Tom Cable says Lynch will have to "adapt" when he returns.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Interesting quotes from today.

(are you counting on Marshawn being back for the playoffs?) "We're counting on him to get healthy whenever that is. And then once that happens, it's for him to come back in and be able to adapt to this football team and the way it acts and the way it's moving right now collectively. That will be his challenge, but right now his number one thing is getting healthy."

(how much of a challenge will that be for him?) "I think if he's right and ready to go and all that... I've said this before, he's a fine football player. So it's his ability to adapt to us, really, who we are and how we've come together as a group and a team."

(in what ways have you changed since he's been out?) "I see us being a little more detailed. I see us playing at a very high tempo, accepting challenges, overcoming issues when they show up whether it's in a game or practice. I think we're growing up in a big way and so I think maturity is probably the thing that stands out to me more than anything and that's across the board."

joeseahawks

Reaction score
It means hitting the holes faster and running downhill. Straight downhill and avoid negative yards in the backfield. Yes, that's the best we can do with this O-line. It works, so why change it? They are not going to ask the O-Line to change, just to accommodate one player. Makes absolutely total sense.

But, I heard today that Lynch has been going through his normal pre-season preparation routine. The same routine he used a year ago, where he can back in the best shape of his life.
This year is Lynch's last Hurrah. Having tasted the SB the last 2 years, Lynch (and the rest of this team) is on a mission.
Assuming, he heals from the Surgery properly, I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt, that Lynch will come back in the best shape of his life and be ready to go in January...

Carolina and Arizona don't know yet, what's going to hit them.

sutz

Reaction score
I think the "adapt" thing might be a bit overblown here. Marsh has been pretty good at getting positive yards almost every play. I have no doubt he'll "adapt" just fine.

:th2thumbs:

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Part of what he said was kudos to the OL and some to the current backs. He said good things about Jackson catching as well. He had slowed considerably this year and was still the big bruising back but reminded me a bit of the end of S jacksons time with the Rams. He just was slow to the hole and was no longer getting the 10 yard runs anymore. Lynch is a special talent but I fear the wear is showing with the many back and now hernia issues.

Laloosh

Reaction score
sutz":29fgjg73 said:
I think the "adapt" thing might be a bit overblown here. Marsh has been pretty good at getting positive yards almost every play. I have no doubt he'll "adapt" just fine.

Thing is, that's changed quite a bit this season. He's statistically one of the worst in that regard.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it's great that the run game is getting a solid ~5 yards per carry, regardless of back. if lynch returns, it would be good to see this continue. bringing lynch back, just for the sake of having him back, but averaging say 3.5 yards per carry would not be so great.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Cable has a certain way he wants things done, but I think it would be a mistake to try to change Marshawn's running style in the middle of the playoffs. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. According to sites like PFF, the reason Marshawn was not as efficient earlier in the season was because Cable's young offensive line was not getting it done. Now that they are blocking with a lot more confidence, I know Marshawn will be more than fine.

sutz

Reaction score
Laloosh":21k8lbyd said:
sutz":21k8lbyd said:

Thing is, that's changed quite a bit this season. He's statistically one of the worst in that regard.
Well, my statements were based on his being injured for much of the season and getting healthy now. Hopefully, that is the situation, in which case we would have 2 quite good, and 1 decent RBs on the roster.

Laloosh

Reaction score
sutz":x2obkoh4 said:
Laloosh":x2obkoh4 said:
sutz":x2obkoh4 said:

Well, my statements were based on his being injured for much of the season and getting healthy now. Hopefully, that is the situation, in which case we would have 2 quite good, and 1 decent RBs on the roster.

You're not alone in hoping that's the case.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
What the coach is saying is that this team has "morphed" over the past 5-6 games. The present team looks nothing like the team that played the first six games. Marshawn will be required to play into the present scheme......is he able to do that? We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Rob12

Reaction score
Laloosh":23g7zas7 said:
sutz":23g7zas7 said:

True, but there's reasons for it that go way beyond Marshawn's ability.

He has battled injuries this season, and when he was somewhat healthy the offensive line was in their infancy of growing up into a solid unit. That's also pulling from a very small sample size. I am really looking forward to a (hopefully) healthy Beast and this offensive line now. I'm expecting some pretty good results.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3oo1yp6r said:
Cable has a certain way he wants things done, but I think it would be a mistake to try to change Marshawn's running style in the middle of the playoffs. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. According to sites like PFF, the reason Marshawn was not as efficient earlier in the season was because Cable's young offensive line was not getting it done. Now that they are blocking with a lot more confidence, I know Marshawn will be more than fine.

I don't think Cable meant that Marshawn needs to change his running style. He mentioned tempo and minding the details, both of which I'm sure Marshawn can 'adapt' to without changing how he runs. I think the biggest obstacle he must clear is getting used to the different 'movement' that Cable mentioned. They have found what works for them and it would be counter-productive to go back and re-learn how to best block for Marshawn.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3373wmme said:
What the coach is saying is that this team has "morphed" over the past 5-6 games. The present team looks nothing like the team that played the first six games. Marshawn will be required to play into the present scheme......is he able to do that? We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I happen to agree with this point. They did morph into more of a spread offense.

The offensive line is not offensive any more. They are more experienced with the play calling and confident in their actions for the most part. They are not on top by no means but progressing at the right time.

The thing I hope to see is relative to Williams play. When he got flustered, he went back to his style of play. When that happened he was lost. I hope we stay with the same status quo that we have "morphed" into. That would be more in line with the aggressive play that the team is playing at this time.

justafan

Reaction score
To me he is saying that he doesnt want ML to mess with the team chemistry.
I dont think Lynch was ever the problem.The main reason we lost so many games early was Cables decision on who he wanted starting on the oline IMO

Scottemojo

Reaction score
But, I thought the only thing that changed was the execution got better? That is what I was told by Cable and Darrell and their tireless supporters.

Why would lynch have to adapt to better execution?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thing is, I don't think Cable is talking about new blocking schemes or whatever and am surprised people are reading the quotes that way.

It sounds to me like he's talking about professionalism, maturity, being in the details. If you read between the lines, it seems Cable thinks the players seem more focused when Lynch isn't there. That may be part of the reason the execution is better. There's no superstar player distracting everyone else by doing whatever the hell he wants in practice and even IN GAMES.

He's calling him out in a way for behavior that may have prevented the team from executing in the past. I'm the only who sees this in the quotes? Seems so obvious if you actually look at what he said.

iigakusei

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1b869nra said:
Thing is, I don't think Cable is talking about new schemes or whatever and am surprised people are reading the quotes that way.

It sounds to me like he's talking about professionalism, maturity, being in the details. If you read between the lines, it seems Cable thinks the players seem more focused when Lynch isn't there. That may be part of the reason the execution is better. No superstar player distracting everyone else by doing whatever the hell he wants in practice and even IN GAMES.

He's calling him out in a way for behavior that may have prevented the team from executing in the past. I'm the only who sees this in the quotes?
That is 100% what I thought too. Whether it be his games with the media, not being ready for the start of games, wearing a players jersey who is holding out etc. I think they have seen they can operate fine without him, and that makes his act a little tougher to take. Love Lynch the player, but let's be honest I think it is obvious that managing him takes a lot of work.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To me this is two things, as close as we will get to a statement that this is it for Lynch in Seattle, and a statement that this is Russell's team now.

Oh, and a third thing, they are really pissed that Lynch is doing his own thing and not with the team.

Still, if the much touted increase in offense is simply due to better execution, what does Lynch need to adapt to? That is my reaction to the actual words, the first three things are my reaction to the writing between the lines.

Seymour

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2oisyagk said:
Thing is, I don't think Cable is talking about new blocking schemes or whatever and am surprised people are reading the quotes that way.

It sounds to me like he's talking about professionalism, maturity, being in the details. If you read between the lines, it seems Cable thinks the players seem more focused when Lynch isn't there. That may be part of the reason the execution is better. There's no superstar player distracting everyone else by doing whatever the hell he wants in practice and even IN GAMES.

He's calling him out in a way for behavior that may have prevented the team from executing in the past. I'm the only who sees this in the quotes? Seems so obvious if you actually look at what he said.

I would agree that was the just of the message. Cable tipped off some of the disfunction of the team that has been cleaned up while Lynch has been away. Problem is, that message should be delivered one on one to Lynch himself and not made public IMO. Possibly it has, but I get the feeling prob. not. Also, I think much of this is Wilson vs Lynch issue and who's team this really is.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Definitely something going on between the lines. He's telling Lynch to grow up. I got the impression from Pete's' presser the other day that he's annoyed with the way Lynch is going about his rehab. He didn't say anything, more how he said it. (welcome to total speculation land). If he really is difficult to manage then they absolutely could be tired of his act. When it's the only way you have to get the 4 to 5 yards a carry you do it, but...We've seen they can do it with retreads from other teams practice squad (Ok it was lonely the Browns).

We are executing better. Bevell is calling better plays. The Oline is blocking better and Russell is staying in the pocket and JAGS at RB are getting it done.

I hate to think that ML is the kind of player that would or even could upset the team chemistry. Everything you hear from other players is what a great team mate he is. We all know he marches to a different beat, but I have never gotten the impression until now that that was ever a problem.