Kevin Williams Signs with Saints

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If it's for less than $3 million, I would be disappointed. He's a much better player than Rubin, even at his age, with the perfect versatility to be a three technique pass rusher or a run stuffing nose tackle. He filled in well for us when Mebane went down, though I'm really happy to have Mebane back in action.

byau

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":1zvnzi9y said:
Best of luck to him, though his chances of winning a Super Bowl will likely not be as great this year.

Agreed, seemed last year winning an SB was a motivating factor. This year the Seahawks and Packers are still my best bet in the NFC. So guessing the difference in $$ will be somewhat substantial or just priorities changing

Best of luck to him, he really helped the Seahawks get back to the SB as we got deeper into the season.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't like it, but I get why. Unless both Rubin and Mebane get hurt at the same time, we can probably survive just fine without WIlliams. Seattle was probably concerned about Williams falling off an age cliff suddenly. I have a hunch that Williams would have signed here for less than $3 million. He has enough money in the bank that I doubt this was over money. I don't think Seattle was interested.

Williams deserves a ring. Sucks for him that he came 1 play away from one. And that's probably going to be his one and only shot.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He and his wife of ten years are from Arkansas, and his wife was a star basketball player at Louisiana Tech. They have a couple kids. Maybe they want to be closer to family.

It's a nice one-year pickup for the Saints, who could really use his help in the interior. He will probably start for them.

Seafan

Reaction score
He wasn't going to make the team and it's not for certain he will make the Saints.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3fn5ew7j said:
If it's for less than $3 million, I would be disappointed. He's a much better player than Rubin, even at his age, with the perfect versatility to be a three technique pass rusher or a run stuffing nose tackle. He filled in well for us when Mebane went down, though I'm really happy to have Mebane back in action.

Totally agree.

Sucks because I wanted him back. I get that he's old, but he played just fine last year and with Quinn gone, he would help a lot of the younger talent and depth develop.

I get what you're saying about the "age cliff" Kearly, but the weird thing is that Williams has been extremely durable his entire career, and we brought back Mebane, who has been hurt a lot more recently.

Largent80

Reaction score
So. Too bad he couldn't have made an impact in the super bowl or he would be a Hawk. They obviously felt Rubin will be the guy. Thanks Kevin

Seafan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3jpvdwy5 said:
Seafan":3jpvdwy5 said:
He wasn't going to make the team and it's not for certain he will make the Saints.

Why do you think he wouldn't make the team? He played well in all 19 games last season.

Same reason he wasn't re-signed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":3qk6c5ut said:
So. Too bad he couldn't have made an impact in the super bowl or he would be a Hawk.

The truth is we might not have made it to the Super Bowl without him taking on double teams and shutting down the run. After Mebane went down, and then Hill, we were sort of out of options and Williams stepped up big time.

It's sort of hard to rush the passer when you are being asked to play the run on first and second downs. The Patriots ran for a total of 57 yards on 21 attempts (2.7 yards per carry). Blount had basically no impact -- 40 yards on 14 carries (2.8 yards per carry).

If the secondary was not so beaten up, or if Avril and Lane hadn't left the game, we would be championing Williams' fine work in shutting down the run rather than deriding his play in the Super Bowl.

Seafan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2sibh4yp said:
Largent80":2sibh4yp said:
So. Too bad he couldn't have made an impact in the super bowl or he would be a Hawk.

The truth is we might not have made it to the Super Bowl without him taking on double teams and shutting down the run. After Mebane went down, and then Hill, we were sort of out of options and Williams stepped up big time.

It's sort of hard to rush the passer when you are being asked to play the run on first and second downs. The Patriots ran for a total of 57 yards on 21 attempts (2.7 yards per carry). Blount had basically no impact -- 40 yards on 14 carries (2.8 yards per carry).

If the secondary was not so beaten up, or if Avril and Lane hadn't left the game, we would be championing Williams' fine work in shutting down the run rather than deriding his play in the Super Bowl.

I don't think the problem is the way he played in SB. The problem is where is he compared to the rest of the DL roster. Mebane, Rubin and even Hill are ahead of him at the nose. There are many bodies ahead of him at 3 and 5. He has no spot on the roster unless a lot of people get hurt. He stayed healthy last year which was amazing considering how everyone else went down. But was his play outstanding?

The same reason the Hawks didn't draft a DT is the reason they didn't resign KW. The team is happy with their current depth.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seafan":3u7tcefp said:
hawknation2015":3u7tcefp said:
Largent80":3u7tcefp said:

I don't think the problem is the way he played in SB. The problem is where is he compared to the rest of the DL roster. Mebane, Rubin and even Hill are ahead of him at the nose. There are many bodies ahead of him at 3 and 5. He has no spot on the roster unless a lot of people get hurt. He stayed healthy last year which was amazing considering how everyone else went down. But was his play outstanding?

The same reason the Hawks didn't draft a DT is the reason they didn't resign KW. The team is happy with their current depth.

Yes, the signing of Rubin pretty much spelled the end of Williams' time as a Seahawk. But in terms of quickness and ability to play the run, Williams is a far superior player to Rubin, IMO. Hill has also been pretty deficient at playing the run, and mostly relegated to 3rd down situations. He was playing behind Williams for much of last year. They must like Rubin's upside as a pass rusher better than Williams' at his advanced age.

Seafan

Reaction score
Rubin does the 1 tech run stuffing better than KW. Hill does the 3rd down pass rushing better than KW. Rubin was insurance against Mebane not a replacement for KW. KW did a decent job filling in last season. Wish he could have gotten the ring. I'd rather have had Mebane or Hill in the SB. It's a numbers game and the Hawks have a lot of bodies for camp. If anything you have to ask do the Hawks like McDaniel over Williams. The answer is obviously yes.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seafan":2krjng6s said:
Rubin does the 1 tech run stuffing better than KW. Hill does the 3rd down pass rushing better than KW. Rubin was insurance against Mebane not a replacement for KW. KW did a decent job filling in last season. Wish he could have gotten the ring. I'd rather have had Mebane or Hill in the SB. It's a numbers game and the Hawks have a lot of bodies for camp. If anything you have to ask do the Hawks like McDaniel over Williams. The answer is obviously yes.

Except, Rubin was godawful last year playing NT and some people are saying he would be better off playing the three technique.

Williams was an average run stopper at the one technique, which is exactly what we needed last year.

From Rubin, they get a younger, albeit slower, and probably cheaper, veteran DT.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":1c8wnrlv said:
I don't like it, but I get why. Unless both Rubin and Mebane get hurt at the same time, we can probably survive just fine without WIlliams. Seattle was probably concerned about Williams falling off an age cliff suddenly. I have a hunch that Williams would have signed here for less than $3 million. He has enough money in the bank that I doubt this was over money. I don't think Seattle was interested.

Williams deserves a ring. Sucks for him that he came 1 play away from one. And that's probably going to be his one and only shot.

Yeah I felt really bad for him that he came that close and it was probably his only shot. Would have loved him as a depth signing, but oh well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Really disappointed to hear that we could not keep him.

Without him last year we don't sniff the SuperBowl. His ability to come in to make up for those injuries was so key.

And just as a football fan, who respected his tremendous play for years - I wanted to see him with a ring.

Disappointing to hear we lost him or didn't keep him.