Seahawks' not so secret weapon...

sutz

Reaction score
:)

I had NWCN on as background noise this morning and something came on that gave me pause. You see, they had Holmgren on for an interview and he said something very interesting. He claimed that he wanted to get Marshawn here, before Pete was coach, of course, but it was vetoed by the front office. It got me wondering. Why would Mike want Beast Mode on his WCO, pass oriented team?

Then it hit me. Marshawn is an underrated receiver out of the backfield. We kind of know that here in Seattle, because we've seen him catch and run for some serious gains over the years he's been here. In fact, I think he could actually do well in a passing offense, given that he was used properly. In Pete/Bevell's offense, that doesn't happen often....but it does happen.

So, could this be the wrinkle Pete is planning to foist on BB this Sunday? Perhaps we'll see ML on some wheel routes and screens. We know what he can do when he gets up a head of steam in the open field. Sure, he's a beast between the tackles, but he does his real damage juking and running over DBs. Generally, ML only gets a couple of pass opportunities per game. Maybe we'll see 5 or 6 attempts where ML is the primary target. If nothing else, it could open up down field opportunities for Baldie and Kearse.

My bold prediction: Marshawn Lynch 5 catches for 60+ yards in addition to his rushing yardage. :)

OkieHawk

Reaction score
sutz":3037ac2c said:

I had NWCN on as background noise this morning and something came on that gave me pause. You see, they had Holmgren on for an interview and he said something very interesting. He claimed that he wanted to get Marshawn here, before Pete was coach, of course, but it was vetoed by the front office. It got me wondering. Why would Mike want Beast Mode on his WCO, pass oriented team?

Then it hit me. Marshawn is an underrated receiver out of the backfield. We kind of know that here in Seattle, because we've seen him catch and run for some serious gains over the years he's been here. In fact, I think he could actually do well in a passing offense, given that he was used properly. In Pete/Bevell's offense, that doesn't happen often....but it does happen.

So, could this be the wrinkle Pete is planning to foist on BB this Sunday? Perhaps we'll see ML on some wheel routes and screens. We know what he can do when he gets up a head of steam in the open field. Sure, he's a beast between the tackles, but he does his real damage juking and running over DBs. Generally, ML only gets a couple of pass opportunities per game. Maybe we'll see 5 or 6 attempts where ML is the primary target. If nothing else, it could open up down field opportunities for Baldie and Kearse.

My bold prediction: Marshawn Lynch 5 catches for 60+ yards in addition to his rushing yardage. :)

Interesting point, and I agree with it. I don't remember the game but ML was wide open and Russ hit him for some serious yardage. There is no reason we can't use ML more in the receiving game.

LTH

Reaction score
Thats very possible! Seems like the Hawks dont run very many screens... that would be a nice change up... something NE might not expect...

LTH

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
pmedic920":1eob8uul said:
Interesting thought.
Did you add those 60 yards to your tiebreaker ?
Well, sort of. I figured ML would have yardage in both categories. ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know for sure that Russell sees him as a receiving option. There is a clip of him talking to Lynch late in the NFCCG, telling him to watch for a pass because the Packers defense was leaving him open in a certain situation. Then he hit him for the long gain on the pass where he just stepped out of bounds or he would have scored. That was a huge play in the game that wasn't discussed nearly as much as some of the other huge plays.

seabowl

Reaction score
sutz":3fbmdota said:

MH wanting Marshawn sounds like bullshit to me. MH built a roster mostly of high character guys and if I remember correctly Marshawns rep was not that on the Bills. Let me guess he was scouting Russell and Sherman out of high school too.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
seabowl":3urjnnxv said:
sutz":3urjnnxv said:

MH wanting Marshawn sounds like bullshit to me. MH built a roster mostly of high character guys and if I remember correctly Marshawns rep was not that on the Bills. Let me guess he was scouting Russell and Sherman out of high school too.
Tim Ruskell was running that team during the golly gee cub scout player era, not Holmgren. When Holmgren ran the show he wasn't afraid to take risk on players like Jeremy Stevens or Koren Robinson.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Wheel routes: Yes
Check Down: Yes
In the flat: Yes

Lined up out wide in an "Empty" set: please NO

OkieHawk

Reaction score
idahohawk":20sddewp said:

If you look back at those times though, this is when ML gets overlooked the most, especially in a soft zone.

dunceface

Reaction score
idahohawk":tt2ky9i8 said:

This please

Northhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":t0jg0pfb said:
sutz":t0jg0pfb said:

I could be wrong but I never thought Holmie made selecting high character guys his personal philosophy. In fact, didn't coddle a few problem children. T-Jack & Jeremy S come to mind.

Wasn't it He-who-shall-go-unnamed that had the high character philosophy.

idahawks

Reaction score
sutz":3w12p9x5 said:

Is that really a bold prediction? Marshawn has already had 3 games with 5 catches and 4 games over 40 yards receiving this year. He's got great hands and I think Wilson already looks to him as an outlet. 2-5 catches wouldn't be out of the norm.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I think we have to change our game plan and show something new. I see no reason why we should expect to have success in the passing game by keeping it the same. I predicted struggles against the Packers, and sure, plenty of that was on Russ, but P-Rich has been a massive loss. Whilst he wasn't putting up gaudy numbers, over the previous games he had been commanding respect and opening up parts of the field for our other guys. We have nobody else on the roster with that kind of ability.

In Lynch we have the best player in the NFL with the ball in his hands, it would totally make sense to try and utilize him more in a passing game in need of some playmakers. I really hope we see it. RO dump offs to Lynch in the space that Russell's spy has neglected etc.

I hope we throw in some different looks to keep them on their toes, because I don't think vanilla's going to cut it.

LTH

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":umksgu05 said:
I think we have to change our game plan and show something new. I see no reason why we should expect to have success in the passing game by keeping it the same. I predicted struggles against the Packers, and sure, plenty of that was on Russ, but P-Rich has been a massive loss. Whilst he wasn't putting up gaudy numbers, over the previous games he had been commanding respect and opening up parts of the field for our other guys. We have nobody else on the roster with that kind of ability.

In Lynch we have the best player in the NFL with the ball in his hands, it would totally make sense to try and utilize him more in a passing game in need of some playmakers. I really hope we see it. RO dump offs to Lynch in the space that Russell's spy has neglected etc.

I hope we throw in some different looks to keep them on their toes, because I don't think vanilla's going to cut it.

For sure Bilichick is going to be all over the film as well as Carroll I would expect to see some new stuff from both teams...

LTH

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":39c1u5ce said:

I agree. BB is pretty good at taking away a team's strength, and while I know we're confident, Pete & Co are not the kind of coaches to just bull through on what we've done so far. I expect some creative looks come Sunday, and I think ML could be a big part of it.

@ Idahawk: Perhaps it isnt a "bold" prediction, but I do suspect we'll get ML more involved in the passing game, and let him pinball the Patsies DBs a bit.

jhoeHawk

Reaction score
I dig it.

What is just as scary as Beastmode running through the line?

Beastmode catching passes against linebackers and the secondary!

LTH

Reaction score
Both teams are dissecting the film.... The Hawks dont blitz much from what I can remember... its true that Brady is awesome against the blitz it will be interesting to see if the Hawks give the Pats some different looks to get some pressure on Brady....

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
LTH":26eid1ur said:
Both teams are dissecting the film.... The Hawks dont blitz much from what I can remember... its true that Brady is awesome against the blitz it will be interesting to see if the Hawks give the Pats some different looks to get some pressure on Brady....
Oh yeah! Can't ignore the Defense. We don't do a lot of 'creativity' but I'm sure we'll throw down a wrinkle or two. Belichick is a master of designing new schemes and tricks for specific games. I don't know that we have to 'match' him, but we'll have to be ready for anything plus do some things we haven't done a lot of during the run up to this game.