Build the offensive line like they built the L.O.B.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
That is, through the draft. The most consistent players in our league-leading secondary were drafted and then developed starting in their rookie seasons. It takes time and patience to find and groom the right fits for our secondary. This is too how we should be building the offensive line. Unfortunately, from 2012-14, the Seahawks drafted just one offensive linemen above the 6th Round. They were not committed to drafting at the position, and I think it cost the team (particularly Russell Wilson) the last few years.

Green Bay had a pretty bad offensive line in 2012. Today, they have one of the best offensive lines in the league. How did they do it? They basically made a commitment to drafting athletic linemen, who fit their profile, and then they developed them into a cohesive unit. In the 2013 and 2014 draft classes, the Packers selected three offensive linemen in the first five rounds. Four of their five starters were former left tackles in college, and their backup center was as well. Left tackles tend to have better length and athleticism than players at other positions; much like our corners tend to have better length than the average NFL corner. They found linemen who fit their athletic profile and then developed them within their system.

After neglecting the position group for a few years, the Seahawks made a commitment to drafting at the guard position in 2015, taking three guards in rounds four and six. That could pay dividends in the future as those guards develop within our system. Now, I hope they make a same effort at the offensive tackle position in the 2016 draft, a class which looks particularly deep at tackle.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1mskztug said:
That is, through the draft. The most consistent players in our league-leading secondary were drafted and then developed starting in their rookie seasons. It takes time and patience to find and groom the right fits for our secondary. This is too how we should be building the offensive line. Unfortunately, from 2012-14, the Seahawks drafted just one offensive linemen above the 6th Round. They were not committed to drafting at the position, and I think it cost the team (particularly Russell Wilson) the last few years.

Green Bay had a pretty bad offensive line in 2012. Today, they have one of the best offensive lines in the league. How did they do it? They basically made a commitment to drafting athletic linemen, who fit their profile, and then they developed them into a cohesive unit. In the 2013 and 2014 draft classes, the Packers selected three offensive linemen in the first five rounds. Four of their five starters were former left tackles in college, and their backup center was as well. Left tackles tend to have better length and athleticism than players at other positions; much like our corners tend to have better length than the average NFL corner. They found linemen who fit their athletic profile and then developed them within their system.

After neglecting the position group for a few years, the Seahawks made a commitment to drafting at the guard position in 2015, taking three guards in rounds four and six. That could pay dividends in the future as those guards develop within our system. Now, I hope they make a same effort at the offensive tackle position in the 2016 draft, a class which looks particularly deep at tackle.

Git 'er done!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
You can't really count on late round picks all becoming All-Pros like Sherm and Kam did. We're going to have to pick once or twice in the early to mid rounds if we want to have more success.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1r21w4yz said:
You can't really count on late round picks all becoming All-Pros like Sherm and Kam did. We're going to have to pick once or twice in the early to mid rounds if we want to have more success.

This OT class seems too good not use that pick at #26.
I4sT9gt

themunn

Reaction score
Whilst I have always been a big proponent of drafting O-Line early and often - at least every year since 2007 - when I look over the drafts from the last few years I honestly struggle to pick out particularly many good linemen that I think "we should have drafted him there".

I think there have been a few players we've missed out on - due in part to our habit of moving down to pick up more draft picks - but this is a strategy which has yielded numerous lower round players to compete in TC and helped us to continue replacing players when we've lost others to FA, so I can live with the odd miss in that regard (especially as we've often picked up perfectly good players with the traded down pick - e.g. missing out on Bitonio but picking up Richardson).

I'd love nothing more for us to go out, trade up and pick up a top-tier LT with our first draft pick this year, but even at 20 you can't be sure what you're going to get - the Bengals selected Ogbuehi at 21 and got 5 games out of him this year, the Cardinals selected Humphries at 24 and he didn't play a single snap. How much will it cost to move up to the top 15? Top 10? Even then we're not guaranteed a stud.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Soooo draft guys in the 5th round, one in the first and a random guy? Don't we already have that on the oline?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Throwdown":25840ygs said:
Soooo draft guys in the 5th round, one in the first and a random guy? Don't we already have that on the oline?

To create the L.O.B., the Seahawks drafted eight secondary players in 2010-12 (all above the 7th Round). They have drafted a secondary player above the 7th Round in every single draft class. 12 secondary players have been drafted in total.

Now compare that to the OL. Zero linemen were drafted above the 7th Round in the 2012 and 2013 draft classes. And only one linemen was drafted above the 6th Round in the 2014 draft class. Just four offensive linemen were drafted above the 6th Round from 2010-14.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I agree HN2015. Building through the draft is also a cheaper way to go than FA. In addition, find an OL coach who can make better use of the guys that were drafted. Carpenter and Okung were first round draft picks, both haven't improved much under Cable but Carp had a solid year with the Jets this year. Britt still stinks and he's a 2nd rounder. They only guys that Cable seems to have success with is DL converts. Their ceiling as we have seen is pretty much "average". Cable is a joke and should be shown the first door out of VMAC.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
hawkfan68":17x2d5nv said:
I agree HN2015. Building through the draft is also a cheaper way to go than FA. In addition, find an OL coach who can make better use of the guys that were drafted. Carpenter and Okung were first round draft picks, both haven't improved much under Cable but Carp had a solid year with the Jets this year. Britt still stinks and he's a 2nd rounder. They only guys that Cable seems to have success with is DL converts. Their ceiling as we have seen is pretty much "average". Cable is a joke and should be shown the first door out of VMAC.
Yes, Cable is a joke, but until Pete and John stop laughing he will be converting DL

Bwarren

Reaction score
I have a really weird feeling that our Oline project with our current players is not over. They are woeful. But Pete and Cable are loyal to a fault. It might not be addressed. It most definitely needs to be their top priority

dogorama

Reaction score
Far and away the biggest blunder we made this year was the OL. It was a complete joke from day one. How many games did it cost us? Cast-offs and converted d-linemen don't cut it. As much respect as I have had for Cable this was as much a result of his grandiosity as anything. This is the NFL, not arena football, and the other coaching staffs are laughing at us.

rideaducati

Reaction score
dogorama":2qi2h23z said:
Far and away the biggest blunder we made this year was the OL. It was a complete joke from day one. How many games did it cost us? Cast-offs and converted d-linemen don't cut it. As much respect as I have had for Cable this was as much a result of his grandiosity as anything. This is the NFL, not arena football, and the other coaching staffs are laughing at us.

For every game the line cost the Seahawks, if they had spent on linemen instead of Clark and Lockett, they might have lost in another way.

Could someone kindly point out the good offensive line with three new members that has been together less than one season?...ever? I'll wait.

dogorama

Reaction score
rideaducati":2x37olfs said:
dogorama":2x37olfs said:

For every game the line cost the Seahawks, if they had spent on linemen instead of Clark and Lockett, they might have lost in another way.

Could someone kindly point out the good offensive line with three new members that has been together less than one season?...ever? I'll wait.

I think you're missing the point. This was a chmpionship tean and championship teams have short windows of opportunity don't start experimenting with new linemen, especially linemen who have NEVER played the position before. it is sheer stupidity and that and was amply borne out.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14h1te3g said:
Overseasfan":14h1te3g said:

This OT class seems too good not use that pick at #26.
I4sT9gt
I like Stanley

MrThortan

Reaction score
I know it is way early, but I have viewed a few mock drafts and have seen OTs going often and early. Will be interesting to see what is available or if the Seahawks trade up. I don't know how it is going to be done, but I know I am not alone in wanting to see an improved Oline next season.

Damn draft is so far away :thcoffee:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The offensive line has gotten soft. The battles between the Niners and Seahawks of previous years had the maulers.

I wasn't a big fan of Carpenter but he was a mauler. Giacomini brought the attitude. He got penalties but it was that attitude that brought out toughness in the offensive line.

This years Hawks was sincerely lacking the attitude! 2 years devoted to building a quality beastly o line will give Wilson much more serviceable years.

It's simple. OL and DL wins playoff games. This years draft needs to be devoted to the offensive line because it doesn't do Wilson any good to make miraculous scramble plays to win all our games. Wilson is at his best when the line protects him and his offensive coordinator calls quick passes.

rideaducati

Reaction score
dogorama":2w93oifh said:
rideaducati":2w93oifh said:
dogorama":2w93oifh said:

I think you're missing the point. This was a chmpionship tean and championship teams have short windows of opportunity don't start experimenting with new linemen, especially linemen who have NEVER played the position before. it is sheer stupidity and that and was amply borne out.

I guess paying Carpenter what he got and Breno what he got and Unger what he got would have made the Seahawks better? If so, who would you have cut? You have to come up with $14 million for this year alone.

They can't pull money out of Paul Allen's ass and just spend it how they want to. There is a thing called the "salary cap". Every team has to deal with it.

Trading Unger was a mistake? Look how he played and look back at how many games he was paid to watch the games like I do over the past three seasons.

Carpenter? Breno? They chased the money.

No matter what the Seahawks did this year, they weren't going to have a good offensive line. For one, you can't replace three offensive linemen in one season and have them be good. Secondly, the Seahawks didn't have the cap space to get good linemen signed. Plus, they spent draft capital in the draft on linemen and they believe, as do I, that the coaches will get them to play well. It takes time TOGETHER for EVERY offensive line to get to be good. As time went by, the Seahawks offensive line got better...they'll be even better next year.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It's not as if we have not drafted OL help earlier. They just have not worked out

The same said with the conversion projects. The best is sweezy and he is below average to average after several years.

Makes me think someone is picking for the OL that is not good at it.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I don't trust Cable to pick the right guys. I just don't.

kearly

Reaction score
With offensive and defensive lines, you get what you pay for. It's a lot harder to game the system at those areas than it is at say WR or RB.

FWIW, there were reports after the past couple drafts that Seattle had their eye on a couple of OL making it to their 2nd round pick, but didn't get him. Fan speculation is that those players were Kyle Long and Mitch Morse. So I do think OL has been an early round priority, but the team has either been without a 1st round pick, or needed to trade down to accumulate extras.

I am fairly confident Seattle will draft a tackle at #26. This is a deep 1st round for tackles and Seattle will start the day with 9 picks, so they won't feel pressured to move down with their first pick. Seattle has four picks in the first three rounds, and I would guess that tackle, center, and speedy LB will be among them (unless Irvin returns).

All that said, I respect Tom Cable, but his track record with drafting OL has been pretty bad in Seattle. Carp, Moffitt, Sweezy, Seymour, Fat Rabbit, Bowie, Britt, Scott, Poole, Glowinsky, Sokoli. It's starting to feel like the same song and dance every year, with the same results every time.

After Okung left the game with an injury, Seattle's OL was playing three UDFA's (Bailey, Lewis, and Gilliam). It's nothing against those guys, but it illustrates how so many players were drafted and brought in here, only to fail to grasp their opportunity. The Seahawks have given Cable five drafts to develop guys, and with a few minor exceptions, it just hasn't worked out.

That said, Cable has done well with inherited players and veterans such as Okung, Unger, and Giacomini. I think it's pretty unfair to Cable that Seattle has forced him to build through the draft almost 100%. If they allowed him to pick a solid veteran here or there in free agency, it might go a long way.

Long story short, I'd like to see Seattle invest in their OL in both free agency and the draft. The current center, LG, and RT are all backup caliber players, and the two remaining starters are both free agents. I don't think OL is as big an issue as some do because I think spread + Rawls can cover up the smell, but I'd fully support a pricey overhaul to the OL this offseason. Trying to get by on the cheap just isn't working.

Latest posts