Malcolm Smith...wheres he been lately?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I don't seem to see too much of the super bowl mvp other than on special teams lately...has he been replaced on defensive plays? Will he get a chance to show anymore super bowl magic?

pehawk

Reaction score
He played very good against GB, in spot duty. But, when pressed into starter reps, ouch, he stunk. He set linebacking back 30 years in the KC game alone.

kidhawk

Reaction score
He is still a backup linebacker. We have pretty solid depth at linebacker right now. I did notice he was out on Defense for the goal line stand against the Packers, so he does get some playing time on defense

BlueBlood

Reaction score
pehawk":2a46eojn said:
He played very good against GB, in spot duty. But, when pressed into starter reps, ouch, he stunk. He set linebacking back 30 years in the KC game alone.

True, hes just not very good intuitively

sutz

Reaction score
Well, technically, I don't think he was ever a starter, more of a replacement/role playeer type. IMHO, he won the SBMVP award almost by default. Sure, he made great plays, but so did many others. I never argued against it, because I know he'll probably never get that kind of opportunity again, except maybe this Sunday. But there were quite a few players that could have legitimately been awarded it.

He didn't play all that much last season, until late in the year IIRC.

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":1i482clx said:

Don't forget the SD game. It was a tie between him and Wright that day, Irvin = honorable mention.

Since then, the latter 2 have really stepped up, and as you said, Smith was great vs. GB in his few snaps. Could be an X-Factor.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2g0hqo11 said:
pehawk":2g0hqo11 said:

Smith played 2 snaps vs GB I believe.

Yes he did...and look at those two plays and you'll agree with me.

seabowl

Reaction score
I believe he is a FA. Say hello to Dallas. I like Malcolm but we can't keep them all.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kidhawk":2lvt7jg1 said:
He is still a backup linebacker. We have pretty solid depth at linebacker right now. I did notice he was out on Defense for the goal line stand against the Packers, so he does get some playing time on defense
He was key in getting one of those goal line stops too.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He started the year hurt and really struggled to play catchup, particularly in coverage. As of late, he has begun to return to form and has been solid in both coverage and against the run. It's a far cry from the elite play we saw from him in the final eight games of last season, but still solid play from a backup OLB.

Because he has struggled for so much of the year, the good news is we might be able to re-sign him to a veteran minimum deal (kind of like O'Brien Schofield after he failed his physical with the Giants).

Smellyman

Reaction score
sc85sis":ngwbrzyc said:
kidhawk":ngwbrzyc said:

Yup. He was the one who stopped Lacy on 3rd and Goal.

Malcolm is a very good linebacker behind a very good linebacker.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Smellyman":25ho91fs said:
sc85sis":25ho91fs said:
kidhawk":25ho91fs said:

Yup. He was the one who stopped Lacy on 3rd and Goal.

Malcolm is a very good linebacker behind a very good linebacker.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Team has extended K.J. Wright and Cliff Avril. Bobby is all-pro.
We have already drafted his replacement out of Boston College.
Malcom Smith will probably end up in Atlanta, Jacksonville or San Diego.

svenge

Reaction score
sutz":3eqssrug said:
I never argued against it, because I know he'll probably never get that kind of opportunity again, except maybe this Sunday. But there were quite a few players that could have legitimately been awarded it.

Personally, I think it was a good thing that Malcolm Smith got the SB MVP in that he's never going to get the kind of mega-payday that the other SB MVP candidates (Avril, Kam, etc.) got. At least now he's got memorabilia signings to fall back on long-term.