Holmgren:‘Huge mistake’ if RW doesn’t sign ‘very fair' offer

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Former Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren believes the team’s contract extension offer to quarterback Russell Wilson is “very fair,” and that the three-year veteran would be making a “huge mistake” by not signing before the 2015 season.

Appearing on 950 KJR radio’s “Mitch in the Morning” show on Wednesday, Holmgren told host Mitch Levy that he would counsel Wilson to sign the deal offered by the team if Wilson wants to stay in Seattle.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2015 ... wks-offer/

Full interview: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/onair/mit ... rning-8980
Transcript: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/onair/mit ... -13786495/

Yup, another one of these threads. Deal with it. :th2thumbs:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Interesting but training camp starts soon and we can finally start talking about on the field issue's like Center, Corner back , WR , and Jimmy Graham .

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Holmy is right. Wilson's agent is a buffoon and doing him a HUGE disservice. Any other decent NFL agent and Wilson would be signed already.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2rlzcc7i said:
Holmy is right. Wilson's agent is a buffoon and doing him a HUGE disservice. Any other decent NFL agent and Wilson would be signed already.
I just don't get how anyone can say this with any kind of certainty. None of us, including holmgren have any clue what Wilson's agent is demanding nor what the Hawks are actually offering

AVL

Reaction score
A whole lot of nothing was revealed.

Someone told me he use to say how they always offered Walter Jones reasonable contracts before enslaving him.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3qgu07ek said:

This.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
If Russell Wilson wants to make the most money he can in his career and looks at it as a business and has no allegiances to any teams then he really doesn't have much incentive to sign a deal. You make the most money by getting to free agency. Darrelle Revis was basically a sellsword, and look at how much he's made. Perhaps RW wants to be a QB sellsword?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
AVL":28blqxu3 said:
A whole lot of nothing was revealed.

Someone told me he use to say how they always offered Walter Jones reasonable contracts before enslaving him.
Some hard slavery right there. Sign me up anytime for Walter Jones style slavery.

As far as Wilson goes? I'm over it given nobody knows what's actually going on anyway. But I have no reason to believe the Seahawks are low balling him given they haven't done so with any other core player.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2bz68eji said:
None of us, including holmgren have any clue what Wilson's agent is demanding nor what the Hawks are actually offering

Holmgren didn't sound like he was speculating to me. He spoke as if he knew exactly what Seattle's offer was, which would hardly be surprising since he is still close with John Schneider and the organization. So, you'd have to assume he's lying if you don't believe he knows what the offer is.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
DavidSeven":22003w23 said:
Hawkfan77":22003w23 said:
None of us, including holmgren have any clue what Wilson's agent is demanding nor what the Hawks are actually offering

Holmgren didn't sound like he was speculating to me. He spoke as if he knew exactly what Seattle's offer was, which would hardly be surprising since he is still close with John Schneider and the organization. So, you'd have to assume he's lying if you don't believe he knows what the offer is.
Or he's just speculating like everyone else. Where does he say he knows what the contract is? He doesn't...so no, I would not have to assume Holmgren is lying

Hawks46

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1fylual7 said:
If Russell Wilson wants to make the most money he can in his career and looks at it as a business and has no allegiances to any teams then he really doesn't have much incentive to sign a deal. You make the most money by getting to free agency. Darrelle Revis was basically a sellsword, and look at how much he's made. Perhaps RW wants to be a QB sellsword?

Holmgren is actually right. If Wilson doesn't sign this year, he plays for 1.5 million. So he loses wages/signing bonus that he could be earning NOW. On top of that, he's pushing out his next deal another year. That's another year that he could be making top money. He's also pushing prime years back, which you never want to do.

The Revis comparison isn't apples to apples. Revis has never played for 1.5 million, excepting maybe the first couple years of his rookie deal. Revis has never left money on the table and played for less than he could be getting for a year.

A better anaology would be a rental property. Say you want 1500 a month for a property that is vacant. Someone comes along and offers you 1400 and you refuse. Then the property sits vacant for 3 months until you get your 1500. You haven't lost 100 bucks, you've just lost 4200 that you aren't going to get back. Ever.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":mddl6n21 said:
Or he's just speculating like everyone else. Where does he say he knows what the contract is? He doesn't...so no, I would not have to assume Holmgren is lying

To me, it sounded like he was talking with direct knowledge of the negotiation. He did not crouch his statements in "if"s, "maybe"s, or any other assumptions.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/kjrmitch/status/623893155830599680[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonPuckett20/status/623894356009709568[/tweet]

Rocket

Reaction score
If true, I'd expect these comments to cause Mr. Wilson to dig his heels deeper. God done told him to choose this here agent, and said agent is running from his own severely limited negotiation playbook.
Lordy, lordy, lordy...

Rocket

Reaction score
“I think it’s very fair, very fair,” Holmgren said. “The Seahawks are not low-balling him. In (Wilson and Rodgers’) mind(s), apparently, they think they are. … He’s earned the right to be up there being well paid, there’s no question about that, but usually salaries are based on what other guys get paid, what’s the market, what’s going on. So no, the Seahawks have not low-balled, as far as I understand.”

Mixed equivocation is confusing, Walrus... either ya know or ya don't know. Can't have it both ways.
Also, proper equivocation happens early, not as a trailing "oops".

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
I don't see how we can judge unless we know how much was actually offered and not just speculation.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1aco4h0f said:

If that's the case then fair enough but Wilson needs to cut out the "Go hawks" and "I wanna be here forever" bullshine.

To be honest I'd respect him more if he was truthful to his intentions.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Didn't know Holmgren was doing PR for the Hawks. Of course he's going to come on the side of the team. Comments like this generally come from those in the establishment.....'come on son, just sign the contract. Don't be selfish, just do what we want.'

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, many out there think it's Russ' responsibility to sign for way less, so that other guys can be signed. That's not how it works. People comparing this to the Brady situation is ridiculous as well. He has already went thru a couple massive contracts. This is a guy, who has massively outplayed his contract, trying to get the best contract he can. He's not doing anything different than other players.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I listened to the interview when it was re-played on Softie's show yesterday afternoon.

Holmgren spoke from a position of knowledge... take it or leave it, your choice.

After re-playing the interview between Holmgren and Mitch (Levy), the subject of uncertainty for Softie and his sidekick was how can Holmgren say that "they are millions apart" yet say that Wilson should stop haggling for only $1M/year more (paraphrased).

My take is the $1M/year more is related to the average/year... and the "millions apart" is related to the fully guaranteed amount.

The fact that Holmgren weighed in on the side of the Seahawks will start swaying public opinion in their favor... and this may be only the tip of the proverbial iceberg in that regard.