Sweezy and Jimmy

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1z6pf5qp said:
Is there any reason why we couldn't just put Jimmy out at WR and then have a blocking TE on the line? I can't imagine any of our wideout's any better than Graham and Graham out wide would cause some serious issues for any opponent.

As for Sweezy, why wouldn't we put him at LG and have a solid left side as we once had before int he Jones era?
Just curious here.

My sources indicate to me that this is probably the most likely scenario that we will see.

Keep monitoring this situation very closely.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":iv0bjebk said:
1. The offense has been vanilla. Who knows what they really plan to do with Graham. His blocking is just something he needs to keep working on and get comfortable yet. 2 pre-season games in doesnt mean he'll be so inconsistent 8 games in.

2. Britt is fine at LG the position he played as a Freshman and was a LT as a senior. I dont think Sweezy will be good on the left. He still kind of raw which makes him inconsistent at times and now youre asking him to change up his footwork. Doesnt make sense. Britt makes sense.

This. Exactly.

There's so much knee jerk reaction. So, Graham isn't the blocker that Miller was, 2 games into the Pre Season ? <shows my shocked face> It's a work in progress. Also, we're not going to use him as a "blocking" TE, but covering a TE is so much more difficult when he blocks down, then goes out on a route. THe LBer makes a couple of read steps, and might even start filling the run, then Graham rears up and blows by him. Then you start to get indecision when Graham does block and the LB just takes his read steaps but fills late because he's not sure if Graham is going to release.

I played LBer, and the biggest TE I ever had to cover was 6'5". I'm (or was) 5'11" 1/2 so the only two options you have when a guy like that comes to your hook zone is blast him as hard as you can (doesn't always work that well when the guy is bigger and stronger than you), or keep him in front of you and when the ball is thrown, you come in as hard and fast as you can, jump as high as you can and hope like hell you can disrupt the pass and you have safety help behind you. Anything else is just surrending an easy catch in your hook zone. I can't imagine trying to cover a guy like Graham, especially if he was blocking down and I'm moving forward already. The worst thing that can happen to you is he gets behind you.

Those are precisely the reasons you want Graham blocking. Jimmy is such a special player that he's never really had to block.

Or, you can just put him out in space where everyone knows what will happen. All the time. Then again, that sounds like something Bevell would like.

Also, I hear a lot of talk on this site about Sweezy being an elite Guard. He's elite at a few things, like getting his man on the ground by chopping his legs, he does get good push in the run game, and he's one of the best at peeling off and getting his secondary targets in space. He's still a bad pass blocker, and he doesn't always pull well either. So, like PH said, if you switch him up, it takes away his good things and highlights more bad things.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Mick063":1e04e0pb said:
Every reaction is an over reaction.

By the fans, not the coaches.

That'll be the next commercial in the current series of Geico ads:

"If you're a Seahawks fan, you overreact to preseason. It's what you do...."

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jimmy needs Bevell's Bubble Screens. :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot: :thfight7:

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Breh":zn389to7 said:
How about we line up Tukuafu as a blocking TE ?

Supposedly, they have been working him in on that in practice. That's the rumor at least. It makes sense as you can get him and Coleman on the roster if you sneak Tukuafu in as a 3rd TE.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Fade":56l7jee9 said:
2 TEs would be my base formation come week 1, w/Luke Willson inline & Jimmy flexed. That way you can easily motion him every play, know the defense the opponent is in, and also create mismatches.

This is pretty much what I would do. Single back formation for the most part with a blocking tightend and either Jimmy Graham flexed or someone like Lockett in the slot.

I think we should take a hard look at what the Patriots offense has done over the past several years. Look at how they use Gronkowski, look how they used Aaron Hernandez, look at how they use Julian Edelman. We now have guys with similar talent and skills and need to figure out how to use them.

The Patriots use their talent well. Their receivers get OPEN! Why? What are they doing? What formations and routes are they using. They're doing something right. I know Tom Brady is terrific, but he's not always required to thread the needle on his passes.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Bobblehead":hymis2uv said:
Is there any reason why we couldn't just put Jimmy out at WR and then have a blocking TE on the line? I can't imagine any of our wideout's any better than Graham and Graham out wide would cause some serious issues for any opponent.

As for Sweezy, why wouldn't we put him at LG and have a solid left side as we once had before int he Jones era?
Just curious here.

I think Britt played the best out of any of the linemen last preseason game. If you go back and watch, Britt allowed very little penetration @ LG. Whereas Sweezy and Gilliam both got burned badly on at least 1 occasion.

I was reading an article by Ross Tucker from year's past which suggest that RG is actually a tougher position to play than LG. (He ranked the line position difficulty as - LT, RT, RG, LG, C). Sweezy is most likely more athletic than Britt so i'd make sense IMO to leave him @ RG. Plus by having him entrenched at RG he can help out Nowak @ C and Gilliam @ RT. Wheras Okung can help out Britt.

I'm excited to see the Line this week. Will, they be able to take another significant step forward? I'm hoping.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
xgeoff":1emsgspk said:
Fade":1emsgspk said:
2 TEs would be my base formation come week 1, w/Luke Willson inline & Jimmy flexed. That way you can easily motion him every play, know the defense the opponent is in, and also create mismatches.

This is pretty much what I would do. Single back formation for the most part with a blocking tightend and either Jimmy Graham flexed or someone like Lockett in the slot.

I think we should take a hard look at what the Patriots offense has done over the past several years. Look at how they use Gronkowski, look how they used Aaron Hernandez, look at how they use Julian Edelman. We now have guys with similar talent and skills and need to figure out how to use them.

The Patriots use their talent well. Their receivers get OPEN! Why? What are they doing? What formations and routes are they using. They're doing something right. I know Tom Brady is terrific, but he's not always required to thread the needle on his passes.

Something keeps ringing in my ear.. put Lockett in the backfield with Lynch.. along with the two TE set.

Latest posts