My Biggest Conern against NE - Lack of Pass Rush against GB?

stang233

Reaction score
So my biggest conecern is the lack of pass rush we had against New England this last week. Since we lost Hill we have lost something. Maybe someone can help me understand why we had no pressure on Rogers. I think we need to hit and disturb TB as much as possible. Does anyone habe a breakdown of how good the Patriots line is, ect....

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I agree. We did not get the pressure on Erin like I thought we should. We still did very well for ourselves considering. I wonder how the Pats O line stacks up against the Green Bay O line. If we can get pressure on a regular basis then we should do well. Although all bets are off after the last game.

Maybe some of the Pats fans on our boards can help here.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I feel OPs concern but I would like to offer that the Greenbay offensive line is better at pass pro in my opinion, by quite a bit. I think the pass rush will be a strength in this matchup. Also, it better be.

kpak76

Reaction score
Yea Pass rush wasn't great. Maybe we can target some more of it in the draft or FA if we have the $$ left after extensions. For now, we have to hope OB Schofield can bring it. He's the next man up now.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe we could come up with a blitz or two? Do something to help our front 4?

Marlin Man

Reaction score
westill managed to win somehow??? But man ZERO- absolutely ZERO pressure?? What the hell is with Quinn, he can't send a few Blitzes???? GQ Brady is going to pick our ass apart!

Optimus25

Reaction score
i just think the ends need to stop getting pushed 4 yds behind the quarterback. we were getting the jump from the edges but then the O tackles were just easily bouncing them out and by the time rodgers had a look at first and second reads, our ends were literally 5 yds deep BEHIND rodgers. worst case scenario, try to get the edge, but as soon as you realize you are over-pursuing, at least engage the lineman to maintain a rushing lane and also have the ability to get your hands up. how many times does Watt not get to the quarterback but still disrupt the play? Our guys either get there, or end up way too far out of the play one way or another. allowing rodgers or brady to laterally slide because you got pushed 8 yds into the backfield is just asking for a big play.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
stang233":1orntrmr said:
So my biggest conecern is the lack of pass rush we had against New England this last week. Since we lost Hill we have lost something. Maybe someone can help me understand why we had no pressure on Rogers. I think we need to hit and disturb TB as much as possible. Does anyone habe a breakdown of how good the Patriots line is, ect....

IDK...I wouldnt worry about it to much. As a Vikings fan as well it seemed liked the Dline hardly ever got to Rodgers and they had one of the best Dlines in the league for a few years when the Packers Oline wasnt so great.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I know Rodgers had the gimpy leg but this will be the first playoff game with a stationary target at QB. Hopefully that helps

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Optimus25":1suohzfg said:
i just think the ends need to stop getting pushed 4 yds behind the quarterback. we were getting the jump from the edges but then the O tackles were just easily bouncing them out and by the time rodgers had a look at first and second reads, our ends were literally 5 yds deep BEHIND rodgers. worst case scenario, try to get the edge, but as soon as you realize you are over-pursuing, at least engage the lineman to maintain a rushing lane and also have the ability to get your hands up. how many times does Watt not get to the quarterback but still disrupt the play? Our guys either get there, or end up way too far out of the play one way or another. allowing rodgers or brady to laterally slide because you got pushed 8 yds into the backfield is just asking for a big play.

I was going to mention the same thing...Our ends always get a great push on the outside but then the inside push is not there and the QB steps up and only has 2 guys on the line to avoid. I think we also need to have Bennet move inside more to get a better inside rush

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seemed like our guys got a good jump on many occasions from the edge rush but our interior pressure was "turrible... juss turrible..."

Blitzer88

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1ns90rd4 said:
Maybe we could come up with a blitz or two? Do something to help our front 4?

That could be risky as Brady gets ride of the ball very quickly, plus I read a couple stats the other day where it said he is statistically the best QB against the blitz in the league this year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The Hawks won't "change it up" at all. They will play their game and they will win.

You can be nervous about the lack of pass rush, but we are still 2-0 without Hill

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I kind of feel our team right now has the same issues we had in 2012 where we ended our season playing Atlanta.

It was after that year where we recognized really the need for some DL help after we were gashed by Gonzo. I just see a similar pattern happening this SB.

In fact, one could really make a case where we are not even as close to as what we were that year. I believe we had Rice and Tate and a healthy Miller perhaps? It's somewhat countered that Russell is better but still this team to me reeks of 12.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
New England's tackles are strong . . . but the interior of that line is one of the softest in the league. Must exploit it. I could see Bennett having a huge game while rushing from the interior.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":7j27rzex said:
I feel OPs concern but I would like to offer that the Greenbay offensive line is better at pass pro in my opinion, by quite a bit. I think the pass rush will be a strength in this matchup. Also, it better be.

What he said. John Clayton believe Josh Sitton to be a top 5 Guard in the NFL and I have heard/read the same sentiment several times since.

Bulaga has played well with a few years under his belt, and Bakthiari is a highly rated left tackle.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":2cw2t3lj said:

Very true. Green Bay's OL is the best in the league in pass pro. New England's, particuarily their interior, has been one of the worst this season. They traded away Logan Mankins, and even if Bryan Stork plays, you can't expect him to play well on a bad knee.

27. New England Patriots (14th)
PB: 32nd, RB: 13th, PEN: 20th

Stud: The only starter with a positive grade in pass protection is Sebastian Vollmer. That’s not what this line is used to, but it’s all they have right now.

Dud: It proved a bad idea to start Jordan Devey and the 2013 undrafted free agent who struggled in preseason was benched, but not before the damage was done.

Summary: For years New England has had one of the best lines in the league. They dropped off a little last year and have really hit hard times in 2014. They’ve struggled to find the right combination as they try to blend in new players and you get the feeling this is going to be a rollercoaster season for the unit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ankings-2/

LTH

Reaction score
seemed to me they rushed 4 all game... maybe we will see some blitz packages vs NE....

LTH

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LTH":jwd9s72w said:
seemed to me they rushed 4 all game... maybe we will see some blitz packages vs NE....

LTH

They had Irvin rushing quite a bit in the last game. But hopefully we won't need to in this game. . . the defense functions best when the front four generates sufficient pressure, allowing the back seven to drop into coverage.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1fa43mdk said:
I kind of feel our team right now has the same issues we had in 2012 where we ended our season playing Atlanta.

It was after that year where we recognized really the need for some DL help after we were gashed by Gonzo. I just see a similar pattern happening this SB.

In fact, one could really make a case where we are not even as close to as what we were that year. I believe we had Rice and Tate and a healthy Miller perhaps? It's somewhat countered that Russell is better but still this team to me reeks of 12.

Yup, our offense was better in 2012. But I think our Offense has been trying to recover ever since Miller went down. He was a vital part of what we do and he's been missed all year.

Latest posts