked very good there, and Marsh is beginning to look more comfortable in a limited role.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2016":6f645k7o said:
Year of The Hawk":6f645k7o said:

+1

No point in throwing someone out there if he doesn't know the assignments yet. That's just setting him up to fail. I think people sometimes forget that the coaches are studying these players all week. We only get a glimpse in comparison.

Also, I think it was important to get the base SLB position nailed down. Morgan has looked very good there, and Marsh is beginning to look more comfortable in a limited role.
Yet TE's continue to be an issue.

I'm just not buying the thought that we are saving it and not showing our hand. It isn't like it is something that would be this big secret play. Teams wouldn't prepare for us differently. There just isn't much advantage to hiding it. You're telling me we are going to roll it out in the regular season without even seeing if it works and practicing it in games?

I personally think they've scrapped it.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":1ew5ggya said:
It would be really weird if Browner never even got a look at his new role before being cut. That would be strange. I guess you never know with PCJS though, they make a couple of head scratching roster decisions at the 53 date every year.
I'm still trying to figure out who this year's random talentless hustle roster spot winner is going to be.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Tical21":2z0g5spr said:
hawknation2016":2z0g5spr said:
Year of The Hawk":2z0g5spr said:

+1

Yet TE's continue to be an issue.

I'm just not buying the thought that we are saving it and not showing our hand. It isn't like it is something that would be this big secret play. Teams wouldn't prepare for us differently. There just isn't much advantage to hiding it. You're telling me we are going to roll it out in the regular season without even seeing if it works and practicing it in games?

I personally think they've scrapped it.

Maybe so, as a result of Browner not mastering the position in practice. But it's still early.

TEs have been an issue mostly because Wagner hasn't shown up on a few plays.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The idea we wouldn't show our hand just makes no sense.

1st, after 1 game you've shown your hand.

But since you never got a chance to actually evaluate how this magical new formula is going to work in live fire, it could have flaws that cost you several games to figure out. Wouldn't it be more reasonable to evaluate & fix those flaws in preseason than in regular season games that matter?

I am a huge Browner fan.

If you ripped up my lawn but left a giant Browner statue behind in place - I wouldn't be upset at all. He isn't a God, but he is close. He laid the foundation of what became the LOB. His physicality defined what became the calling card of the Seahawk defense.

I want to give him every chance in the world.

But

In the past few games, when I see him he is often out of position and missing tackles.

I don't understand the love for McCray or whatever his name is. He doesn't seem to accomplish much except make pretty regular tackles after the ball is caught. I don't get an enforcer vibe from him, and whenever I see him on the field it is just a sign he is replacing someone we need in that position. So it isn't as if Browner has some tall hill to climb to beat out Mc. But he cannot even do that so far.

Disappointing. Hopefully it changes because if we have to field a secondary with the other guy we are going to be giving up passes all over the middle. But so far Browner has brought nothing to the field to even merit being given that chance.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Browner and McCray; and Powell, Thomas and Chancellor for that matter. The secondary is going to be awesome.

Atradees

Reaction score
I was thinking that because Browner is an older vet he was being Saved for reg season action. I would love see him sloberknockin some fool for loose balls.

BFSGhost

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaredStanger/status/767456054170882048[/tweet]

Based on this, it looks like they know what they have in Browner and know what they want to do with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gronk on field.

Pete to Browner- Hit

Browner - Affirmative Grunt

Gronk - I am Groot......... After hit.

Pete = Plan working perfectly :)

dogorama

Reaction score
It should be interesting to see how they fit him in, if at all. This whole secret weapon position is probably part of the new low-visibility uniforms they are unveiling.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Being in saints world for a little bit of time, browner has not been able to get to the ball without piggybacking the receiver for sometime. If he has a role here, im really interested to see it. Hes not an open field tackler anymore and the holding penalties that we'll get from him hanging on to the young guns wont make up for the one massive hit that youre all predicting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seeing as the Seahawks don't gameplan for pre-season games, there's every chance we just haven't seen him used all that specifically.