Inexcusable List

Optimus25

Reaction score
I created this thread to vent a few things that stuck with me from last night, and maybe you have some of your own. The spirit of this thread is the small bitches and complaints you have that may not necessarily be addressed in any other discussion, but in your opinion greatly affected the outcome of the game.

1. 3rd and 16 on green bay 42. Score is 10-3 around early 2nd qtr. We throw a deep fade to kearse incomplete. WTF?. Do we have a lower percentage play in the playbook?.

1b. On a deep fade, why is the call not for matthews?. Is there any rational argument on the face of the earth that suggests we should throw that ball up for kearse instead?

1c. In this situation, a small 7 yard completion creates a 52 ish yard field goal attempt. Hauschka hit from 54 already. Jimmy was iso with a backer and could have easily squared up for this kind of completion to make it happen. What the hell bevell?. Re-watching this play alone makes me question pete coming out and saying how they were constantly looking to get jimmy involved but it just didn't work out.

Mine were all conveniently centered on one play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good questions. I'll try:

1. I'm not sure anyone has a "conservative" or safer play for a 3rd and 16 outside of a screen. You're going to have to throw the ball downfield.

1b. Good question. All I can think of is that Wilson seems to trust Kearse in that situation above all other WRs. I honestly don't know what it takes to keep chemistry going from last year, but Matthews was out a bit of TC.

1c. Valid point. Take the yards and get some points. 3rd and 16 is a very tough play to make. Collinsworth came out with a Captain Obvious comment about one of our 3rd and 15's, saying "this offense doesn't have a gimme play for a 3rd and 15". News flash: no teams have a gimme play for a 3rd and 15 when the defense knows it's coming. It's one of the hardest things to do in the NFL.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawks46":22g6k8yu said:

1. I'm not sure anyone has a "conservative" or safer play for a 3rd and 16 outside of a screen. You're going to have to throw the ball downfield.

1b. Good question. All I can think of is that Wilson seems to trust Kearse in that situation above all other WRs. I honestly don't know what it takes to keep chemistry going from last year, but Matthews was out a bit of TC.

1c. Valid point. Take the yards and get some points. 3rd and 16 is a very tough play to make. Collinsworth came out with a Captain Obvious comment about one of our 3rd and 15's, saying "this offense doesn't have a gimme play for a 3rd and 15". News flash: no teams have a gimme play for a 3rd and 15 when the defense knows it's coming. It's one of the hardest things to do in the NFL.

Green Bay seemed to have the answers last night. It happened time and time again.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It is weird for a team so conservative that frequently runs on 3rd and long to run a play on the opposite extreme. It seemed like a shorter pass, hoping for some YAC would be the way to go.

Of course, if the long pass had worked, and it nearly did, we might all be in better spirits today (and we would be "excusing" the play call).

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1z0c27r2 said:
Hawks46":1z0c27r2 said:

Green Bay seemed to have the answers last night. It happened time and time again.

And the Rams had it last week. 3rd and long against this defense is a gimme.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":27nb2gaf said:
Bigpumpkin":27nb2gaf said:
Hawks46":27nb2gaf said:

And the Rams had it last week. 3rd and long against this defense is a gimme.

Too soon man. Too soon.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
minormillikin":1dpq4oph said:
It is weird for a team so conservative that frequently runs on 3rd and long to run a play on the opposite extreme. It seemed like a shorter pass, hoping for some YAC would be the way to go.

Of course, if the long pass had worked, and it nearly did, we might all be in better spirits today (and we would be "excusing" the play call).
Sorry but i disagree.( Regarding " it nearly did") I just watched it three times, and kearse was helpless and hopeless. Matthews could have climbed the ladder on randall because randall is only 5'11", and he's a converted safety so he can't have supreme ball skills quite yet.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
ST blocking. Lockett didn't stand a chance, we almost got him killed yesterday and he still broke off a couple of good ones; including that lateral run where he made a bunch of guys look slow.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Jumping offsides on every other play (also known as "Doing it Bennett Style") is bad enough. So is lining up in the neutral zone 2 or 3 times a game.

But it's inexcusable if you: A) jump offsides; and then B) stand there motionless like a freakin' marble statue once you've been flagged!

Someone needs to tell Bennett: "If you jump offsides, you better make the QB pay for it by knocking him down!"

NO MORE "FREE PLAYS" COURTESY OF MICHAEL BENNETT!!

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Just finished rewatching the game, and I'll add burning timeouts. We had to call a timeout after the botched handoff to lynch, where the refs just took forever figuring everything out from the offsides and the packer pulling our guy off the fumble pile. We had almost a full minute and a half to get a play together on the pause, instead we come to the line looking discombobulated and call a timeout, only to line-up for the next play and have Wilson quickly get rushed and throw it away. Overall a piss poor series punctuated by a wasted timeout.

marko358

Reaction score
Optimus25":2vj6vxas said:
Just finished rewatching the game, and I'll add burning timeouts. We had to call a timeout after the botched handoff to lynch, where the refs just took forever figuring everything out from the offsides and the packer pulling our guy off the fumble pile. We had almost a full minute and a half to get a play together on the pause, instead we come to the line looking discombobulated and call a timeout, only to line-up for the next play and have Wilson quickly get rushed and throw it away. Overall a piss poor series punctuated by a wasted timeout.

Time management has been an issue for too long on this team. Inexcusable.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":1o0xh2lq said:
Jumping offsides on every other play (also known as "Doing it Bennett Style") is bad enough. So is lining up in the neutral zone 2 or 3 times a game.

But it's inexcusable if you: A) jump offsides; and then B) stand there motionless like a freakin' marble statue once you've been flagged!

Someone needs to tell Bennett: "If you jump offsides, you better make the QB pay for it by knocking him down!"

NO MORE "FREE PLAYS" COURTESY OF MICHAEL BENNETT!!

Well said. Can i add the yin to your yang?. Will okung ever please learn to listen what Russell says in the huddle and only come out of his stance on that count?.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Okay, here's one that torqued me:

Third and three at our own 42 at the two minute mark of the first half. We have shotgun, trips left and JG wide right all by himself with man coverage. I'm thinking it's a gimme to Graham for three yards, but instead we hand it to Marshawn for no gain - probably because the run had been working so well for us up to that point...

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
gtcotcakya":3bung34r said:
Okay, here's one that torqued me:

Third and three at our own 42 at the two minute mark of the first half. We have shotgun, trips left and JG wide right all by himself with man coverage. I'm thinking it's a gimme to Graham for three yards, but instead we hand it to Marshawn for no gain - probably because the run had been working so well for us up to that point...

Wow. I just saw that... i didn't notice that was jimmy and just assumed it was kearse. What. The. Hell. :229031_banghead: .

Latest posts