Seahawks camp countdown: Who will take over at nickelback?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Will Blackmon spent OTAs and minicamp as the No. 1 nickelback, with Richard Sherman and Cary Williams as the starting outside corners.

It’s a trio that, at the moment, looks more than likely to take the field in the nickel defense when the Seahawks open the season Sept. 13 at St. Louis.

The Seahawks signed Blackmon with the knowledge that Jeremy Lane, the team’s nickelback last year when healthy, is unlikely to be available for the start of the season. Lane suffered a broken wrist and a torn knee ligament in the Super Bowl and since has suffered complications with the arm injury, making it unclear when he will return. Expect him to start the year on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list . . . .

Marcus Burley figures to get a long look in training camp as well.

Others also will be used there, though recall that the team said it envisions fifth-round draft pick Tye Smith playing mostly on the outside.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ickelback/

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would love to see Burley shock us all and excel in the role, but most likely it will be Blackmon until Lane is ready (if that even happens this year).

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3k5mift3 said:
I would love to see Burley shock us all and excel in the role, but most likely it will be Blackmon until Lane is ready (if that even happens this year).

Agreed!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Blackmon seems like the logical choice.. was honestly surprised we didn't bring WT3 back for that role.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":4lbdv1al said:

I'm not sure how it would be a shock if Burley excelled in the Nickle role. He came in last year and didn't get a lot of time in our system before getting thrown right into the fire due to injuries. He hasn't had a lot of on field experience, so there's no reason to believe he won't progress and get better. I thought he looked like he belonged out there, although he certainly didn't dominate.

Now if you had said Burley could shock us all and take over Blackmon's spot, then yea, I'd agree with that. Maybe I'm parsing words but I honestly think Burley is going to look better than last year, and that's going to be pretty good compared to a lot of other teams.

Latest posts