5 Keys to Success for the Seahawks in 2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
1. The Passing Attack Must Improve

In 2014, the Seahawks managed only 20 passing touchdowns, good for the seventh worst total in the league. Their 203 passing yards per game were the sixth fewest in the NFL. Russell Wilson, widely considered one of the top quarterbacks in the league, was actually 15th in passing yards and 16th in passing touchdowns.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/18/seatt ... ss-2015/2/

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The addition of Graham will no doubt help Russ get the ball out quicker and get these numbers up but he going to take some big hits behind our offensive line even acter completions.

Rocket

Reaction score
hawknation2015":6sv5ib72 said:
1. The Passing Attack Must Improve

In 2014, the Seahawks managed only 20 passing touchdowns, good for the seventh worst total in the league. Their 203 passing yards per game were the sixth fewest in the NFL. Russell Wilson, widely considered one of the top quarterbacks in the league, was actually 15th in passing yards and 16th in passing touchdowns.

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/18/seatt ... ss-2015/2/

The analysis doesn't show the quality of the passing attack it claims needs improvement... it doesn't factor in attempts.
We run the ball. First. Last. In the middle. Even Russ runs the ball a lot.

You want, or we want, to improve passing yards per attempt and red zone efficiency.
Who gives a poop how we get the score. We run the ball... a whole lot.
Duh

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love how it's such a weakness that we are towards the bottom of the ranks in passing yet we have been in back-to-back Super Bowls. Who cares? Our offense is predicated on run first, run first, run first and like Rocket said, we have TWO running backs who scare defenses (one just happens to be our QB). So if we are effective on offense (news flash: We are) why does the media feel so compelled to bring it back to anemic passing stats?

Again, who cares? Outside of fantasy numbers, I don't see why any Seahawks fan would care if #3 has 50 TDs and 4500 yards passing or 10 TDs and 1800 yards passing...As long as we are in the Big Show in February...It's all we could ever ask for...

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I would like to see the passing game get back to its level of efficiency and production from 2013, particularly in the red zone. Jimmy Graham should help a little with that.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It will, like i stated in a stat before, that when Tom Brady got Gronk he started putting up 30TD consistently each year, and the year he lost him to inury he only put up 25 TD. Before Gronk he put up 50TD in one year, but all the other years his next highest was 28 TD. If we are going to go by TD then you need playmakers that can produce those TDs. Wilson lost Tate who shared a great chemistry with him when it came to the passing game, and Tate was pretty good at the redzone.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The passing game is one of the most efficient in the league and we are near the top of the league in explosive plays. The numbers being looked at in the article will go up this year for what its worth.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
austinslater25":1vk3w8rs said:
The passing game is one of the most efficient in the league and we are near the top of the league in explosive plays. The numbers being looked at in the article will go up this year for what its worth.

Wilson was 20th in completion percentage last season (63.1%).

Seahawks were tied with three teams for 11th in passing plays of 20+ yards (54).

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Obviously, the key stat is wins. Any article like this is just trying to address where any team could possibly look to improve for success. What else are they going to say? The Seahawks are pretty dominant in other areas that matter.

Honestly (and I'm not complaining they made a 2nd straight appearance in the Super Bowl), I would prefer to see the ability to be a more balanced offense. Yes, the team had a ton of injuries last year, but it's relying too much on the Defense. That leads to counting on winning too many close games. It might be better for my ticker if they actually put teams away that shouldn't take us down to the wire. Yes, the Seahawks have the run identity. However, not going to have Marshawn forever.

Thus, I'm excited about the additions of Graham and Tyler Lockett. The Defense is feared, Lynch is feared, Wilson provides a headache and challenge for teams. But, opposing teams found ways in 2014 to deal better with the scrambling Wilson than they did in 2013.

The team doesn't need to change it's identity. The added pieces to the passing game can just make the offense better balanced and will hopefully give the added dimensions that we anticipate and keep defenses honest.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":29y6xtt9 said:
But, opposing teams found ways in 2014 to deal better with the scrambling Wilson than they did in 2013.

Did they? Wilson scrambled for a career high of 849 yards last year. I don't believe teams figured out so much how to deal with it as much as I think we were really missing Rice,Miller and Tate. Teams pretty much just played man coverage and were able to slow our passing attack and dedicate more to run support.

With Graham they won't be able to do that and Baldwin won't be facing opponents best corners either. If one more receiver steps up we could be very dangerous.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":14yaplkv said:
With Graham they won't be able to do that and Baldwin won't be facing opponents best corners either. If one more receiver steps up we could be very dangerous.

Paul Richardson and/or Tyler Lockett? Either would help. I can't wait for a 4-receiver set with Graham out wide with Richardson, Lockett and Baldwin or even two TEs with Willson. Sounds like fun, with Lynch out of the backfield, too.

Barring injury, this could be a very fun offense to watch if Russ has time to throw.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
5 keys to success should be Right Tackle, Right Guard, Center, Left Guard, Left Tackle. I feel good about the right side but Center to left is a crap shoot.

How will the office be able to afford to bring in these undrafted free agent career practice squad converted DL to become starters on our offensive line after we pay Russell Wilson?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":vmhx0n06 said:
I love how it's such a weakness that we are towards the bottom of the ranks in passing yet we have been in back-to-back Super Bowls. Who cares? Our offense is predicated on run first, run first, run first and like Rocket said, we have TWO running backs who scare defenses (one just happens to be our QB). So if we are effective on offense (news flash: We are) why does the media feel so compelled to bring it back to anemic passing stats?

Again, who cares? Outside of fantasy numbers, I don't see why any Seahawks fan would care if #3 has 50 TDs and 4500 yards passing or 10 TDs and 1800 yards passing...As long as we are in the Big Show in February...It's all we could ever ask for...

I agree. Getting the the Super bowl (and winning of course) is the absolutely most important thing, but I still always like to see the team improve. I would love to have us go a season as the number one offense and number one defense on our way to the Lombardi trophy. It may be a pipe dream, but we aren't really that far off, and an improved passing game could see us accomplish this feat very soon.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":1vadq0ff said:
I agree. Getting the the Super bowl (and winning of course) is the absolutely most important thing, but I still always like to see the team improve. I would love to have us go a season as the number one offense and number one defense on our way to the Lombardi trophy. It may be a pipe dream, but we aren't really that far off, and an improved passing game could see us accomplish this feat very soon.

:13: :179417:

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If we hit the playoffs with some semblance of health I will consider that a success.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Aros":1m2dohv7 said:

I care and here is why, future Superb Owls. We would be fine offensively this year behind our two pronged running attack (Wilson/Lynch) even without marked improvement in our passing game. However, Lynch will be gone soon and Wilson will hit the wall that all running QBs eventually hit and his running production will decline. If we are gong to have a long and successful run wih Wilson while paying him top dollar,, we are going to have to provide him with the receiving threats and he is going to have to utilize them in an elite manner. He believes (as do I) that he is an elite level passer and deserves to be paid as such, but he needs to show that he can carry the team on his arm before he gets the big bucks. These passing numbers are the reason that Wilson isn't getting a new contract this year.

-bsd

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would say our key to success is going to be controlling the game. Same as it's been ever since we committed to running the ball midway through 2011. And the one aspect toward that aim that we aren't absolutely excellent at, is converting 3rd downs.

Seattle is explosive. We can say we're tied for 11th in 20+ yard passes. But I'd guess we're tops by miles in terms of 20 yd completions per attempt. Tied in the top third while passing for the least amount of yards total. That's not a dysfunctional passing game.

We know the efficiency. And we all know it wasn't our lack of passing attack that cost us back to back.

To me, it's all about 3rd down conversions. We can do nothing to improve anything offensively, and know that if we're given a third down conversion, our scoring rate on that particular drive doubles. If we convert 2 more third downs per game, that will on average result in 8 more plays, 40 yards in offense and a shade over 6 more points each game we do that.

Seattle was awesome at converting third and short. Converting third and medium/long we were below average. Graham should help with that. So should Lockett.

In fact, I'd put out there that Graham's biggest contribution won't be red zone catches at all. It'll be the combined easing/lessening of third down struggles in between the 20s. His effect even in the early downs should improve our offense both rushing and passing. Leading to fewer 3rd and long situations. And his ability to convert 3rd and medium (4-6 yards) should improve our substandard competency in that range.

This team has been about controlling the game. Defensively. Running the ball. That's how we win. Converting 3rd down better aligns with that philosophy and plays to our strengths. While TOP is not considered by us to be a major indicator of success, controlling possession, even if it means fewer plays for us AND our opponent is.

We aren't a shoot out kind of team. If we're in a shoot out scenario, then we're not doing what we are supposed to do. We committed over 60% of our team salary structure on the defensive side. They have zero to do with our ability to play shoot out contests. Other than to prevent them or limit them.

We control games that are most often close. Talent, draft stock and cap spend resides heavily on the defensive side.

Our keys to success are the same they've ever been. Control the game and suffocate the opponent's ability to score. We could easily go to and win a second title without having thrown for 300 yards in any game in 2016. I'd venture to guess that our win percentage against teams that do throw 300 on us is still way above .500.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Aros":nr3fkk7e said:

I'd prefer 1800 and 10, Russ would want 200M if he threw for 4500 and 50 :lol:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RichNhansom":68gaiqqk said:
TeamoftheCentury":68gaiqqk said:
But, opposing teams found ways in 2014 to deal better with the scrambling Wilson than they did in 2013.

Did they? Wilson scrambled for a career high of 849 yards last year. I don't believe teams figured out so much how to deal with it as much as I think we were really missing Rice,Miller and Tate. Teams pretty much just played man coverage and were able to slow our passing attack and dedicate more to run support.

The persuasive power of numbers: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I'll still go with "Yes" - they did. And, if the Seahawks hadn't addressed the offense, it would get worse.

Yeah, I seem to remember the career high. Doesn't change my viewpoint. Wilson will always be a scrambler and get his yards and other teams know that's part of his game. Opposing teams had a year of film to work on containing him in "situational football" better than they did before.

Without the pieces we have now in Graham and Lockett (or, like you say... missing the others), he was left to scramble way more than they want him to be doing... which would be inflated numbers. (Didn't he get like over 100 yards vs. the Rams or some team like that? Sorry, I'm not going to look it up.)

Bottom line... I'm going by the eye ball test - teams put a spy on him. Not likely what the play designs called for. But, again, Wilson is Wilson. It's both cool and concerning that he had career high.

Latest posts