Has anyone rethought were Wilson's ceiling may be now?

blazen2392

Reaction score
I know it has only been a couple of games, but i fell into the trap that everyone was singing about him never being a great pocket passer. These last three weeks proved me soo wrong. Not only that, he may be as accurate as rodgers. Where do people think his ceiling may be now?

irocdave

Reaction score
Nope. He has shown he can be really good at it from day one. He is now showing he can do it consistently, which he needs to do to justify his pay grade as well as being viewed as a premiere QB in the NFL.

BTW, might want to revisit the thread title. I barely have a grip on the English language but I believe you meant "now" not "know".

Cartire

Reaction score
Anytime someone mentions ceiling, all i can think about is Eli, Ben, even Peyton. Ben didnt win his first SB either (if you believe the narrative about both RW and Him). It was his defense he rode the first time. He kinda rode it his second time a few years later. But he showed by that time that he could win on his back.

But regardless, those guys didnt show their ceiling till 4-5 years in. And even then, produced highly afterward (and longer for some)

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The most accurate QB has been Drew Brees, he's #1 for his career at 66.2%, and owns #1 and #2 for single seasons completion percentage at 70.6% (2009) and 71.2% (2011).

If Russell keeps playing at the level he's been playing for the next four games he could get into the 70% percent club at the end of the regular season, which only 4 QBs have done.

Right now Russell is at #8 for his career and for single season (this year) 68.5% he's actually outperforming Aaron Rodger's best year (2011) which Rodgers has at 68.3%

I'm looking forward to seeing Wilson breaking some more records.

You could make a argument that we shouldn't put the old era to the new age happy passing league but it is what it is.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... season.htm

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I never thought he had a ceiling any lower than Fran Tarkenton or Steve Young. Maybe lower than Joe Montana but that's in question as far as I'm concerned now. Because Montana was all about the intagibles and that takes time to prove out because it isn't black and white like statistics.

Cartire

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2bh8qte6 said:
You could make a argument that we shouldn't put the old era to the new age happy passing league but it is what it is.

Agree, but I still hold true that todays athletes (on both sides of the ball) would destroy yester-years athletes. So I find it ok for the records to continue unbiasly as the defenses are FAR faster then they used to be.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Cartire":1z7zp20t said:
theincrediblesok":1z7zp20t said:

Agree, but I still hold true that todays athletes (on both sides of the ball) would destroy yester-years athletes. So I find it ok for the records to continue unbiasly as the defenses are FAR faster then they used to be.

This I can agree with, I mean someone mention today's DT's are nimble as hell, and some can run pretty well.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Where's the guy who did a complete 180 on his opinion of Russell after he had a dream where Pete Carroll told him one chilling word about why they weren't offering him a big contract, "ceiling". That cracked me up. No shade btw.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Only ceiling for Russell I know of is on the shores of Lake Washington. Cost around 6 mil I think. Dude will win more Super Bowls than Brady and be in the HOF.

Mick063

Reaction score
When he is 40, folks will talk about him like they currently talk about Marino, Farve, Manning, and Brady.

That is his ceiling. He may not get that high, but that is his potential.

Cartire

Reaction score
Mick063":1vpde0ui said:
When he is 40, folks will talk about him like they currently talk about Marino, Farve, Manning, and Brady.

That is his ceiling. He may not get that high, but that is his potential.

I hate these expectations...

...Cause I have them too...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Remember we used to debate with the whiner fans on who was better between Wilson and Kapernik?

What a silly debate that was.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":35rtq5qv said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":35rtq5qv said:
He is on a hall of fame pace...he remains on such a pace.
Nice to see you post man. You don't seem to very often anymore.

I agree with what you said in this post.

Thanks. I still lurk a lot - but there the discussions here have generally been the same for a couple years and lviing so near Buffalo, I have a hard time taking them too seriously.

We have such a great team - I am just trying to enjoy the ride!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
irocdave":98u2dkrt said:
Nope. He has shown he can be really good at it from day one. He is now showing he can do it consistently, which he needs to do to justify his pay grade as well as being viewed as a premiere QB in the NFL.

BTW, might want to revisit the thread title. I barely have a grip on the English language but I believe you meant "now" not "know".

How is having a career passer rating of over 100 for his career not proving it so far? He has been good since midway through his rookie year

Honestly I couldnt care less about how he is viewed anymore. All he does is win and come up huge all the time