Rapoport: Wilson's agent likely to end contract talks soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
But will the window of opportunity for an extension close for good when camp begins?

According to people who have worked with agent Mark Rodgers, his history with high-profile, big-money deals shows that to be the case. If Rodgers continues to do business the same way he always has while representing baseball players, each day closer to free agency means decreased likelihood of a deal before Wilson is free (after two franchise tags in 2016 and 2017).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rt-of-camp

kidhawk

Reaction score
Gotta love all the speculation out there. I read that article earlier and every single word talks about how he's handled baseball negotiations and not one single bit is from anything said by Wilson, his agent or the Seahawks. I seriously can't wait for this whole thing to be over with. The speculation is out of this world

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
So the article is speculating that if they don't get a deal done before this seasons starts, Wilson and his agent will basically tell the Seahawks "No contract for you, ever. You had your chance." and Wilson is guaranteed to be a free agent in 2018? Mmmkay...that seems totally likely. :roll:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Thanks for passing this on but it's hard to give any validity to an article who lists sources as "people who have worked with agent Mark Rodgers" and contains the caveat that "If Rodgers continues to do business the same way he always has while representing baseball players"

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The article said contract talks would end once the off-season is over, and that, next year, Seattle will put the franchise tag on Wilson and he will either play on it or use it as a starting point for a mega-deal.

I don't know if Rapoport has good sources, but this all seems very logical to me. If Russell makes it to training camp without a new deal, then the odds of him negotiating an extension this season go down exponentially. What would change his mind during the season? His leverage only improves the longer he waits. If his goal is to truly milk everything he can out of this negotiation, then he'll just keep waiting until Seattle gives in.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It's not that Wilson wants to hit free agency, according to a source who has spoken with him. It's that he wants to be paid as if he did. Meanwhile, thoughts of a fully guaranteed contract have not left his mind, especially with an agent who regularly negotiates such deals with baseball players.

As for the negotiations, the two sides are not close. But talks will ramp up as camp gets closer. The Seahawks report to training camp on July 30 and have their first practice on the 31st.

Seriously? Fully-guaranteed contract?

I hope Rapoport is just blowing smoke here.

hannibalking

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if that's what he wanted. Some of the stories I've heard make Wilson sound like an ass, like holding out for more money after an autograph session (and being the only Seahawks player the guy got for autograph sessions to do so.)

kearly

Reaction score
I seriously doubt Wilson or his agent care about getting a fully guaranteed deal. Elite QBs always get their money.

I have no idea what is going on, but my best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect. Wilson's agent is going to win, it's inevitable. The sooner the Hawks FO realizes this, the less painful it will be for their bottom line. Giving Rodgers what he wants today is going to cost less than giving him what he wants a year from now.

Unfortunately, I think JS has dug his heels in here and will end up learning a tough lesson.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY, I say screw 'em and let him play for peanuts again this year, put the tag on him net year then let him go for two 1st round picks, he isn't worth the money they are asking

hoppe he gets past this season without serious injury LOL

M.M.

Sick of it

nanomoz

Reaction score
They make this sound urgent, final.

It's not. Fear not.

Wilson is basically in year one of a 4-year, 70ish million contract due to the franchise tag.

kidhawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":22mwinm3 said:

It's not. Fear not.

Wilson is basically in year one of a 4-year, 70ish million contract due to the franchise tag.

I am not as sure about that 3rd year of the franchise tag. Although the totals look good, when you can't spread it around, that 3rd year franchise tag (which would be around $35 million) is a tough number to swallow in one go. I think the numbers are workable for this season + 2 franchise tags. IMO that is more than enough time to work out a deal. I just hope they realize that waiting only increases his payday. Locking him up now gives us more flexibility and a lower number. As time passes and more deals are signed and the cap keeps going up, his contract will continue to rise with it.

I'm still of the belief that they get a deal done before he ever has to be franchised, but it's still a game of cat and mouse right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
nanomoz":1ogwkbgq said:

It's not. Fear not.

That really depends on what the franchise numbers really are, which has been the subject of considerable debate. Rapoport speculates that it will be north of $30M by 2017. Taking a one time cap hit of that size would likely force Seattle to cut several significant players.

By way of comparison, Aaron Rodgers has a $22M/APY but his cap hit will be just $20M in 2017. That is the benefit of being able to spread the signing bonus to a non-extension year. If this deal doesn't get done in the next couple weeks, Seattle will lose that opportunity and will have to live with some monster cap hits to retain its QB.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":1199u6ev said:
SERIOUSLY, I say screw 'em and let him play for peanuts again this year, put the tag on him net year then let him go for two 1st round picks, he isn't worth the money they are asking

M.M.

Sick of it

Please enlighten us on how much money they are truly asking for since no one has actually provided the numbers to this point. I would LOVE a link but sadly I doubt you have one.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1c96r8uy said:
nanomoz":1c96r8uy said:

It's not. Fear not.

I am not as sure about that 3rd year of the franchise tag. Although the totals look good, when you can't spread it around, that 3rd year franchise tag (which would be around $35 million) is a tough number to swallow in one go. I think the numbers are workable for this season + 2 franchise tags. IMO that is more than enough time to work out a deal. I just hope they realize that waiting only increases his payday. Locking him up now gives us more flexibility and a lower number. As time passes and more deals are signed and the cap keeps going up, his contract will continue to rise with it.

I'm still of the belief that they get a deal done before he ever has to be franchised, but it's still a game of cat and mouse right now.

I thought players can only be franchised twice...in a row, at least.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1bl3fwn4 said:
nanomoz":1bl3fwn4 said:

It's not. Fear not.

That really depends on what the franchise numbers really are, which has been the subject of considerable debate. Rapoport speculates that it will be north of $30M by 2017. Taking a one time cap hit of that size would likely force Seattle to cut several significant players.

By way of comparison, Aaron Rodgers has a $22M/APY but his cap hit will be just $20M in 2017. That is the benefit of being able to spread the signing bonus to a non-extension year. If this deal doesn't get done in the next couple weeks, Seattle will lose that opportunity and will have to live with some monster cap hits to retain its QB.

We wouldn't need any monster hits until year 3. If it increases at a similar pace as it did last year, the cap hit for next year will be around $21 million dollars, that means the following year his hit with the raise mandated at 20% would be $25.2 million. Both of which are manageable, especially if we push cap money ahead that we don't use on him now. It's that 3rd cap year which would be the 2018 season that would be in the $30+ range (I'd guess around $36 using the previous figures here). This of course, all assumes that we don't get a deal done. I still believe both sides want to get a deal done, so even if it goes past this season (which I still doubt) they have the entire next off season to work out a deal before they would be locked into his first cap year. With both sides wanting a deal, I don't see this getting to this time next year and we definitely can afford to hold on to him for 3 more years (including this one) so as a fan we really have nothing to worry about for quite awhile.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":2v1fjpbv said:
I seriously doubt Wilson or his agent care about getting a fully guaranteed deal. Elite QBs always get their money.

I have no idea what is going on, but my best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect. Wilson's agent is going to win, it's inevitable. The sooner the Hawks FO realizes this, the less painful it will be for their bottom line. Giving Rodgers what he wants today is going to cost less than giving him what he wants a year from now.

Unfortunately, I think JS has dug his heels in here and will end up learning a tough lesson.
I'd assume they are slightly north of Newton, right? Not much, just a little bit. If so, I think we have quite a difference of opinion as far as what would qualify as "lowballing." Wilson doesn't deserve Aaron Rodgers money. Not even close. But he's going to get it, which it is utterly ridiculous.

What do you think Wilson's agent is asking for? Does Schneider have any choice besides digging in his heels? He has no choice but to call Russell's bluff. Russell isn't stupid. He's not leaving, he's not going anywhere. He doesn't want to sign with Cleveland. If Russell has leverage because he is a franchise QB for a franchise that is desperate for one, and that provides more leverage than having the best coaching staff, front office, and roster in the NFL, the model is officially broken. In your theory, what would stop Russell from holding out for 40 APY? We would have no choice but to pay it, right? 50?

You say Wilson's agent is going to win. To what extent do you see him "winning?" 28 APY? Scary stuff.

If you are the Seahawks, you come out and tell his agent right now that you're going to pay him 1.5 this year, you're going to franchise him for the next two years, and we'll talk to you three years from now. No guaranteed years, no long-term contract. How is that not leverage that can trump anything on Russell's side?

kidhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":o501rhy2 said:
kidhawk":o501rhy2 said:
nanomoz":o501rhy2 said:

It's not. Fear not.

I thought players can only be franchised twice...in a row, at least.

Franchise players can be tagged more but their raise is significant. The first year they get the franchise number. Year 2 they get a minimum of a 20% raise. Year 3 they get a minimum of a 44% raise. For quarterbacks that gets ugly quick.

Assume Wilson gets franchised next year and they set it at $21 million this is how it plays out

2015 - $1.5 million last year of rookie deal

2016 - $21 million franchise designation 1st year

2017 - $25.2 million franchise designation 2nd year 20% raise

2018 - $36.288 million franchise designation 3rd year 44% raise.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":30mbde4h said:
Marlin Man":30mbde4h said:

M.M.

Sick of it

Please enlighten us on how much money they are truly asking for since no one has actually provided the numbers to this point. I would LOVE a link but sadly I doubt you have one.

He doesn't . . . anymore than Kearly has any facts to indicate that his "best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect."

I hope we can all be in agreement that getting a deal done ASAP will help the team by eliminating any distraction and giving the team more certainty with respect to how much money they will have to allocate to other players like Wagner. And I hope we can also agree that the more money Wilson demands, the less opportunity we will have to put together a championship-contending team in the future. There needs to be a balance that I sincerely hope Wilson respects.

He can be the highest-paid player in the game, receive a massive signing bonus to make him one of the world's highest paid athletes this year, and still give the team enough cap flexibility to continue competing for Super Bowls.

Rocket

Reaction score
kearly":7fsnqyhg said:

My expert learned opinion is that Schneider has a "do not exceed" number on his "Microsoft Surface Tablet™" based on all the people he needs to sign and said "agent", who also has an Ego the size of Alaska, has a bigger number on his "I need new shoes" list.
Sigh...
But I'm not sure about the lesson part.
Remember, tho, Walter sat out a game and was revered, and Wilson has not missed a damn thing other than while attending a funeral in which he was representing the whole organization.

So lighten up all you Francises... lighten up. And don't count your agonys until they're hatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.