Mark "The Baker" Glowinski

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[youtube]QrVWq4G3dc0[/youtube]

Dude looked like a pancake making machine. Granted, it was a highlight video. Still very impressive. Any idea how he is coming along?

BBQHawk

Reaction score
Something about this video made me wonder, is Cable just to enamored with Physical upside and less aware of technically sound play at OL? Do we want physical specimens or guys that can actually play the position with some technique?

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I keep hoping that we will finally see his master plan transpire. Keep hoping that all these converted D linemen will evolve into road graders with sumo like technique. Keep hoping that he knows what he's doing, and this will be the year. So far we have, Sweezy. And he is far from a finished product.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think he's the backup RG right? So that would put him behind Sweezy, who for some foul reason, appears to be Tom Cable's all-time favorite player. Glow isn't gonna see the field so long as Sweezy and Cable are here together.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's a highlight video. You can't watch that and assume he would do the exact same thing in the Pros.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BBQHawk":wuhwulbq said:
Something about this video made me wonder, is Cable just to enamored with Physical upside and less aware of technically sound play at OL? Do we want physical specimens or guys that can actually play the position with some technique?

When you're given third day picks to work with, I don't think you can expect to get both. I'd guess he rightly assumes that for Day 3 picks technique is more coachable than physical ability.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Glow looks like a technician more than a power guy. The pancakes are because people were going sideways, not because he overpowered anybody.

He does look pretty good (from my limited knowledge), but I don't see power there, and that's what Tom likes. And after the Dallas game, I think Cable is going to be proved correct.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We don't know because he doesn't really play.

He's listed as having 6 total plays (2.7%). So I'm going with no idea.

Although given that we're breaking in new players at LG/C and RT -- I'm not exactly surprised we're not rushing to add a 4th new player in. Overall, expect him to play very sparingly while he learns the system. He's a development player, much like Gilliam and Nowak were. If Sweezy goes down, Glow will elevate. Sweezy happened to be competing with Moffitt in year one, so he was able to see the field much more quickly.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ivotuk":124o67rl said:
Glow looks like a technician more than a power guy. The pancakes are because people were going sideways, not because he overpowered anybody.

He does look pretty good (from my limited knowledge), but I don't see power there, and that's what Tom likes. And after the Dallas game, I think Cable is going to be proved correct.

Glowinski is definitely a power guy . . . 31 bench press reps at the combine:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552467

Brute strength, power, and finishing blocks are his strengths right now. He needs to continue to improve his footwork and pass pro technique.

I expect him to start at RG next year after Sweezy signs elsewhere in free agency, and I think he will ultimately be a more consistent presence than Sweezy.

jblaze

Reaction score
In our offense our RG is lighter and more of a tactician that pulls and gets to the second level.

LG is bigger and road graders in our offense. Cable laid out what he looks for in each spot earlier this year.

I don't think Sweezy is going anywhere, he'll get re-signed in the offseason. Glow will likely stay a versatile backup for a while.

Okung will likely walk so we need a solid LT with our first pick, probably a RT with our 3rd rounder and we'll live with our guards. Center may be a free agency pickup. They seem least impressed with center than anything.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Glowinski is another in the line of high SPARQ, solid athletic ability, limited experience, OLinemen most Lineman conversions the team seems to be acquiring lately. We have been drafting late in each draft recently mostly b/c of the team's success so choosing good athletes to potentially develop is a pattern the FO seems to be choosing.

I liked the pick of Glowinski as he has a high physical upside but he's raw and needs to be coached up. At present he clearly isn't much more than a backup but has the potential to be more as others have mentioned here. He could round into a very solid OLineman in time as a few others could as well. I still remain encouraged by the development of Gilliam, Sokoli, Nowak, and recently Britt. That said all in all the team likely made a mistake in not acquiring a starting quality OC before this season started as the development of the interior OLine has been painful to watch at times.

In every draft there are usually only a few OLinemen that develop into immediate capable starters and they usually get picked early and well before the Hawks has a shot at them. Like any off the wall plan it may take a bit before the reality of a good OLine rounds into shape. Until then we all can hope that RW doesn't get hurt by all the sacks and hits he's taking.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jblaze":2v4ipran said:
In our offense our RG is lighter and more of a tactician that pulls and gets to the second level.

LG is bigger and road graders in our offense. Cable laid out what he looks for in each spot earlier this year.

I don't think Sweezy is going anywhere, he'll get re-signed in the offseason. Glow will likely stay a versatile backup for a while.

Okung will likely walk so we need a solid LT with our first pick, probably a RT with our 3rd rounder and we'll live with our guards. Center may be a free agency pickup. They seem least impressed with center than anything.

Would you provide a link to where you think Cable said that our LG has to be a bigger road grader? I know some posters on this board have speculated on that, but in reality, James Carpenter is the only bigger, road grader type we have had at LG since Tom Cable has been here.

Most of the other starting LGs under Cable have been longer with a different body type: Robert Gallery in 2011, Paul McQuistan as a part-time starter at LG in 2011 and 2012 (John Moffit, J.R. Sweezy, and Carpenter also started some games at LG), Justin Britt is the current starter at LG, and the current backup is another longer athlete with a similar body type in Kristjan Sokoli.

Schneider also said prior to this season than re-signing Russell Okung would be a priority. That doesn't mean we will have the money to re-sign him, but I do think it was noteworthy that he mentioned Okung instead of Sweezy. I think it's also noteworthy that they have been training a backup for Sweezy for the last several months by keeping Glowinksi primarily at one position.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here were a few plays of Glowinski (#63) playing RG in the preseason:

SpanishDefinitiveIchthyosaurs

WillingBadCarp.gif

CalmShadowyCorydorascatfish.gif

FrayedOfficialAtlanticblackgoby

DownrightFavoriteBunting

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
1. Sweezy has never taken a snap at LG since he has been with Seattle.
2. Sweezy will get a contract offer from the Seahawks.......I think other teams will pay more though
3. I'm not sold on Glowinski.....Cable made moves to get Gilliam on the field, Bailey is the backup for pretty much every position and Glowinski isn't activated EVER.
4. Those plays from the preseason are against guys who aren't even in the league anymore.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":xvxjvw4z said:
1. Sweezy has never taken a snap at LG since he has been with Seattle.
2. Sweezy will get a contract offer from the Seahawks.......I think other teams will pay more though
3. I'm not sold on Glowinski.....Cable made moves to get Gilliam on the field, Bailey is the backup for pretty much every position and Glowinski isn't activated EVER.
4. Those plays from the preseason are against guys who aren't even in the league anymore.

Glowinski and Sokoli are rookies who are gaining experience in this system while playing behind veterans.

Bailey and Gilliam are not rookies. Bailey is in his 3rd year and has starting experience, including a Super Bowl, at multiple positions, and Gilliam is in his 2nd year and was the only legitimate OT prospect on the roster to replace Britt at RT.

The Broncos DE that Glowinski is blocking in the first clip remains on the active roster, so you didn't really do your homework before posting that statement.

Glowinski is blocking a little high here, relying too much on his upper body strength, but he does do a nice job turning the DE away from the play to open a huge hole for Rawls through the right B gap:
SpanishDefinitiveIchthyosaurs

Nowak pancakes his man, and I think that is Poole at RT with a borderline hold to seal off that hole.