Big plays and toxic differential

Laloosh

Reaction score
Alright, so most of you have probably heard terms like "explosive plays" or "big plays" thrown around here and there. Some of you probably know of and have read about "toxic differential". Seattle has been pretty amazing in both categories over the past few seasons so in case you have not, here are some explanations.

Big Plays:
Big Play Differential measures the difference between the total number of passing and rushing big plays for a team and the total passing and rushing big plays allowed by the teams defense. Passing big play is one in which the yards gained on the passing play equal 25 yards or more while a rushing big play is one in which the yards gained on the rushing play equal 10 yards or more.

Toxic Differential:
Toxic Differential is a statistic in football used to measure a team on their ability in creating and preventing both turnovers and explosive plays. Toxic Differential is calculated by adding together a teams turnover differential (takeaways - giveaways) and its big play differential (big plays for - big plays against).

Toxic differential is a combination of three different differential statistics:

1) Turnover differential, which is the difference between the total number of takeaways (opponent turnovers) less the total number of giveaways (team turnovers.

2) Passing Big Play differential, which is the difference between the total number of passing plays of 25+ yards by the team less the total number of passing plays of 25+ yards the team gave up.

3) Rushing Big Play differential, which is the difference between the total number of rushing plays of 10+ yards by the team less the total number of rushing plays of 10+ yards the team gave up.

Simply add these three up.
A higher toxic differential is better.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's look at some statistics (past and present).

HhKrZf9

Big Play Differential:
Seattle has been 3rd, 2nd and 1st respectively in 2012, 2013 and 2014 in big play differential. Just to put into perspective just how good in 2014, Seattle was 1st with a 66 in big play differential. 2nd place was Denver with 48 and the next best team was Baltimore at 26. That's a BIG difference.

In 2015, Seattle is currently tied for 2nd in Big Play Diff with Cincinnati. Only the NY Jets being better at 14.

The big reason for Seattle not leading in this category, is Seattle's Big Pass Play Diff of -1. In all of 2014, Seattle gave up 14 pass plays of 25+ yards. So far in 2015, they've already given up 12! You know what else? 7/12 have come in the 4th quarter and 6 of those occurred while Seattle was leading...

Toxic Differential:
Seattle has dominated the toxic differential stat over the previous two seasons. Just to give an example, in 2014, Denver was second with a TD of 53 and 3rd was Green Bay with a 37. It's obscene how well our team did with regard to big play and turnover differentials in both seasons.

In any case, this time of year you can expect the majority of toxic differential to come from big play differential as most teams won't have a very large turnover differential by comparison. This season, our big play differential is hurting us due to the number of big passing plays as well as having given the ball away seven times this season (only 14 times all of last year).

Summary:
We're still in the first half of the season but the fact that we have given up more big pass plays than we have had, is a very bad sign of things to come if this defense can't turn it around. The biggest concern for me, is that the majority of these plays come in the 4th quarter while leading the game and we shouldn't be letting anybody get behind us.

I do find it reassuring that we are still in the top 5 in both categories and that preventing those big pass plays that we're usually so good about, would put is into 1st in both. Stop giving up big drives in the 4th quarter and we could be looking at another 9-10 win run because that's been the difference in all but one of our games so far.

Anyway, just something to look at if you had five minutes to kill.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Excellent post.

I think the biggest issue is the defense adjusting to Kris Richard's style. He does things differently, and I think he's adding new dimensions to the defense as can be seen with the blitzes he's added. They work great most of the time, but I think they are opening up the secondary to confusion when it comes to Coverages.

I'm Wondering if we'd be better off with a full time DB coach?