Marshawn Lynch receives trademark for iconic catchphrase

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Beast Mode didn’t say much during Super Bowl XLIX media day.

The one line he repeated — “I’m just here so I won’t get fined.”

Lynch said that line in response to questions from members of media agencies throughout the country dozens of times.

It was all in response to the star running back getting fined $50,000 for refusing to speak with the media after a Week 11 loss that year and another $75,000 for dodging reporters following the NFC Championship game.

By repeating the line over and over again during Media Day, the Seahawks star avoided racking up further fines.

Shortly after the Super Bowl, Beast Mode filed for trademark on that phrase.

And just yesterday, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted that patent.

That’s right, according to ESPN, Beast Mode now owns the phrase “I’m just here so I won’t get fined.”

Lynch also holds trademarks for his catchphrases “Beast Mode” and “All about that action, boss.”

http://q13fox.com/2015/12/30/marshawn-l ... tchphrase/

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We live in a weird world today where language can be a property. Quick, somebody copyright "Superb Owl"

Cartire

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":39fho856 said:
We live in a weird world today where language can be a property. Quick, somebody copyright "Superb Owl"

Trademarking isn't like property. Copyright is though.

Anybody can say the phrases mentioned above and even write about them without issue. What they can't do is profit off of them without permission. so someone can't make a sweater saying, "All bout that action, Boss" and sell it, without permission. It's why the skins got all pissed when they lost their trademark. Now anyone could make shirts with the team logo.

Copyright on the other hand is property.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3h5cq81y said:
Trademarking isn't like property. Copyright is though.

Anybody can say the phrases mentioned above and even write about them without issue. What they can't do is profit off of them without permission. so someone can't make a sweater saying, "All bout that action, Boss" and sell it, without permission. It's why the skins got all pissed when they lost their trademark. Now anyone could make shirts with the team logo.

Copyright on the other hand is property.

Thanks for that.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We should congratulate these players when they do things, that could help them continue to create sources of revenues for them and their families well after their professional football careers are over. God knows how long these guys will continue to be blessed to play on Sundays. Leveraging some of that $$$ to do something that can live beyond their careers is commendable.
Congratulations to Beast Mode.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
joeseahawks":n77ztmqo said:
We should congratulate these players when they do things, that could help them continue to create sources of revenues for them and their families well after their professional football careers are over. God knows how long these guys will continue to be blessed to play on Sundays. Leveraging some of that $$$ to do something that can live beyond their careers is commendable.

......might beat selling used trucks and cars. :roll:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Does anybody own, "I'm just here so I won't get fired"?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I already own that ... so watch out. :D :D :D I also own an army of lawyers ... :D :D :D
Just kidding
Laloosh":3qovrem9 said:
Does anybody own, "I'm just here so I won't get fired"?

Largent80

Reaction score
I really don't give a shit about this. Dude has been injured all year and probably won't be a Hawk next year. It just isn't news or anything to get excited about.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":14posj6h said:
I really don't give a shit about this. Dude has been injured all year and probably won't be a Hawk next year. It just isn't news or anything to get excited about.

Party pooper.

Cartire

Reaction score
joeseahawks":ze7uq2rs said:

the last thing im going to do is congratulate a millionaire for making more money.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
If any one of us here said something that was repeated by every major media outlet and subsequently became a sort of catch phrase and you DIDN'T trademark it, I'd say you missed an opportunity.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
This is why I don't buy that whole Marshawn Lynch is uncomfortable with the media thing. Can't try to play the pity card, then use the way you handle it to pad your checkbook.

Latest posts