Bye week blunder?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Under Rivera, the Panthers and Cam Newton are 1-5 after bye weeks with the only win being this year against our Seahawks.

L 3-30 at home to the Titans in 2011
L 14-19 at home to the Cowboys in 2012
L 6-22 at Cardinals in 2013
L 10-23 at home to the 49ers*
L 13-31 at Vikings in 2014
W 27-23 at Seahawks in 2015

*Playoffs
*Thanks hawksfan515

Each year is different as is each game and game plan, but the average points for in these games for the Panthers is a miserable 11.6 while opponents score on average 24.6 points. Just something to think about.

sutz

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":1uwtlgdh said:
Under Rivera, the Panthers and Cam Newton are 1-4 after bye weeks with the only win being this year against our Seahawks.

L 3-30 at home to the Titans in 2011
L 14-19 at home to the Cowboys in 2012
L 6-22 at Cardinals in 2013
L 13-31 at Vikings in 2014
W 27-23 at Seahawks in 2015

Each year is different as is each game and game plan, but the average points for in these games for the Panthers is a miserable 12.6 while opponents score on average 25 points. Just something to think about.
I wonder if any other teams have had that problem?

oh, wait....

:laugh:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IMO these stats are pretty meaningless. What does a 2011 Panther team have anything to do with today's team? It could say something about Rivera and the team as a whole, but this years Panther's team is nothing like their past teams. Don't forget that the Panthers started 3-8-1 last year.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":w7zswh46 said:
IMO these stats are pretty meaningless. What does a 2011 Panther team have anything to do with today's team? It could say something about Rivera and the team as a whole, but this years Panther's team is nothing like their past teams. Don't forget that the Panthers started 3-8-1 last year.

It's not totally meaningless. The common factor in all those games is a Riviera coached Carolina Panthers team coming off a bye. For what it's worth Pete Carroll has already recognized this weakness in our own team and has worked to correct it esp in the playoffs. History suggests that Carolina is prone to rust after a bye week under the current coaching staff.

OP
OP
A

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks hawksfan, didn't remember that one and it didn't show up on NFL.com's schedule for that year on my phone.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Polaris":2hr2wclp said:
Hawk-Lock":2hr2wclp said:

It's not totally meaningless. The common factor in all those games is a Riviera coached Carolina Panthers team coming off a bye. For what it's worth Pete Carroll has already recognized this weakness in our own team and has worked to correct it esp in the playoffs. History suggests that Carolina is prone to rust after a bye week under the current coaching staff.

I agree with what you're saying. Yes it is somewhat meaningful, but I wouldn't put too much into it. Regardless of a bye or not, some of those Panthers teams were going to lose more times than not. Other than the 2013 team, all of those teams in the Rivera era have been pretty bad.

Before our SB run with RW, people could pull up all kinds of stats from the Seahawks between 2008 and 2011 and it probably wouldn't look good for us either. But those stats mean nothing to our new team with RW.

I'm just not a trends guy. The one thing in sports I can't stand is when the media bring up trends that are completely irrelevant from a team that has none of the current players.

Latest posts