B.J. Daniels at OTA's

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/604364005931499520[/tweet]

Interesting observation from this tweet and video that came with it.. you can see him working with the WR's and not in the red QB jersey that Wilson and Archer are in.. looks like they are still giving him a look at WR.

Is BJ going to turn into our new Seneca Wallace?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":nyle1gpb said:

Interesting observation from this tweet and video that came with it.. you can see him working with the WR's and not in the red QB jersey that Wilson and Archer are in.. looks like they are still giving him a look at WR.

Hmm interesting. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Wallace only go out and catch one pass his whole time here. Interesting.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":1vmsab7k said:
Hasselbeck":1vmsab7k said:

Hmm interesting. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Wallace only go out and catch one pass his whole time here. Interesting.

He had 4 grabs in the regular season and 1 in the NFC Championship against Carolina where he beat Ken Lucas like a drum on a sluggo route.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The most bizarre part of that, is that watching him in some of those preseason games (while on the 49ers), he looked really good.

Like a Wilson clone (ratcheted down a level or two), but certainly almost an outstanding backup if not near starter looking.

So I am baffled, if we indeed are struggling at depth for backup QB, why we would convert a viable option.

Did he regress?

Am I thinking of a different player and confusing him with that one? (I doubt this)

Were all the games where BJ looked great offset by tremendously horrible practices? (Because the other mystery is why any sane person would pick Gabbert over Daniels given how effective each looked when given the opportunity to get on the field. Gabbert looked horrible in preseason games, in real games and against air. A question for 49ers fans maybe...instead of Seahawk fans.)

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Glad to see Russell there. Things just don't seem right when it's not him throwing passes lol.

I'd imagine they are working BJ at both spots. Maybe they had him working at qb the past couple days just so they had 2 qb's in otas.

ivotuk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3hyi4y31 said:
The most bizarre part of that is that watching him in some of those preseason games (while on the 49ers), he looked really good.

Like a Wilson clone (ratcheted down a level or two), but certainly almost an outstanding backup if not near starter looking.

So I am baffled, if we indeed are struggling at depth for backup QB, why we would convert a viable option.

Did he regress?

Am I thinking of a different player and confusing him with that one? (I doubt this)

Were all the games where BJ looked great offset by tremendously horrible practices? (Because the other mystery is why any sane person would pick Gabbert over Daniels given how effective each looked when given the opportunity to get on the field. Gabbert looked horrible in preseason games, in real games and against air. A question for 49ers fans maybe...instead of Seahawk fans.)

That is an excellent question. Gabbert blows, Daniels was a pretty good QB at USF and has looked at least average in the NFL.

I think they started the conversion of BJ to WR last year when we had TJack at QB and didn't need a 3rd. Pete is always trying to get the most bang for his buck, especially when it comes to players on the roster (Olinemen playing multiple positions, our unique FB/DT, and now Daniels as a WR that can in a spot of need, throw the ball fairly well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would love to see him hold on FGs and PAT attempts.

Would be outright dangerous to have a holder that can throw the ball with accuracy, run well, and avoid tackles if need be.

But Pete knows more than I do, so if he thinks he is a WR, then apparently that is what he is.

Just not quite clear how stripping an effective backup QB, when we are thin there, is a great use of resources.

I suppose if Wilson goes down we are screwed anyway, but if we lose him for just one or two games it would be great to still have a fighting chance in those games since things like playing at home on the playoffs can hinge on those 1-2 games.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8s2pu1yo said:

Would be outright dangerous to have a holder that can throw the ball with accuracy, run well, and avoid tackles if need be.

But Pete knows more than I do, so if he thinks he is a WR, then apparently that is what he is.

Just not quite clear how stripping an effective backup QB, when we are thin there, is a great use of resources.

I suppose if Wilson goes down we are screwed anyway, but if we lose him for just one or two games it would be great to still have a fighting chance in those games since things like playing at home on the playoffs can hinge on those 1-2 games.

Don't know if the PAT thing makes any more sense with the placement at the 15.

And besides, Jon Ryan has a perfect QB rating. You just don't mess with that kind of success.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":mcjs8g68 said:
Anthony!":mcjs8g68 said:
Hasselbeck":mcjs8g68 said:

He had 4 grabs in the regular season and 1 in the NFC Championship against Carolina where he beat Ken Lucas like a drum on a sluggo route.

Ahh I must have forgotten about the 4 in the reg season thanks

grizbob

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2osa507n said:
TwistedHusky":2osa507n said:

And besides, Jon Ryan has a perfect QB rating. You just don't mess with that kind of success.

And you've got your avatar to prove it :lol:

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
grizbob":3tiur986 said:
Hasselbeck":3tiur986 said:
TwistedHusky":3tiur986 said:

And you've got your avatar to prove it :lol:

New theory: BJ Daniels is being moved to WR to slide Jon Ryan into the backup QB role.

Ryan can run the zone-read too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... first-down

Wilson better be on his A-game this Summer

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I read reports that Daniels has been working at QB in OTAs. I liked what I saw from Daniels in the brief action he received in the last preseason. It would be cool to have a backup QB who could also take a few snaps at receiver. It only adds to his value.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":329h4yg0 said:

Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, not Gabbert.

Daniels looked good in the late 4th quarter of some preseason games, but the 9ers were only keeping two QBs (and had four that were playing in pre-season), and decided to go with a veteran backup over a totally untested rookie who had only played against scrubs. There was talk that they were concerned about having him poached off the practice squad, which is what happened.

TBH at the time, knowing they were only keeping two QBs I thought the decision made sense, and I think it's even hard to argue now that it was a poor decision (unlike Daniels who has spent his last two years on the practice squad, those other guys this whole time have been #2s on the 9ers, Redskins, and Packers).

Maybe Daniels shows something eventually, but the Seahawks essentially did exactly what the 9ers were hoping to do with him. They could have taken him back off the Hawks' practice squad this whole time if they were willing to roster him for three weeks (IIRC that's the time frame), but never did.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2v7j4avs said:
TwistedHusky":2v7j4avs said:

Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, not Gabbert.

Daniels looked good in the late 4th quarter of some preseason games, but the 9ers were only keeping two QBs (and had four that were playing in pre-season), and decided to go with a veteran backup over a totally untested rookie who had only played against scrubs. There was talk that they were concerned about having him poached off the practice squad, which is what happened.

TBH at the time, knowing they were only keeping two QBs I thought the decision made sense, and I think it's even hard to argue now that it was a poor decision (unlike Daniels who has spent his last two years on the practice squad, those other guys this whole time have been #2s on the 9ers, Redskins, and Packers).

Maybe Daniels shows something eventually, but the Seahawks essentially did exactly what the 9ers were hoping to do with him. They could have taken him back off the Hawks' practice squad this whole time if they were willing to roster him for three weeks (IIRC that's the time frame), but never did.
I think there is an attraction to having a backup QB who has some of the traits of the starter, and BJ can run like Wilson and Kaep.
But I think reality sets in when they see the guy day to day and realize he lacks something fundamental at QB, which is why Seattle has been trying to see if he sticks at WR. Love the athlete, but just can't quite create a real role for him.
Of course, the tit for tat raiding of each other's practice squads has been an entertainment all it's own. We have gone from the outrage it used to create in the fanbase to almost just shruggable, hasn't it? When I hear we or SF signed a player who was formerly or currently with the other team in some capacity, it just seems like the natural order of things.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anthony!":377h08do said:
Going to be interesting at Wr for him and whose spot would he take?

Not sure. He has one more year of PS eligibility .. so it could be a work in progress. I imagine this is also the precursor to T-Jack returning.. since the only QB's on the roster now are Wilson and Archer.

Interesting thing to note though, Daniels is very similar in size to Randall Cobb - who was also a QB to WR convert. Maybe that's where this idea arose from.