Road through the playoffs

ringless

Reaction score
Assuming Seattle plays an NFC East team. (Redskins) Then assuming they beat said team. Will they stay on the East coast? Or will they make the long trek back to Seattle and then fly all the way back to Carolina?

Thats some pretty serious distances. A lot of flying when players have some serious swelling going on.

Polaris

Reaction score
ringless":3faqcbkk said:
Assuming Seattle plays an NFC East team. (Redskins) Then assuming they beat said team. Will they stay on the East coast? Or will they make the long trek back to Seattle and then fly all the way back to Carolina?

Thats some pretty serious distances. A lot of flying when players have some serious swelling going on.

Contrary to popular rumor and myth, Seattle of late (last two years in fact) has played extremely well on the road even during the dreaded 10am PST start time games. I don't expect Pete to handle the situation any differently for two east coast games in the playoffs than he did during the regular season, i.e. the 'hawks will fly home and treat this as though it were two "10 am" starts. Why change what clearly isn't broken?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":1baucqgz said:

Nah they wouldn't stay on the east coast. They never did that in 2012 with back-to-back road games against Washington and Atlanta, really doubt they'd do it now.

chris98251

Reaction score
They like being home, we have the best facilities in the league, they have a routine that works, we are also playoff tested and not going to get caught up in happy to be there.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
falcongoggles":pay02q33 said:
If Seattle finishes 5th, wouldn't they then travel to Arizona after Wild Card round?
Only if the 6th seed beats the #3 seed.
#6 travels to #1 and #5 would travel to #2.

Polaris

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":171bqc8o said:
falcongoggles":171bqc8o said:
If Seattle finishes 5th, wouldn't they then travel to Arizona after Wild Card round?
Only if the 6th seed wins their game. If the 3rd seed beats the 6th seed, they will go to AZ

Right. Basically when the seeds are announced, the third seed and the sixth seed automatically know what opponents they'll face for the first two weeks if they survive. The fourth and fifth seeds don't. That's because in the NFL, you reseed the games after every round (unlike say the NBA). So the sixth seed always faces the third seed, and if the team survives that, the first seed. Likewise the third seed always faces the sixth seed, and if the team survives that, the second seed. Always. However, who the fourth and fifth seeds face depends entirely on the outcome of 6 vs 3.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I would like to add this to the discussion...

We beat the Rams, we will be >99% locked into play the NFC East winner or Minnesota in the Wild Card...so <1% chance of going to Green Bay in the first round. Why? Because in order for Green Bay to be the #3 and us the #6, Minnesota would have to finish 11-5 (and us 10-6) and be the #5. But in order for that to happen, they would have to win out, thus beating the Packers (giving them a fifth loss) and giving the Vikings the North (Minny has the divisional tie-breaker.) (ALSO: I have not confused the discussion with the Falcons...because they have <1% shot.)

If the Pack finishes with the #3 seed (and beat the Vikings in the WC,) they would go visit the #2 Cards and us to the Panthers. SO...only way we play the Pack would be the NFC Championship Game.

Now...could we play the Cards in the Wild Card? NO. Because they would have to be the #3 and us the #6...but...we would have to win that game in Glendale (putting them in a tie with GB) but then forcing us to the #5 because GB would have beaten the Vikings, putting them in a WC tie with us...*whew*!!
:snack:

(Again...ties changes things...)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's all about keeping the team schedule as normal as possible, so just as winning a regular season game on the east coast, they'd come back home.

Besides, there are scenarios where we'd play Arizona.

Ozzy

Reaction score
BlueTalons":zmht975b said:
I would like to add this to the discussion...

We beat the Rams, we will be >99% locked into play the NFC East winner or Minnesota in the Wild Card...so <1% chance of going to Green Bay in the first round. Why? Because in order for Green Bay to be the #3 and us the #6, Minnesota would have to finish 11-5 (and us 10-6) and be the #5. But in order for that to happen, they would have to win out, thus beating the Packers (giving them a fifth loss) and giving the Vikings the North (Minny has the divisional tie-breaker.) (ALSO: I have not confused the discussion with the Falcons...because they have <1% shot.)

If the Pack finishes with the #3 seed (and beat the Vikings in the WC,) they would go visit the #2 Cards and us to the Panthers. SO...only way we play the Pack would be the NFC Championship Game.

Now...could we play the Cards in the Wild Card? NO. Because they would have to be the #3 and us the #6...but...we would have to win that game in Glendale (putting them in a tie with GB) but then forcing us to the #5 because GB would have beaten the Vikings, putting them in a WC tie with us...*whew*!!
:snack:

(Again...ties changes things...)

Good post, thanks for sharing.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ringless":8z3as3fy said:

Moot point. If we get the 5th seed and beat the NFC East team, we'll face Arizona in the second round. If we get the 6th seed, we'll face the NFC North champ in the first round, either Green Bay or Minnesota.

But to answer your point, if the weather was better on the east coast, say if we were going to play Tampa Bay in the first round and Carolina in the second, I would definitely consider staying out there. It might be a nice change in venue for the team.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":237quds6 said:

Concern troll much?

It could also be that we destroy our poor NFC East opponent, and the Vikings upset an overrated GB team . . . leading to . . . a 2nd consecutive crushing defeat for the Cardinals to the Seahawks.

:tardssmall:

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":uvdhn68n said:
ringless":uvdhn68n said:

Moot point. If we get the 5th seed and beat the NFC East team, we'll face Arizona in the second round. If we get the 6th seed, we'll face the NFC North champ in the first round, either Green Bay or Minnesota.

But to answer your point, if the weather was better on the east coast, say if we were going to play Tampa Bay in the first round and Carolina in the second, I would definitely consider staying out there. It might be a nice change in venue for the team.

How do you come up with that??

If we are #5 and win the first round game (which would definitively be the NFC East winner, #4), the only way that we would play AZ (#2) next would be if #6 were to beat the NFC North winner (#3). Otherwise, we play Carolina second.

Polaris

Reaction score
RiverDog":2z0d1imb said:

Actually that's not true, or more accurately that's only true if the #6 seed wins as well (which I don't see if it's Minny). If (rather *when*) we beat the NFC East champ, chances are extremely good that we face Carolina as the lowest surviving seed.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I hope we don't get that damn Saturday game in either wc or divisional round. Especially a Sun.-Sat. scenario when we'd likely have to go to the East Coast back-to-back.

James in PA

Reaction score
The only place I'd hate to see us play in the playoffs is Green Bay. Not that I think they're better than us. Just the revenge factor for last years NFCCG and the refs undoubtedly getting caught up in the mystique of that place, etc. No thanks. Glad our chances of traveling there are pretty slim. At Carolina and at Zona sound much better to me. I think we can take both those teams on the road ... and *we'd* be the ones seeking revenge.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":24o133np said:
ringless":24o133np said:

Nah they wouldn't stay on the east coast. They never did that in 2012 with back-to-back road games against Washington and Atlanta, really doubt they'd do it now.

I agree 100% with looking at 2012. I however choose to learn from the results. We were manhandled in the first half by Atlanta. Why not learn from this and simply stay on the east coast

NINEster

Reaction score
Harbaugh had fantastic results with staying in Youngstown, OH for three seasons of back to back road games.

I don't think he lost the 2nd road game in any of those first three seasons. Last year, they didn't bother with it for the Saints/Giants back to back schedule, but still won both.

Now Youngstown, OH is an unofficial home base for the Niners courtesy of the Debartolo/York family. Not sure if Seattle has something similar in the midwest for such purposes.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ygkcs92v said:
ringless":ygkcs92v said:

This. We did start out slow against Atlanta, but the reason we lost that game was lack of a pass rush. Our best pass rusher went down with an ACL at FedX Field, not due to fatigue.