Here's What We Should Be Talking About: OL FAs & Draft Picks

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Offensive line is a need, nobody can dispute that. But of equal importance in my mind is either more/additional talent on the defensive line or tactics that get us to the QB quicker. I watched all season as we couldn't get home quick enough. That has to change.

Rocket

Reaction score
We don't work this way. We build them, we don't buy them.
We buy a good left tackle, we gotta let some skill guys go.
It's a budget thing, it ain't like Allen can pay more.
duh

OP
OP
dogorama

dogorama

Reaction score
Rocket":1z4ijg1k said:
duh

Both Bennett and Avril were "bought" through free agency.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Wizofwest":n5bo925x said:
Offensive line is a need, nobody can dispute that. But of equal importance in my mind is either more/additional talent on the defensive line or tactics that get us to the QB quicker. I watched all season as we couldn't get home quick enough. That has to change.

You're on the right wavelength. Word is Seahawks scouts were swarming around all of the DT prospects at the E-W game, so they're on it! I don't see us going after FA OL unless an LT, LG or C comes at a decent price...fat chance since about 30 other teams are after OL. Looking toward the draft, we have a better chance. I'm thinking the 'Hawks will try much harder to retain Okung than most in here believe. Crucial to our success.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wizofwest":k63k909v said:
In your mind maybe so, but I'm thinking that if we don't do something to help keep Wilson from being pounded on, he'll wind up getting hurt, just like Lynch.
I was getting a little tired of seeing Cable go all in for the run game, leaving Wilson to fend for himself....I think Pete started having real concerns about midway through the Season, and told Cable that he needed to reboot, and to shore up the Offensive line to help bolster the passing game, as they were losing too many close games in the fourth quarter.
Hell, with a less than average O-Line, RW & his Receivers started bringing the Offense back towards a respectable showing in the second half of the Season.
Wilson's quicker releases disguised a lot of poor play by the O-Line

Davidess

Reaction score
I honestly could see them drafting a T and than signing some vet interior lineman (i.e Boone and/or Mack)
honestly the interior line is what we need moreso than Tackles.

Them signing Boone or Mack would all depend on what they do with Sweezy and Okung. I could see them doing something like this

LT-Gilliam
LG-Boone
C-Mack/Lewis
RG-Glowinski
RT-Rookie

mrt144

Reaction score
dogorama":1yceb7ux said:
Rocket":1yceb7ux said:
duh

Both Bennett and Avril were "bought" through free agency.

So was Cary Williams.

mrt144

Reaction score
Also, I don't think they go for any high salaried OL in FA. Doesn't fit the MO and is less cap friendly.

Rob12

Reaction score
Wizofwest":3v7z1nwp said:

This bothered me A LOT as well. On paper, it seems to me that we have one of the best defensive lines in the league. But I always felt the pressure was subpar. Even very bad QB's were avoiding the rush with little problems.

Davidess

Reaction score
I think what we need is a dominant or well a good consistent pass rushing DT. on 3rd downs you can have him in there with Bennett and Avril and even Clark on the outside.

Hill is hurt too often and is inconsistent. I can see the hawks going Oline (bigger need right now) and than going Dline at some point with their next couple of picks. nice thing about this draft is it is very deep in DT.

kmedic

Reaction score
The coach is as much to blame for the O-Line problems as the lack of talent. Tom Cable knows how to teach run blocking but he stinks at teaching pass protection. I'm not sure if the right answer is to fire him but if we want to get the passing game to an elite level (which Wilson and receiving corps are certainly capable of), we need some sort of change or adjustment (? Pass blocking consultant) at the coaching level in addition to seeking out better free agents and draft picks.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I'd love to see us part ways with Okung. His talent is unquestionable, but he's never been able to stay healthy. I'd much rather we build with some guys in the draft, I just think, if we pay much to keep him, the injury problem will only get worse and then we're just left with a cap hit and still no viable reliable left tackle.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
There is no point in bringing in another tackle that isn't quick enough to handle the edge rushers. We don't need more of the same. I think you start by going to Russell Wilson and laying it out for him. Look buddy we need you to restructure so we can afford to sign a top LT. Maybe go up to get Tunsil if he isn't the top pick. Let Russell know that Alvin Bailey will be protecting his blind side for the rest of his contract if he doesn't.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We're going to be doing a lot of "beating our gums together" in the mean time as the Draft isn't until April.......three months away!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Davidess":17n5jcca said:
I honestly could see them drafting a T and than signing some vet interior lineman (i.e Boone and/or Mack)
honestly the interior line is what we need moreso than Tackles.

Them signing Boone or Mack would all depend on what they do with Sweezy and Okung. I could see them doing something like this

LT-Gilliam
LG-Boone
C-Mack/Lewis
RG-Glowinski
RT-Rookie

I agree I think the interior is actually a bigger problem. Can't just rely on the draft either, I expect at least one veteran nfl starting caliber interior guy. Doesn't have to be all world but has to be an upgrade over Britt. I really think with this small window that JS finds a way to really upgrade this spot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to let the board come to them. Whether the top person on their board at #26 is a defensive lineman, an offensive lineman, a wide receiver, a cornerback, or whatever, Seattle needs to be prepared to take him.

Of course, what happens in free agency will shape a lot of it, too. I personally suspect Okung has played his final season in Seattle, so OT does become more of a priority if that happens. This is actually probably the best draft since 2010 for Seattle to draft balls-out for OL because we're largely set at most other positions.

firebee

Reaction score
First... I get a hold of Walter Jones and see if I can bring him in as an assistant OL coach. Bringing him in to coach our guys up on pass blocking just makes sense considering he was, hands down, the best pass blocking lineman in NFL History and he's in the Seahawks ROH. Who wouldn't salivate over Jones and Cable developing our offensive linemen?

Let go of Okung... He's likely to draw 7-8 million dollars a year. We can get two or three OT/OG types that can compete for the start at LT. If we resign Okung, he's pretty much penciled in at LT and I don't like anybody being penciled in on the line after our line's performance last year.
MY FA TARGETS:
Ben Ijalana - He's a young athletic physical OT that was very raw when he was drafted and he's been stuck behind Ferguson at LT in New York. He's likely been blocking for Geno Smith in practices and is familiar with protecting scrambling QBs. I'd love to see this kid competing for the start at LT. 3 year deal.
1st year - 1.5 Base + 1 Mil. Bonus; 2nd year - 1.5 Base + 500K Bonus; 3rd year - 1.5 Base + 500K Bonus w/ opt out.

Chris Hairston - another young mauler that's capable of competing for the start at LT. Has started at LT in Buffalo and started a few games last year for San Diego. He's probably familiar with blocking for scrambling QBs due to his time blocking for Manuel. I like the youth and upside with this guy. 3 year deal.
1st year - 2 Mil. Base + 1 Mil. Bonus; 2nd year - 2 Base + 1 Mil Bonus; 3rd year - 2 Mil. Base + 500K Bonus

Tyler Polumbus - Not young, but he's been here before, he's familiar with our offense, our coaches and our players. He was also one of the most versatile linemen we had and he was efficient when he played here. We bring him in to compete for a start at OT and help the two young guys along with adapting to the offensive system. 4 year deal
1st Yr - 750K + 500K Bonus, 2nd Yr - 750K + 250K Bonus, 3rd Yr - 750K + 250K Bonus, 4th Yr - 750K

I'd offer JR Sweezy a 2 year deal with an opt out in the 2nd year, basically a prove-it deal, and I cut ties with Bailey. Sweezy has physical upside, but his pass blocking is suspect to say the least. If we brought in Walter Jones to help Cable coach our offensive linemen up; I'd love to see what Cable and Jones could do with Sweezy.
1st Year - 1.5 Mil + 1 Mil Bonus, 2nd year - 1.5 Mil + 500K Bonus.
If he wants more than that, I look to free agency.
FA TARGETS:
Senio Kelemete - Washington native, young, athletic and talented. Could probably be landed for less than we'd spend on resigning Sweezy. I also like the fact that he's on the short side for an offensive lineman. With Wilson at QB, we should be looking to go short and stout on the inside, so our interior line isn't screwing with Wilson's vision.
Jeff Allen - Young talented OG for the Chiefs that we could probably land at about the same price we'd get Sweezy resigned for. Definitely an upgrade over Alvin Bailey IMO.

Then we go with the draft: I trade out of the 1st into the 2nd, pick up an extra 5th or 6th. The payout on a 2nd round pick is less than a 1st round pick and let's just be realistic about JS & PC.... Their 1st round picks are hardly ever homerun picks. They do waayyy better with their picks after the 1st round, so trade out and draft to their strengths as evaluators. Our best picks under them have always come from rounds 2 - 6. Also... If we bring in Walter Jones, let Walter Jones take part in evaluating the offensive linemen in the draft because our evaluation of offensive linemen has been misses for the most part.