USA Today article lays more of the blame on Wilson

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /74345394/

Interestingly, two key plays that made huge differences for us (or would have) in two important losses.

1 - the missed opportunity to Lockett that would have been a huge gain for us and a move into scoring position.

2 - the play that turned into a back breaking holding call, assuring we would not be able to convert the drive and the Panthers would get the bacll back.

Some others in there but it clearly shows some big missed opportunities that are part of the reason we are not scoring TDs this year.

mrt144

Reaction score
And despite that they still praise him relative to his peers. RW gonna cause all the feels over the next 3 years.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rocket":2931wjdh said:
"RW gonna cause all the feels over the next 3 years "

Might we rephrase that one?

So many opinions will be had. Strap in!

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Let's be clear on Wilson.

I rip him relentlessly because people put him in categories he has not achieved, and frankly may never achieve.

But his progress and trajectory are borderline unmatched by almost any QB, ever. He does things that you have to reach back to Tark to find examples of, for example his Steve Young impressions are better than Steve Young did.

On the move, he is peerless and almost impossible to defend. With a competent running game, and some good passes sprinkled between - he is deadly.

But he isn't good at a lot of the things that QBs should know how to do by Year 4. Some of that is having to develop other parts of his game to offset other shortcomings. Some of that is he didn't need to because he has those other options.

But if he wants to take the next step and be an elite QB, he is going to have to develop those other skills. If nothing else, just for career longevity. And with his work ethic and drive, I think he can. I sure hope he can.

But as stated before, the first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge it. And I think Wilson started to believe his own clippings a bit, which held him back this year. Either that, or something else in his life is holding him back - injury, personal issues, allergies or alien mind control...I don't care. What I do care about is the results are not there this year and it is not just the line, or an incompetent OC (as he did OK with a pretty poor OC for several years now).

It also points to the truth, that this might be a problem that Wilson fixing can turn this team around. That combined with Lynch back can possibly breathe new life into a team where expectations are falling into the tank on.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2xypq2g5 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/651815205756895232[/tweet]

Well it just goes to show that the media is about two years behind the fans on this board, we have been saying this since the TJack era.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Stuff like "he won’t stand in there and go through multiple reads. That’s a big reason why Seattle can’t run an expansive passing game." just sour me on the article before I can get through the first 1/3 of it.

He won't stand in there, because it's a freaking meat grinder lol. I'd be on edge with the way that line has (not) blocked.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well there is a reason that QB's in a zone blocking scheme take punishment, look at the multiple QB's in Oakland they went thru, look at how Elway then Jake were abused in Denver with it.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":mezp8wfe said:
Well there is a reason that QB's in a zone blocking scheme take punishment, look at the multiple QB's in Oakland they went thru, look at how Elway then Jake were abused in Denver with it.

When one is talking about zone blocking teams, it is in reference to the way they block in the RUN game. Unless you are inferring that typically zone teams will use smaller quicker lineman...but even then I don't follow because pass blocking is more finesse than brute power anyway. Unless your name is Walter Jones and you can do whatever you feel like at any given moment :D

How we block the run game should have nothing to do with how well we protect Wilson in the pass game.

I will say it is almost shocking to me how much ground our interior 3 give up in the pass game even when not technically beaten. The whole reason you see the Brees and the Bradys and the Mannings climb the pocket is because the guards and center aren't conceding 5 yds of real estate on every dropback.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd agree with most of what you just said Largent, but with pass blocking you still have to be able to anchor.

Guys try to get around you with speed. And I'd agree, a smaller, quicker OLman shouldn't have too much issues with that. But when a guy bull rushes, you have to be able to anchor that. We see it all the time with our OL; guys getting blown back into the pocket, the pocket collapsing, and guys getting thrown into Wilson.

Avril actually is really good at this. He's so damn fast off the ball, but he has an amazing bull rush. It's what got Manning in the Superbowl and Newton last week.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Laloosh":15vefrp6 said:
Stuff like "he won’t stand in there and go through multiple reads. That’s a big reason why Seattle can’t run an expansive passing game." just sour me on the article before I can get through the first 1/3 of it.

He won't stand in there, because it's a freaking meat grinder lol. I'd be on edge with the way that line has (not) blocked.

They're both true. O-line is bad and Wilson needs work to do on his pocket passing. Simple facts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No way, an article ripping Wilson (even behind that swiss cheese line), that never happens :lol:
Sometimes it is clear that he starts moving forward on the rare occasion that they actually give him a pocket to pass from. Makes you wonder if there's a clock in his head expecting to get drilled w/in 3 seconds.

Rex

Reaction score
RW's O line is crap which isn't his fault. He's a legit top 5 QB.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2sobpbyv said:
Let's be clear on Wilson.

I rip him relentlessly because people put him in categories he has not achieved, and frankly may never achieve.

But his progress and trajectory are borderline unmatched by almost any QB, ever. He does things that you have to reach back to Tark to find examples of, for example his Steve Young impressions are better than Steve Young did.

On the move, he is peerless and almost impossible to defend. With a competent running game, and some good passes sprinkled between - he is deadly.

But he isn't good at a lot of the things that QBs should know how to do by Year 4. Some of that is having to develop other parts of his game to offset other shortcomings. Some of that is he didn't need to because he has those other options.

But if he wants to take the next step and be an elite QB, he is going to have to develop those other skills. If nothing else, just for career longevity. And with his work ethic and drive, I think he can. I sure hope he can.

But as stated before, the first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge it. And I think Wilson started to believe his own clippings a bit, which held him back this year. Either that, or something else in his life is holding him back - injury, personal issues, allergies or alien mind control...I don't care. What I do care about is the results are not there this year and it is not just the line, or an incompetent OC (as he did OK with a pretty poor OC for several years now).

It also points to the truth, that this might be a problem that Wilson fixing can turn this team around. That combined with Lynch back can possibly breathe new life into a team where expectations are falling into the tank on.

The game is slowing down for Cam Newton and Andy Dalton in their fifth year. Russell Wilson is in his fourth. It's neither surprising nor discouraging to me that Wilson has his n00b moments, especially given the quality of the surrounding cast (OL and receivers alike).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As a Wilson Apologist it is my duty to deflect some of the blame away from him and note that it is the experience - or severe lack-thereof - of our offensive line that to me is the reason for most signs of stagnation or even regression in Year 4.

Well, that and Blue Balls.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Aros":3v2w4d2e said:
As a Wilson Apologist it is my duty to deflect some of the blame away from him and note that it is the experience - or severe lack-thereof - of our offensive line that to me is the reason for most signs of stagnation or even regression in Year 4.

Well, that and Blue Balls.

[youtube]mndNcAn2WRk[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3cgklud0 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/651815205756895232[/tweet]

Pete's always had remedial schemes, on both sides of the ball. So this is not really earth shattering news.

Our team is SUPPOSE to be predicated on one thing and one thing only, we going to hit you in the mouth harder than you hit us. Our athletes are stronger, faster and tougher than your athletes.

So what we're seeing this year is not any major switch in scheme, we're seeing a shift in physicality and who's nastier. It's still there on both sides of the ball, but it's not consistent enough..........and in the 4th quarter, it's non existent.