Average points per game started by each QB

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
this is when people start arguing about andrew luck right?

edit: very cool stat thanks

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3cud5m4c said:

Andrew Luck was pretty high too, I'm too lazy to look it up!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Surely the only realistic way a QB can effect points conceded is by clock management i.e. keeping the D on the sidelines.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2nou9nmk said:
Surely the only realistic way a QB can effect points conceded is by clock management i.e. keeping the D on the sidelines.

I've always wondered if this is really an effective strategy. I mean, sure it keeps the opposing team from scoring points, but it also keeps your team from scoring points too. Is it effective because it keeps your defensive rested? Why does a defense benefit from rest but not an offense? I don't know...

VaporHawk

Reaction score
I don't know the effect on opposing defense but it seems like by the fourth quarter he has his way with them. Keeping them out there for long stretches might have something to do with it.

lobohawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3w5bvn1s said:
UK_Seahawk":3w5bvn1s said:

I've always wondered if this is really an effective strategy. I mean, sure it keeps the opposing team from scoring points, but it also keeps your team from scoring points too. Is it effective because it keeps your defensive rested? Why does a defense benefit from rest but not an offense? I don't know...

Guessing, but it may also get the other offense out of rhythm when they don't see the field.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":16eepwft said:
Russell is second in win percentage on that list (75%) trailing only the great Otto Graham (80%). Pretty cool.

That's some pretty rarefied air man! Rubbing shoulders with Staubach and Graham is a not a bad place to be!

notyou

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ox1lm86 said:
TheRealDTM":2ox1lm86 said:

Andrew Luck is ranked 157

Laloosh

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":30r92hvm said:
TheRealDTM":30r92hvm said:

All you have to do is type his name into the search box but yeah, his win percentage is 0.667 with an average of 23.54 PPG.

This has been a topic of discussion on the webzone for a little bit now and average points allowed is apparently proof that Luck is a real quarterback and Wilson is not.

BTW - The next article/blog in that series is MUCH more telling in my opinion. Average point differential per game.

http://www.footballperspective.com/aver ... arterback/

Russell is 2nd behind Otto Graham and ahead of Brady who is 3rd.

Sort of makes it more clear that Russell's defense isn't a crutch.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
fenderbender123":zdv7c6m7 said:
UK_Seahawk":zdv7c6m7 said:

I have to disagree with your point of this strategy not allowing the offense to score points. Sustaining drives with a ground game and short passes is a clock killer and if you can keep the opponent to 3 and out or just a single first down the scoring is going only in one direction. The strategy may limit high scoring games but it certainly won't stop, for example a 24 to nothing game. You just won't get the crazy numbers.

I remember the big dig on TJ was he could not sustain drives. RW lives on keeping drives alive.

Laloosh

Reaction score
v1rotv2":a57nc3l6 said:
fenderbender123":a57nc3l6 said:
UK_Seahawk":a57nc3l6 said:

I have to disagree with your point of this strategy not allowing the offense to score points. Sustaining drives with a ground game and short passes is a clock killer and if you can keep the opponent to 3 and out or just a single first down the scoring is going only in one direction. The strategy may limit high scoring games but it certainly won't stop, for example a 24 to nothing game. You just won't get the crazy numbers.

I remember the big dig on TJ was he could not sustain drives. RW lives on keeping drives alive.

Yeah, it's a combination of long drives and high scoring percentages. Opposing teams have fewer chances and if you've got a reliable defense like ours they'll eat up even more clock on fewer drives because they force opposing teams to dink and dunk down the field while having a low scoring percentage. It's complimentary offense and defense at it's best.

drdiags

Reaction score
The OP's link has Quincy Carter at #8 abd Trent Dilfer at #15. Not sure what that really tells you other than I am not sure the list is very revealing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
drdiags":24cgf7ii said:
The OP's link has Quincy Carter at #8 abd Trent Dilfer at #15. Not sure what that really tells you other than I am not sure the list is very revealing.

it's not, doc. If you take all three lists (offensive PPG, defensive PPG and point differential) into consideration, it does say something imo.

Guys like Dilfer wind up being #162 and #98 in offensive PPG and point differential.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Laloosh":8myyvsdf said:
Spin Doctor":8myyvsdf said:
TheRealDTM":8myyvsdf said:

All you have to do is type his name into the search box but yeah, his win percentage is 0.667 with an average of 23.54 PPG.

This has been a topic of discussion on the webzone for a little bit now and average points allowed is apparently proof that Luck is a real quarterback and Wilson is not.

BTW - The next article/blog in that series is MUCH more telling in my opinion. Average point differential per game.

Laloosh is right. Average of points allowed per game has almost nothing to do with Russell Wilson himself, and to me only gives those who believe Russell Wilson is sub-par and only good because of his defense more ammunition. The point differential between those two basically tells me Russell Wilson knows how to score points, even though I already know that through the "gotta see it to believe it" mantra.

Reading profootballtalk and other various forums the national consensus believe RW is still only an average QB and only good because of his defense. Most people also seem to believe Seattle will sink because of contract and salary cap issues, which is completely off base, based on little knowledge of contract situations, and the continuous salary cap raise. Although realizing it is futile to argue with such folks I still always try to provide one knowledgable post and then leave it be.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Laloosh":wtclk5lp said:
Spin Doctor":wtclk5lp said:
TheRealDTM":wtclk5lp said:

Wait a minute how Can a Wilson led team avg more points per game than a Luck led team. I mean luck has the top 10 Wr corps and top 10 Pass blocking oline and plays in the AFC. OH wait I know why.

Anthony!

Reaction score
original poster":1d6drwft said:
Yeah it's a bit of a false stat really, almost oranges and apples.

How false stat. Fact Wilson led the hawks to more points per game then Luck, despite luck playing in an easier division and conference. Despite Luck playing less top 10 defenses, despite luck having a better Wr corps and oline. Seems pretty cut and dry Wilson led his team to do more with less with regards to scoring.

original poster

Reaction score
Anthony!":33uz1q61 said:
original poster":33uz1q61 said:
Yeah it's a bit of a false stat really, almost oranges and apples.

How false stat. Fact Wilson led the hawks to more points per game then Luck, despite luck playing in an easier division and conference. Despite Luck playing less top 10 defenses, despite luck having a better Wr corps and oline. Seems pretty cut and dry Wilson led his team to do more with less with regards to scoring.

You're obsessed with beating Luck now as well?

Latest posts