Sweezy and Jimmy

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Is there any reason why we couldn't just put Jimmy out at WR and then have a blocking TE on the line? I can't imagine any of our wideout's any better than Graham and Graham out wide would cause some serious issues for any opponent.

As for Sweezy, why wouldn't we put him at LG and have a solid left side as we once had before int he Jones era?
Just curious here.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. The offense has been vanilla. Who knows what they really plan to do with Graham. His blocking is just something he needs to keep working on and get comfortable yet. 2 pre-season games in doesnt mean he'll be so inconsistent 8 games in.

2. Britt is fine at LG the position he played as a Freshman and was a LT as a senior. I dont think Sweezy will be good on the left. He still kind of raw which makes him inconsistent at times and now youre asking him to change up his footwork. Doesnt make sense. Britt makes sense.

kearly

Reaction score
I think the OP is onto something, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Graham used less as a blocker as the season rolls on after several doses of reality are handed out. One thing I love about Pete is that when he has an overly zany idea that fails, he usually recognizes it quickly and makes swift changes.

The only problem with playing Graham at WR more is that he'd probably take those reps in the slot, which means he'd be taking reps away from two very good slot WRs in Lockett and Baldwin. Lockett and Baldwin can play outside and be decent, but they are at their best in the slot.

It's also harder to move Graham away from TE when our backup TEs are actually worse at blocking than he is. (I really hope blocking TE is a priority in the draft next year).

But that said, Graham will never justify the money and draft picks if they use him more for blocking than catching. I think as the season goes on we'll see tweaks to get Graham more looks and less blocking.

Cartire

Reaction score
1. You will see Graham line up wideout sometimes. He did it alot in NO, he'll do it here as well. Not always, but it will happen.

2. Run-Blocking is still our bread-n-butter. Why move a solid guard from a position he has played the last 2 years to the left and further weaken our right side? As much as people hate on Okung for his injuries and penalties, the guy is still a solid tackle on the left side and will be able to help Britt come into his own there. A new RT and new RG on the same side, not if we dont have to please.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Cartire":2tlbh2p6 said:
1. You will see Graham line up wideout sometimes. He did it alot in NO, he'll do it here as well. Not always, but it will happen.

2. Run-Blocking is still our bread-n-butter. Why move a solid guard from a position he has played the last 2 years to the left and further weaken our right side? As much as people hate on Okung for his injuries and penalties, the guy is still a solid tackle on the left side and will be able to help Britt come into his own there. A new RT and new RG on the same side, and now were scheming more the the left, and other teams know it.

I just don't think Sweezy is so ingrained at RG this early in his OL career that he can't change without much to do.

The reason for my thinking here comes from when we had Jones and Hutch. Those two blew holes through the left side for SA and though, Okung and Sweezy would never be confused for Jones and Hutch, they still would be a formidable pair to deal with.

Don't know why exactly Jimmy would have to be in the Slot. I think put him on the outside, and put Mathews on the other side, how will anyone cover them?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think what they're exploring with Graham is if they can force defenses into tough decisions by lining him up in line. It forces them to choose whether they want to keep an extra LB on the field to guard the run or go to nickel in case Graham leaks out on play-action. Perhaps it gets defenses into more zone concepts, which would be helpful since Russell sometimes struggled against man. Putting a "blocking TE" (do we even have one?) there makes the decision easier, as an LB can usually match up in a passing situation. Hard to see results of this now since teams stay pretty basic in preseason and don't scheme for talent.

I imagine we'll see him plenty out wide this season, too.

Re: Sweezy. Generally, you have guys who are more specialized in run-blocking on the right side. I'm not sure you want Sweezy protecting Russell's blinde side (not that the alternatives are a lot better right now).

chris98251

Reaction score
A smart OC would disguise formations with his versatility, start him lined up as a blocker then shift him to a slot or a wide out or vice versa, would do wonders to offset predictability. Problem is we do very little shifting of formations. Most the time it's sending our RB out as a WR.

northseahawk

Reaction score
That's why I wanted Z.Miller so bad. They could have done as you proposed so well with how good Miller was as a blocker.

Luke Wilson is just plain pathetic. Can't block, can run routes, can't catch. What a waste of physical talent. I would be a freakin monster if I was 6'5, 250, 4.4 speed. Too bad I'm not. :/

RussB

Reaction score
They are planning on using Luke Willson and Jimmy G as a dual threat TE combo. Then have speedy recievers like baldwin and lockette on the outside.

Seafan

Reaction score
The thing I like about Lockett and Richardson is they are both willing blockers. If they can run block so can Jimmy. His pass blocking looked like it could use some help but the entire pocket was collasping/imploding so I don't think anyone can get a true picture of his ability there. Willson is not good at pass blocking either. Makes me wonder if they'll keep Allen as the third TE. The problem with using blocking and then receiving TEs is it gives it away to the defense. Hopefully Jimmy can step it up.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seafan":3rymp0bh said:
The thing I like about Lockett and Richardson is they are both willing blockers. If they can run block so can Jimmy. His pass blocking looked like it could use some help but the entire pocket was collasping/imploding so I don't think anyone can get a true picture of his ability there. Willson is not good at pass blocking either. Makes me wonder if they'll keep Allen as the third TE. The problem with using blocking and then receiving TEs is it gives it away to the defense. Hopefully Jimmy can step it up.

He seems quite intelligent. I believe that he will improve his blocking techniques.....not saying that he will become a "super blocker" , however.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seafan":3t6bqf04 said:

THats exactly why I thought Jimmy split out at WR.

1 he's better than any wr we have right now.
2 We get a blocker in at TE

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":lcoma31y said:
Seafan":lcoma31y said:

THats exactly why I thought Jimmy split out at WR.

1 he's better than any wr we have right now.
2 We get a blocker in at TE
Bevell isn't that intellegent fool!

El Caliente

Reaction score
As Seahawks fans will tell Saints fans, "Enjoy Unger for the 8 games he will play each season." So I will say, "Jimmy will keep working on his blocking, but he isn't going to get better." What your seeing now, is what you will continue to get, and Jimmy doesn't care. During his contract negotiations he kept bringing up the fact that he spent 60% of his plays lined up as a receiver, 40% as a blocker.

He is going to be on the field for you, and unless he is roughed up, he is going to give you a great performance. Live it up with him, but don't overthink it. He isn't going to get Lynch into the end zone on a goalline play, but he will get you a first down.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
El Caliente":1hr7q69i said:
As Seahawks fans will tell Saints fans, "Enjoy Unger for the 8 games he will play each season." So I will say, "Jimmy will keep working on his blocking, but he isn't going to get better." What your seeing now, is what you will continue to get, and Jimmy doesn't care. During his contract negotiations he kept bringing up the fact that he spent 60% of his plays lined up as a receiver, 40% as a blocker.

He is going to be on the field for you, and unless he is roughed up, he is going to give you a great performance. Live it up with him, but don't overthink it. He isn't going to get Lynch into the end zone on a goalline play, but he will get you a first down.
I'll take it and deal, question is will the NFC do the same? Methinks....not.

Isn't it insane our front 7 is likely better than 2013? And well, the LOB already seems to be getting back....Kam nonwithstanding.

I'm all good with giving Wilson his "Linus" blanket in trade.:)

Fade

Reaction score
Jimmy just needs to run scat protection and clear routes on running plays. The defense has to account for him on every play. If a defender cheats then Bevell & RW will get the pictures on the sidelines, and they will go to him.

I think for the preseason they just want to get the full eval on him to see how good / bad he is at certain things. If the Hawks continue to use him like they have been inline (like he's Zach Miller) Bevell will be forever exposed for having no clue.

2 TEs would be my base formation come week 1, w/Luke Willson inline & Jimmy flexed. That way you can easily motion him every play, know the defense the opponent is in, and also create mismatches.

pmedic920

Reaction score
2Cool4School":kresy642 said:
They are planning on using Luke Willson and Jimmy G as a dual threat TE combo. Then have speedy recievers like baldwin and lockette on the outside.

Have you been sneaking into meetings again?
Do by chance have a link to this info?
I'd be willing to bet a dollar that a bunch of us would like to read those quotes.

Mick063

Reaction score
Every reaction is an over reaction.

By the fans, not the coaches.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
???? Some of you are acting like Britt was a miserable flop at LG last game. Very positive reviews beg to differ.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bobblehead":248sy2lg said:
Is there any reason why we couldn't just put Jimmy out at WR and then have a blocking TE on the line? I can't imagine any of our wideout's any better than Graham and Graham out wide would cause some serious issues for any opponent.

Im sure they will do that plenty during the regular season.