Kearse and Willson source of Wilson's woes yesterday

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Kearse, as everyone by now knows, was very aptly named yesterday. He caught 1 of the 6 passes thrown his way. 4 of the other passes to him were intercepted. Yeah, we know the one catch was redemption, but to get targeted 6 times and have 1 rec and 4 ints? UGH!

Then there's our favorite drop-a-holic, Luke Willson. He caught 2 of 5 passes thrown to him for 11 yds.

You take out those two players and Russell Wilson actually had a pretty fair day throwing to everyone else.

11/18 163 yds. 0 TD, 0 INT, 9.06 ypa throwing to everyone not named Kearse or Willson. That's significantly better than his 3/11 46yds, 1TD, 4 INT, 4.1ypa throwing to Mr. maybe I better go back for more Lasik and Mr. Boy I wish we had a catching TE.

Was it a bad day for Wilson? Consider Baldwin had 6 recs out of 8 targets for 106 yds.

So Wilson had suckage issues, possible concussion, maybe just has trouble in the rain, but to Baldwin he could throw just fine? To the rest of the team he was doing okay?

No, just to Luke Willson, who is ALWAYS dropping passes and to Jermaine Kearse who, for whatever reason, was truly Kearsed yesterday.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great points.

I think Russell pressed too hard to try and get it to Kearse, especially that EZ pass where there was zero chance of Kears being open, and the double coverage was not smart. I think Russell has become too dependent on Jermaine.

2 of those INTs bounced off of Jermaine's hands and they were a little bit of a reach, on a rainy day for a catch, however, Lockette made the same kind of catch, barely, but beautifully.

I believe Russell should have gone with the hot hand, Ricardo Lockette, instead of trying to force it to Kearse.

And Luke Willson only seems to be able to catch over the shoulder passes and high arcing passes. He needs to work on catching it with his arms stretched out.

I see what you are saying, but I think RW is just as much to blame for forcing it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Kearse and Willson are both maddeningly inconsistent.

But, there is something to be said for making plays when it matters most. Willson's improbable two-point catch (which he juggled a bit) and of course, Kearse's game winner were both redeeming.

Look at it this way - probably the worst game of the Carroll era, and we won. So look at it this way - there's no way we repeat that horror show in the Superb Owl.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
maybe i missed something being at the game but where are the wilson concussion rumors coming from? Did he take a big hit early? Being at the game you don't get the same information and don't always notice those things I guess.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I just can't say anything bad about Kearse or Willson at this point. Meanly because i am too spoiled by what happened yesterday.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Hey he said Kearse = curse - better lock or delete this thread...

Northhawk

Reaction score
Hard to argue with what you're saying about Kearse. However, I think you're being unfair with Willson. Russ was not sharp on two of the three incompletions.

Don't mind calling players out when they deserve it but including Willson in this thread seems to be more mythology than reality. Willson is a rook. I prefer to hold judgement on the guy until he's played a little more.

That said both were clutch when they needed to be and that's what matters the most.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ah2vg9d said:
maybe i missed something being at the game but where are the wilson concussion rumors coming from? Did he take a big hit early? Being at the game you don't get the same information and don't always notice those things I guess.

Clay Matthews' flag was for a nasty hit on Russell. I think the call was "blind side block" after one of RW's INTs, but the announcers said it should have been helmet-to-helmet. Russell's head got snapped around pretty violently. Terrifying on the replay.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":z8cb87l9 said:

Clay Matthews helmet-to-helmet hit on Russell Wilson.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Northhawk":27ke04f4 said:
Hard to argue with what you're saying about Kearse. However, I think you're being unfair with Willson. Russ was not sharp on two of the three incompletions.

Don't mind calling players out when they deserve it but including Willson in this thread seems to be more mythology than reality. Willson is a rook. I prefer to hold judgement on the guy until he's played a little more.

That said both were clutch when they needed to be and that's what matters the most.
Willson is NOT a rookie. Don't know why it keeps getting posted on. NET

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeaChase":2bo1pfyj said:

There is no reason why we can't discuss this like adults. Anybody who finds it inconvenient to do so, can always take some time off.

razgriz737

Reaction score
While Kearse undoubtedly had a horrible game yesterday, not every interception that went his way was his fault. Some of those were on Russ too.

EDIT: Also Lockette quietly had a nice game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
And what if you actually break down the uncaught targets? I remember the one Willson drop where it didn't matter because he was 6 yards short and shouldn't have gotten the pass in the first place. If you want to make this claim, you have to provide better (or any) evidence. What about the other two? Were they catchable?

2 of Russ's INTs were bad decisions compounded by weather. You don't get to toss them out with the trash.

This thread is disingenuous in its scapegoating and is quite frankly embarrassing.

KatarHol

Reaction score
Kearse has been a big part of this magical run the last two years with clutch catch after clutch catch. I don't think a rough game in wet conditions is reason enough for a 12 to go around associating his name with curse. Its sickening, really. People get mighty defensive about this sort of thing around here, but is your life not filled with enough cynical bullsh*t as it is? Just enjoy it man.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
KatarHol":zufrn8wy said:
Kearse has been a big part of this magical run the last two years with clutch catch after clutch catch. I don't think a rough game in wet conditions is reason enough for a 12 to go around associating his name with curse. Its sickening, really. People get mighty defensive about this sort of thing around here, but is your life not filled with enough cynical bullsh*t as it is? Just enjoy it man.

Indeed. Dude gave us one of the most clutch plays ever. Let's keep ripping on him, though.

SeaChase

Reaction score
ivotuk":2pnb9qn9 said:
SeaChase":2pnb9qn9 said:

There is no reason why we can't discuss this like adults. Anybody who finds it inconvenient to do so, can always take some time off.

Who's not discussing this like adults? I was referring to the similar topic I posted yesterday that disappeared into thin air. Lets act like adults and not threaten people for no reason.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Wilson was the source of a lot of his woes yesterday. Did the Oline help? no. Was kearse terrible outside of the game winning catch? absolutely.
But even I as a russell wilson apologist think this is over the top.
willson bailed out wilson on the 2 point conversion and made a key reception on the final drive and fought for the 1st down when he caught the ball short of the sticks, if you want to say he was bad blockingwise I don't watch enough film to argue with that, but I fail to see how he was bad in the passing game.
which one of Willson's incompletions were drops?

mikeak

Reaction score
Worst drop was Lynch on left sideline. Dropped beautifully in there by RW

Worst impact was Kearse. 2out of 4ints are his "fault" other two belongs with RW

That short one to Willson on 3rd down was horrible by RW. Way in front, way short and not under real pressure. Strange decision

Latest posts