Protecting Tyler Locket and playcalling

seahawks08

Reaction score
I have seen many games lately and I see a play where Tyler gets sandwiched between two defensive players like Safety and a corner. While he gets the yard, he almost gets hit helmet to helmet and extra yardage. As a class organization where we take so much pride in taking care of our players, why do we keep calling that play once every game where he gets really hard. Shouldn't we playing a little more differently where he doesn't constantly become a defenseless player? He he quick, he can almost any route. It makes me mad to see Tyler getting exposed this way every game. I am wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I saw it in the Vikings game, saw it in the Rams game where he was feared injured and I have seen it in other games too. Wouldn't coaches look at this and not put him in harms way?

Mojambo

Reaction score
Rookie is earning his stripes.

And I HIGHLY doubt Lockett is interested in having anyone "protect" him.

OP
OP
S

seahawks08

Reaction score
I am not worried about what he thinks, I am worried about his health and concussions and everything you hear out there. If a player is put in position to get injured, that's not taking care of your players.

Vetamur

Reaction score
You cant concede the middle routes. That said, at times I will admit Wilson while trying to throw a receiver open tends to hang them out to dry a bit.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Vetamur":1srh0z3l said:
You cant concede the middle routes. That said, at times I will admit Wilson while trying to throw a receiver open tends to hang them out to dry virtually every time.

FIFY

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawks08":2l2osgjd said:
As a class organization where we take so much pride in taking care of our players, why do we keep calling that play once every game where he gets really hard.

There is no play in any NFL playbook that reads "triple 29 cross red shallow X dagger get Lockett sandwiched really hard on purpose". That's not how it works. It's simply what tends to happen on our deep sideline shots, the safety gets over and helps the corner make the tackle. We've had a couple hits lately where they've arrived at the same time to hit him really hard, and it just happens. It's a good play by the defense, combined with Russell floating the pass a little by necessity to drop it in to him.

shawnsim

Reaction score
Its happened twice over the last 5 games. Its called having heart and wanting to win. As much as we want wins, they want it more and, are willing to put their bodies on the line to do it.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Personally, I think Tyler may have made a comment about Ciara that Russ didn't agree with... :twisted:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3qrt4xmu said:
seahawks08":3qrt4xmu said:
As a class organization where we take so much pride in taking care of our players, why do we keep calling that play once every game where he gets really hard.

There is no play in any NFL playbook that reads "triple 29 cross red shallow X dagger get Lockett sandwiched really hard on purpose". That's not how it works. It's simply what tends to happen on our deep sideline shots, the safety gets over and helps the corner make the tackle. We've had a couple hits lately where they've arrived at the same time to hit him really hard, and it just happens. It's a good play by the defense, combined with Russell floating the pass a little by necessity to drop it in to him.

I think we do have a play called" triple 29 Mayo X dagger Lockett Sammich and cheese" tho. :mrgreen: :thfight7: :stirthepot:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1jyt27m8 said:
MontanaHawk05":1jyt27m8 said:
seahawks08":1jyt27m8 said:

I think we do have a play called" triple 29 Mayo X dagger Lockett Sammich and cheese" tho. :mrgreen: :thfight7: :stirthepot:
Sounds tastier than a spider in my 2 Y banana. :D

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Dagger plays are overrated. I want more plays with Lockett split out running a 9 route with Baldwin as flanker on a flanker drive play. Baldwin and Lockett on drag routes getting the ball in the open field is fun to watch.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
In the NFL, the only way you can truly protect a player is to not let them get on the field.

BTW: Nice to see Tyler's Mom posting on .net.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's the hole in certain zone coverages, where you hit over the CB and in front of the safety and on the sidelines.

So basically, the suggestion is that to protect a certain player, we can't throw zone beaters against certain zone coverages?

Yeah, that sounds like a formula for success. Willson got a concussion and Graham blew out a patella tendon. Why don't we just run it every play to protect all of the receivers ? Oh wait, then we'd get the RB hurt.

Welp, might as well pack it up and go home. No use in trying to win if someone could get hurt.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Vetamur":226v7auz said:
You cant concede the middle routes. That said, at times I will admit Wilson while trying to throw a receiver open tends to hang them out to dry a bit.

of course LOL

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Vetamur":3f6fnnjp said:

As opposed to NOT throwing them open? Read what you wrote a couple more times. It can't possibly make sense as criticism. Throwing a receiver open, in most cases, is not the same as 'hanging them out to dry' anyway.

OP
OP
S

seahawks08

Reaction score
Hawks46":1irr03a1 said:
That's the hole in certain zone coverages, where you hit over the CB and in front of the safety and on the sidelines.

So basically, the suggestion is that to protect a certain player, we can't throw zone beaters against certain zone coverages?

Yeah, that sounds like a formula for success. Willson got a concussion and Graham blew out a patella tendon. Why don't we just run it every play to protect all of the receivers ? Oh wait, then we'd get the RB hurt.

Welp, might as well pack it up and go home. No use in trying to win if someone could get hurt.

That's not what I meant. We need to call plays that does not put your players in tricky situation. I respectfully disagree with the notion of comparing Run plays and pass plays. A run play is something where they carry the ball and understand where the hits are coming from and adjust their body to absorb the hit. A WR is looking to catch the ball and is defenseless at that point. They absorb the hit while running full speed without getting the benefit of where they are going to hit. Stop comparing apples to oranges for making a point. We as fans should not just look from an entertainment point of view but also understand why the league penalizes defenseless hits. Plsy calling, timing, trajectory and play designing can all be adjusted so that we can be better than that. Brain injury is real, you can live with a broken foot, technology is not caught up where you can put a cast on your head to heal your brain.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
seahawks08":pqc0jcyv said:
I have seen many games lately and I see a play where Tyler gets sandwiched between two defensive players like Safety and a corner. While he gets the yard, he almost gets hit helmet to helmet and extra yardage. As a class organization where we take so much pride in taking care of our players, why do we keep calling that play once every game where he gets really hard.Shouldn't we playing a little more differently where he doesn't constantly become a defenseless player? He he quick, he can almost any route. It makes me mad to see Tyler getting exposed this way every game. I am wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I saw it in the Vikings game, saw it in the Rams game where he was feared injured and I have seen it in other games too. Wouldn't coaches look at this and not put him in harms way?

Probably because those plays excite him.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":25wsqe85 said:
Vetamur":25wsqe85 said:

As opposed to NOT throwing them open? Read what you wrote a couple more times. It can't possibly make sense as criticism. Throwing a receiver open, in most cases, is not the same as 'hanging them out to dry' anyway.

So let me get this straight not only does our QB have to throw them open, he also needs to make sure they do not get hit while trying to make a play in a football game. HMm so I guess by that logic our WR need to get open soon enough so our QB does not have to stand in the pocket and take a hit throwing them open too. Of course no mention of that, I smell an agenda

chris98251

Reaction score
I think throwing up jump balls where they can't protect themselves from a hit and throwing them into traffic with oncoming defenders is what is being talked about. Throwing open, he is getting better at, he seems to have been able to shrink the window of what he considers a receiver as open this year and lead them to the catch, still needs work, but I think that's a trust issue with his receivers, he is trusting them more to make a play or knock it down.