Holmgren:‘Huge mistake’ if RW doesn’t sign ‘very fair' offer

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m5g4b5a said:
Exactly, many out there think it's Russ' responsibility to sign for way less, so that other guys can be signed. That's not how it works. People comparing this to the Brady situation is ridiculous as well. He has already went thru a couple massive contracts. This is a guy, who has massively outplayed his contract, trying to get the best contract he can. He's not doing anything different than other players.
To my knowledge, nobody that was generally considered the 7-10th best QB has been offered to be paid as the 1st or 2nd and turned it down, holding out for more money. So yes, he is doing something different from all the other players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3j7hjk4e said:
Holmy is right. Wilson's agent is a buffoon and doing him a HUGE disservice. Any other decent NFL agent and Wilson would be signed already.

Well, let's look at it from Wilson's EXTREMELY self confident point of view.

If we're to take him at face value, Russell's said he believes his ascension as one of the greatest QB's in the league is going to continue to rise, along with another couple SB titles.

If he's right, then accepting a lower offer with less guaranteed money isn't prudent. If Russell does continue to improve and win another one or two SB's in the next 2-3 years, then his value is going to skyrocket into the 25-30M per year range (assuming cap keeps escalating).

In 2-3 years Russell can hit free agency as a top 1-2 QB with 2-3 SB titles? What's that worth on the open market as opposed to accepting a fair but lower offer from Seattle?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":y8tzjoix said:
Holmy is right. Wilson's agent is a buffoon and doing him a HUGE disservice. Any other decent NFL agent and Wilson would be signed already.

Wilson's agent has made it clear for several years now that his ultimate goal is to get his client to free agency where he believes the true market value will be set in a bidding war amongst several suitors.

So yeah, as a Seahawks fan.. his agent comes across as a jackass.. but this is what he does. I disagree with your statement that Wilson would be signed already with a different agent, because clearly.. Wilson is a bit on board with this idea of ultimately hitting free agency.. otherwise Mark Rodgers would not be his agent.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Perhaps Russell Wilson doesn't want to play in Seattle. he comes across as fake in this process.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":eo222g3d said:
Perhaps Russell Wilson doesn't want to play in Seattle. he comes across as fake in this process.

He wants to stay in Seattle, why wouldn't he? Great team, great city, great GM and coach..............but not at a lower salary than he thinks he's worth.

I know it's hard for fans to accept that this is a business and we love it when players take a hometown discount. But the reality is Russell has leverage right now, so he's going to use it to maximize his contract. We shouldn't get all butthurt over the process.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I keep reading that Russell is making a big mistake if he plays this year for 1.5 mil. I am 99% certain that regardless of him signing a new contract he will be paid 1.5 mil for this year. Unless someone knows the Seahawks are going to tear up the last year of his deal, which everything I've read says the Hawks will not do.

RUSSELL WILL BE PAID 1.5 MIL THIS YEAR.

That's all I wanted to add to this silly discussion.

SC

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Just finish Bobby's contract so I can go buy my Wagner jersey with a little more confidence that it won't be irrelevant after a year.

AVL

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hqo6avs said:
We get it Tical, you don't like Russell Wilson :lol:

He likes him ok on the discount, for a short quarterback.

formido

Reaction score
The year before Wilson Seattle's offensive DVOA was ranked #22. Since, it's been #4, #7, and #5. Fair will be paying Wilson the same as the other QBs who have as big an effect on wins and losses[1]. That list is a precious short one. If, when Wilson signs, you can say to yourself, "Andrew Luck is definitely going to get more than this" then Wilson's contract wasn't fair.

[1] And it will still be a bargain.

formido

Reaction score
Tical21":3gasrhwp said:
SoulfishHawk":3gasrhwp said:
Exactly, many out there think it's Russ' responsibility to sign for way less, so that other guys can be signed. That's not how it works. People comparing this to the Brady situation is ridiculous as well. He has already went thru a couple massive contracts. This is a guy, who has massively outplayed his contract, trying to get the best contract he can. He's not doing anything different than other players.
To my knowledge, nobody that was generally considered the 7-10th best QB has been offered to be paid as the 1st or 2nd and turned it down, holding out for more money. So yes, he is doing something different from all the other players.

The fact you think Wilson is only the 7th to 10th best QB in the NFL is exactly why he has to hold out for what he's worth. It's one thing to be generally regarded as, say, a top 3 QB and take an obvious pay cut to help your team. It's another when you dramatically and unarguably reverse a team's offensive fortunes and people STILL see your height more than your accomplishments. It's about respect.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
formido":3t0w6rwt said:
It's another when you dramatically and unarguably reverse a team's offensive fortunes and people STILL see your height more than your accomplishments. It's about respect.

If he's being offered 22M a year... I'd say thats a lot of respect being shown his way.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I still doubt someone will pay him to be the highest paid player today if he was a free agent. I don't think He has the amount of respect as he does from the seahawks n seattleites elsewhere.

Plus, I am of the one who thinks any average qb could come into this team and we still would be a division champ. This is Lynchs n the Def's team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
northseahawk":1umvmy23 said:
I still doubt someone will pay him to be the highest paid player today if he was a free agent. I don't think He has the amount of respect as he does from the seahawks n seattleites elsewhere..

Is this really a gamble you're willing to take with Russell?

The Dolphins just paid Suh 114 million..............for a nose tackle. What do you think a desperate long time loser franchise like the Raiders, Jags or Browns with a ton of cap space would pay to get a QB like Wilson?

Some of you guys are WILDLY underestimating what Wilson does for this team. We've waited 40 years for a legitimate franchise QB, I'd rather not wait another 40.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
formido":33hx3jza said:
Tical21":33hx3jza said:
SoulfishHawk":33hx3jza said:

The fact you think Wilson is only the 7th to 10th best QB in the NFL is exactly why he has to hold out for what he's worth. It's one thing to be generally regarded as, say, a top 3 QB and take an obvious pay cut to help your team. It's another when you dramatically and unarguably reverse a team's offensive fortunes and people STILL see your height more than your accomplishments. It's about respect.

So to gain the respect of everybody else, you hold the team who believed in you and actually gave you a chance hostage. How much likely do you think it is that he would be in this negotiating position had he been drafted by any of the the other teams? How many teams actually would have given him the starts and stuck with him through early struggles over the big free agent signing they just made (or incumbent safe bet)?

jdblack

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2p7tan3p said:
As far as Wilson goes? I'm over it given nobody knows what's actually going on anyway. But I have no reason to believe the Seahawks are low balling him given they haven't done so with any other core player.

Bit of self-fulfilling logic there; Players who are low-balled leave, and then they aren't considered core players. Clemons and Tate used to be core players.

seahawks08

Reaction score
interesting discussion and positions. I am curios why Russel Wilson wants to put aside so much money for a year for a longer contract. If he gets paid 1.5 million versus 22 million, sign in bonus and stuff like that but a 4 year deal if that is true, why is it not good? For instance given the unknowns of a players career and tenure, injuries can be a huge variance for taking money now versus betting on the future. I mean insurance money is there, but there is a cost for all taking insurance. I am still wondering if a basball kind contract will ever happen in NFL. You can have guarantees, but players can get cut in a span of 2 years or traded to another team. So given RW's ascend, he can be one of the greatest, but if he goes to free agency and goes with the highest bidder but the team has a really bad front office or doesn't have a defense build, the winning percentage can easily go down. Owners won't agree to fully guaranteed contracts, and the player unions won't want RW to take anything less, as it would set a precedent for the per position price.

Can he be as great as Aaron Rodgers, definitely, can he be paid higher than Aaron Rodgers, sure, some teams would be willing, will it be the right fit for him, I don't know, can he change a team and make it a great fit for him to keep on winning, to an extent yes, but he can't build or control the defense, the maximum say he will have as a QB will be around offense.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
StoneCold":3gen8i8n said:
I keep reading that Russell is making a big mistake if he plays this year for 1.5 mil. I am 99% certain that regardless of him signing a new contract he will be paid 1.5 mil for this year. Unless someone knows the Seahawks are going to tear up the last year of his deal, which everything I've read says the Hawks will not do.

SC

but the problem is your not factoring in any signing bonus. Any deal made will include a massive signing bonus. So yeah, his base salary will be 1.5 but he'd most likely make 15-20 million this year with the signing bonus. The benefit to that is that 20M signing bonus can be spread out through the life of the contract.

So assuming he get's a large signing bonus (it would seem more than Likely) He'd be turning down the difference between the 1.5 and the signing bonus total. Let's assume it's 15M this year.

Now what most aren't factoring in is the opportunity costs. If he plays our his contract for 1.5 he loses out on that "assumed 15M" He won't make that up anytime soon, furthermore he will have lost the opportunity to take that money and invest it, thus gaining a return on that investment over the coarse of the year, which is no small sum. Say it's 15 M and he invest in mutual funds the return on that can be anywhere from 3%-10% (depending on the market).

He loses the opportunity to grow that money. I think if a deal doesn't get done in the next week, it be put off till next year and that would be undesirable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1yrqynmd said:
Maybe he should just come out and say that all this 12th man fan stuff sucks, is that your take?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
StoneCold":tke8fspv said:

SC

You're forgetting the ~$30 million he could receive this year in signing bonus and the ~$60 million in guaranteed money in case he gets hurt.

Latest posts