Bruce Arians just called Michael Bennett...

Laloosh

Reaction score
The most disruptive player in our division.

He just did a segment on NFL Insiders and provided what seemed like a pretty honest assessment of the matchups in the game.

Said:
- He doesn't think either team will have a big game through the air and that it'll be a "knock down, drag out fight".
- Wilson / Lynch is a two-headed monster that is extremely difficult to plan for.
- Kam can't cover Gronk 1:1 but he usually handles coverage in zone concepts so he'll likely be passing him off to someone like Earl.
- Earl is something special and you don't want to challenge him through the air.
- Said it's possible to take the top off of our coverage but doesn't think NE has the guys to do it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Laloosh":bsookdbw said:
The most disruptive player in our division.

He just did a segment on NFL Insiders and provided what seemed like a pretty honest assessment of the matchups in the game.

Said:
- He doesn't think either team will have a big game through the air and that it'll be a "knock down, drag out fight".
- Wilson / Lynch is a two-headed monster that is extremely difficult to plan for.
- Kam can't cover Gronk 1:1 but he usually handles coverage in zone concepts so he'll likely be passing him off to someone like Earl.
- Earl is something special and you don't want to challenge him through the air.
- Said it's possible to take the top off of our coverage but doesn't think NE has the guys to do it.

If it becomes a knock down, drag out fight, we win. New England just doesn't have the horses to compete physically.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I can't argue with any of it, and his analysis of the Super Bowl match-up is pretty much what I've been thinking.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. I respect Arians, but he's almost a fan boy of his own team; we've heard him all year heap tons of praise on his guys, so it surprised me that he would publicly rank a player from another team as the best at anything.

He's right about the Pats not being able to take the top off of our defense. Lafell can't do it and he's their best deep threat. THat and Brady doesn't have the arm strength anymore. Hell, even Rodgers doesn't take the top off of our defense, he hits deeper intermediate throws in the middle of our zone coverage.

The biggest problem I can see for Brady will be his ego. He's a total whiner in game. I can see him lobbing deep balls up for his guys and praying for a PI flag, then bitching to the refs when it doesn't happen.

You really, really don't want to throw jump balls at our corners.

canfan

Reaction score
That's nice. Arians is still an arrogant turd.

Foghawk

Reaction score
"Kam can't cover Gronk 1:1 but he usually handles coverage in zone concepts so he'll likely be passing him off to someone like Earl"

Maybe I underestimate Earl (I know he's plenty fast enough) but I'm not sure I like this scenario.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Foghawk":hq6n1dp2 said:
"Kam can't cover Gronk 1:1 but he usually handles coverage in zone concepts so he'll likely be passing him off to someone like Earl"

Maybe I underestimate Earl (I know he's plenty fast enough) but I'm not sure I like this scenario.

KJ Wright will most likely be covering Gronk, assuming they use a similar strategy that they used on Jimmy Graham and the Saints last year. It'd be nice to have Kam lay a few huge hits on Gronk early to set the tone.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Belichick will probably try to exploit the space between the linebackers and Earl. I also have no doubt they'll test both Earl and Sherm to see how they hold up.

I'd like to see Doug test Browner by reaching in a bit and see if he can get Brandon to draw flags.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sc85sis":2kud95ul said:
Belichick will probably try to exploit the space between the linebackers and Earl. I also have no doubt they'll test both Earl and Sherm to see how they hold up.

I'd like to see Doug test Browner by reaching in a bit and see if he can get Brandon to draw flags.

That's Kam territory

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":hr84iqbv said:
sc85sis":hr84iqbv said:

That's Kam territory

And KJ.

Kam and KJ are usually the one's following the TE's out into their routes. Like Arian's said, one on one? Not a great matchup but we like to bracket inside routes with Earl and/or a nickel DB......and I guarantee you Gronk will not see a lot of one on one coverage, if any.

That's why Pete loves length in his LB's and SS, cause it makes it super hard to drop passes inbetween the zones.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Here is what happened last time somebody told Kam he couldnt cover somebody...

[youtube]uoiY6FRyJaQ[/youtube]

formido

Reaction score
Any team can have the top taken off it, obviously, but Seattle's less susceptible than any other team in the league, so that's kind of a dumb thing to say. When has Seattle been beaten by a straight go route this year, once by Beckham against Sherman? And that ball was placed perfectly and Sherman still almost caught up with it. On the rare occasion Seattle gets beat deep, it's something that tricks the Cover 3 or a blown coverage. I mean, not giving up deep passes is kind of Seattle's thing.

I guess Arians thinks that one time we gave up a deep, disrupted, bobbled TD against Arizona two seasons ago--versus the 4 INTs mind you--is a sign Seattle can have the top taken off it.

Mick063

Reaction score
The Seattle safeties switch off receivers extremely well. They use the pass rush as an indicator. If Kam spots the QB under duress, he will leave his deep responsibility to Thomas and play robber with the underneath coverage as typically, the QB unloads quickly underneath to avoid the sack. Kam times this just as the QB lets go of the ball so there is that "oh crap" moment when he watches it unfold.

I have seen Kam do this many, many times.

I think this is exactly what Arians is depicting when he says Thomas will get some coverage of Gronk. The best case scenario is Gronk running patterns underneath while Brady is under duress, where Kam gets both a quick diagnosis and a running start. You can expect a major collision. Considering we have seen Kam pancake pulling tackles while shedding blocks, Gronk is not too big for him to inflict pain. Remember, Gronk must concentrate on receiving the ball and turning up field. All Kam has to concentrate on is laying the wood.

This only works if the pass rush is up to snuff. Otherwise Thomas has no help deep with Gronk if Kam plays robber with no pass rush. Then again, Kam uses the pass rush as an indicator before he commits underneath.