Kearse and Willson source of Wilson's woes yesterday

davidonmi

Reaction score
mikeak":s3cu158f said:
Worst drop was Lynch on left sideline. Dropped beautifully in there by RW

Worst impact was Kearse. 2out of 4ints are his "fault" other two belongs with RW

That short one to Willson on 3rd down was horrible by RW. Way in front, way short and not under real pressure. Strange decision
the lynch drop was a good play by the defender. It was dropped in perfectly by wilson but it wasn't an easy catch by any means. The only bad drop imo was Baldwin on the sideline, the seahawks got the 1st down anyway on the next play however.

Kearse was definitely responsible for 2 of the 4 ints

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Just love how Russ gets a free pass from the OP for bad weather, but receivers don't.

Baldwin had a drop, and so did Lynch. Both would have been huge plays. Want to rip on them too?

mikeak

Reaction score
davidonmi":3j8zx0wr said:
mikeak":3j8zx0wr said:
Worst drop was Lynch on left sideline. Dropped beautifully in there by RW

Worst impact was Kearse. 2out of 4ints are his "fault" other two belongs with RW

That short one to Willson on 3rd down was horrible by RW. Way in front, way short and not under real pressure. Strange decision
the lynch drop was a good play by the defender. It was dropped in perfectly by wilson but it wasn't an easy catch by any means. The only bad drop imo was Baldwin on the sideline, the seahawks got the 1st down anyway on the next play however.

Kearse was definitely responsible for 2 of the 4 ints

I should have said biggest drop not worst. Agree Baldwin was worst.

In the Lynch play the defender is in the way but did NOT knock the ball out. Lynch just didn't catch it.

Scottemojo makes a very fair point. Rain made it hard on everybody

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Russell had a shit day, his worst as a pro throwing into double coverage once and underthrowing Kearse once costing the team 3 points. Kearse had a shit game too (probably his worst as pro too) and so did Baldwin and as Scott mentioned above, Lynch did him no favors and as the OP said neither did Luke. The whole offense shit the bed for 55 minutes and then simply blew up and played like we thought they would going into the game.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":xgcgrnqv said:
And what if you actually break down the uncaught targets? I remember the one Willson drop where it didn't matter because he was 6 yards short and shouldn't have gotten the pass in the first place. If you want to make this claim, you have to provide better (or any) evidence. What about the other two? Were they catchable?

2 of Russ's INTs were bad decisions compounded by weather. You don't get to toss them out with the trash.

This thread is disingenuous in its scapegoating and is quite frankly embarrassing.
I'm not trying to scapegoat at all. Facts are facts however. The problem lies in the plays he targeted to those two. Is that coincidental? Doesn't seem likely.

Your points are very valid. Can we break down those uncaught targets? Does Willson not deserve to be included?

Well, actually, I CAN break down each target. I downloaded the game video. I also can look up the plays on ESPN play by play.

First pass to Kearse. Kearse is right where he is supposed to be. This is a very quick route that has no time for separation. It's about body placement and Kearse has the defender boxed out. The ball is right in Kearse's hands. The ball, in slow motion, can be seen to bounce out of Kearse's hands before the defender makes any contact.

This is completely Kearse's fault. Wilson couldn't have placed that ball any better to give his receiver a chance. Result: Interception.

Second pass to Kearse. This one is all on Wilson. He hung that one. Lack of arm strength or throwing it into the wind or what I don't know. Maybe it was the sun in his eyes? But if he puts that pass 10 yards deeper it's a TD. Instead, Kearse had to hold up to wait for it and Dix picked it off.

Third pass to Kearse. This is the DPI interception. How many times have we seen Wilson lay up this exact same pass, Kearse cuts back, gets his body in position and goes up for it? Wilson looked bad not so much because he threw it to where Shields could pick it off, but because he threw it right where Kearse could bounce inside of Shields, go up and make a TD catch. But instead Shields grabs a fistful of Kearse uniform, keeps Kearse out of position and basically boxes Kearse out. Looked like Shields did his film study and was ready for that move. Watch it again in slow mo from the endzone and it's obvious Shields had a huge fistful of Kearse's jersey which he uses to help him keep Kearse out of position.

You could see the timing of this pass that Kearse was meant to cut back as Shields over ran the play. You could even tell because like every time they run this play, the WR doesn't look back until after Wilson has already thrown it. I ran this play in slo-mo and that's exactly how it happened. Except the part where Kearse actually, you know, cuts back. Instead he gets man handled by Shields out of position and Shields gets away with blatant DPI to make the INT.

Wasn't apparent in the original overhead view, but in replay, as I slowed the play down and asked myself, what is Shields doing with his right hand there? Oh lookie! Just for an instant we get a glimpse of DPI.

But in the end, it's Kearse's job to get himself in position for that pass and he didn't look like he knew he was supposed to be doing a cut back when he turned for that play. Instead, he ended up staggering backwards and giving up all positioning to Shields. Of course, if Shields isn't illegally grabbing a huge wad of Kearse's jersey, he won't be able to out position Kearse to begin with.

So that INT is on cheating Packers and blind refs making yet another Non Call.

Fourth pass to Kearse. This is the exact same route and the first interception, only deeper. which means Kearse had more time to see it coming, more time to get even better separation, which he did and less, way less, excuses to not catch that ball.

That int was SO on Kearse.

Fifth pass to Kearse There wasn't much choice on the throw for Wilson. Kearse wide right, 2 WR's left. GB left Kearse one on one with no safety help over the top. Kearse was Wilson's only target. The other WR's routes took them right into heavy traffic. But Kearse makes a play and it's a TD or 1st and goal.

Again, Kearse did not get position on the play. Nothing wrong with the pass, Kearse just got beat by the defender, who had better position on him. Should Wilson have not thrown it and taken a sack or should Kearse have fought harder to get position on the defender? Watching replay it was Kearse who committed OPI on this play.t.

I give this one to Kearse. Wilson throws it because he has faith in Kearse to make that leaping catch falling backwards we've seen a dozen times. But Kearse, once again, is unable to get position. He looks downright slow on this play.

Sixth pass to Kearse. TD. Game over.

So out of 6 passes to Kearse, I see one TD and 1 bad pass by Wilson, 1 defender got away with interference so well that I don't think anyone but I saw it and not until multiple views in slo-mo. 3 passes that were Kearse's fault, 2 of which directly led to turnovers.

That's Kearse's Terrible, Horrible, Really Bad, No Good Day, not Wilsons.

First throw to Willson Bad throw by Wilson.

Second throw to Willson Luke should have caught that. Easy catch in fact. zero excuse for dropping that pass.

Third pass to Luke Going back and watching it in slo-mo, that was right on Lukes hands. No excuse not to pull that in except, well, he's got hands of granite slabs.

Fourth pass to Luke complete for 3 yards. Baby pass so easy to catch even a caveman could do it.

Fifth pass to Luke complete for 8 yards and a manly man effort to push two guys backwards and get the first down. Luuuuuuuke.

2 pt conversion doesn't count in the stat line. don't bitch at me about it, that's NFL rules.

So all in all, that's 11 passes, five of which were dropped and entirely the WR's fault, two of which led to INTs. one pass that the db got away with dpi and an int. 3 that were caught and 2 passes that were bad passes by Wilson, one of which ended in an INT.

This was on Luke and Jermaine far more than it was on Wilson. Not trying to lay blame. Just having an Honest Monday.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":11pfjo44 said:
Just love how Russ gets a free pass from the OP for bad weather, but receivers don't.

Baldwin had a drop, and so did Lynch. Both would have been huge plays. Want to rip on them too?
Scotte, read my OP again. Nowhere was I giving Wilson a pass for bad weather. I was saying if you blame the bad passes on Wilson general suckage, or if you blame it on concussion or bad weather, that makes no sense because he wasn't suffering from general suckage, bad weather or concussion when he threw it to anyone not named Kearse or WIllson.

That would be the opposite of giving wilson a pass due to weather.

Yeah, Baldwin let one go and so did Lynch. Two guys, two drops. This is two guys, exact same amount of targets as Baldwin and Lynch, FIVE drops that are solely their own fault, two of which led to INT's.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus. I'm just having an Honest Monday.

Wilson wasn't having that terrible a day. Kearse was. Luke was having a typical hands of granite day.

Shields was having an Oh lookie, I can get away with blatant holding and DPI and make an INT and no one will realize it because the camera angle only catches me doing it for a split second you can only catch in slo mo but was still blatant DPI kinda day.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather know that Wilson didn't have a shit day, Kearse did. Though honestly, I'd rather it had been Wilson. Wilson isn't likely to have back to back shit days. Kearse's dropsies, however, were supposed to be a thing of the past. His not getting into position was never a problem before. Kearse could very well have another shit day come Super Bowl Sunday. Luke we know is going to drop passes. It's what he does. But if he's hot, he's really good. sorta like Jay Buhner. Strike out or home run.

We need Kearse to play better next week. I don't think we have to worry about Wilson.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2rw1uofj said:

This. ^^^^^ There is no reason why this team shouldn't be prepared to play in wind and rain. Maybe some more practices need to happen outside on windy, rainy days rather than retreating to the indoor field. The Packers showed up way better prepared for that. Unacceptable performance for most of the game by the RAIN CITY's team. [emoji19]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2cfnoeoi said:
Russell had a shit day, his worst as a pro throwing into double coverage once and underthrowing Kearse once costing the team 3 points. Kearse had a shit game too (probably his worst as pro too) and so did Baldwin and as Scott mentioned above, Lynch did him no favors and as the OP said neither did Luke. The whole offense shit the bed for 55 minutes and then simply blew up and played like we thought they would going into the game.
All because of a diabolical scheme by Goodell to deny a condition that brings out our peak performance... prime time!

That's OK through, because by 2PM we had just enough mojo to pull it off.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2thmu44t said:
Scottemojo":2thmu44t said:

Scotte, read my OP again. Nowhere was I giving Wilson a pass for bad weather. I was saying if you blame the bad passes on Wilson general suckage, or if you blame it on concussion or bad weather, that makes no sense because he wasn't suffering from general suckage, bad weather or concussion when he threw it to anyone not named Kearse or WIllson.

Yeah, Baldwin let one go and so did Lynch. Two guys, two drops. This is two guys, exact same amount of targets as Baldwin and Lynch, FIVE drops that are solely their own fault, two of which led to INT's.

Wilson wasn't having that terrible a day. Kearse was. Luke was having a typical hands of granite day.

Shields was having an Oh lookie, I can get away with blatant holding and DPI and make an INT and no one will realize it because the camera angle only catches me doing it for a split second you can only catch in slo mo but was still blatant DPI kinda day.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather know that Wilson didn't have a shit day, Kearse did. Though honestly, I'd rather it had been Wilson. Wilson isn't likely to have back to back shit days. Kearse's dropsies, however, were supposed to be a thing of the past. His not getting into position was never a problem before. Kearse could very well have another shit day come Super Bowl Sunday. Luke we know is going to drop passes. It's what he does. But if he's hot, he's really good. sorta like Jay Buhner. Strike out or home run.

We need Kearse to play better next week. I don't think we have to worry about Wilson.

Both QBs are normally accurate and missed easy passes. It isn't a coincidence. Passing in wind and sideways rain throws everything off.

I don't think many are unaware that Kearse had the worst game of his career, as did Russ. Willson may have stone hands, but he caught a miraculous 2 point conversion, and boxed out the defender to do it. Kearse was horrid. But got his redemption.

Go back and watch the game vs the Saints last year. A few Seahawks had truly horrid games then too. Stiff wind is one of the worst things for football, add rain and it becomes truly awful to try an execute precision. The Deep ball into double coverage hung in the wind. The pick at the pylon hung in the wind, in addition to being a back shoulder throw that the DB turned to see just as Russell let it go. The two off of Kearse's hands might have moved just a few inches, but it was enough to make catches into deflections.

The truth is, compared to many teams, Seattle does not drop a lot of balls. Willson has his issues, but it isn't like he caught a lot of passes at Rice, there is going to be a curve with him. Maybe he never is a great pass catcher. I made a thread last week about how we have no high point pass catchers, and it showed. But overall, so many guys had drops that it can't just be them making mistakes.

They all had a shit day in shit conditions. The Saints game last year didn't have all the turnovers, but Wilson had a shit day then too. It wasn't the rain, it was the wind.

But guess what, our next game will have no wind. Guaranteed. I fear zero carryover from this game, because this game was an outlier.

The point is, when you have an outlier game, where something unusual hits the ENTIRE team, like the drops, you have to treat it like that. Haushka missed 3 field goals in a game, was he suddenly bad at kicking? No, it was an outlier.

Yesterday was an outlier.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":308hk6ei said:
SalishHawkFan":308hk6ei said:
Scottemojo":308hk6ei said:

Both QBs are normally accurate and missed easy passes. It isn't a coincidence. Passing in wind and sideways rain throws everything off.

I don't think many are unaware that Kearse had the worst game of his career, as did Russ. Willson may have stone hands, but he caught a miraculous 2 point conversion, and boxed out the defender to do it. Kearse was horrid. But got his redemption.

Go back and watch the game vs the Saints last year. A few Seahawks had truly horrid games then too. Stiff wind is one of the worst things for football, add rain and it becomes truly awful to try an execute precision. The Deep ball into double coverage hung in the wind. The pick at the pylon hung in the wind, in addition to being a back shoulder throw that the DB turned to see just as Russell let it go. The two off of Kearse's hands might have moved just a few inches, but it was enough to make catches into deflections.

The truth is, compared to many teams, Seattle does not drop a lot of balls. Willson has his issues, but it isn't like he caught a lot of passes at Rice, there is going to be a curve with him. Maybe he never is a great pass catcher. I made a thread last week about how we have no high point pass catchers, and it showed. But overall, so many guys had drops that it can't just be them making mistakes.

They all had a shit day in shit conditions. The Saints game last year didn't have all the turnovers, but Wilson had a shit day then too. It wasn't the rain, it was the wind.

But guess what, our next game will have no wind. Guaranteed. I fear zero carryover from this game, because this game was an outlier.

The point is, when you have an outlier game, where something unusual hits the ENTIRE team, like the drops, you have to treat it like that. Haushka missed 3 field goals in a game, was he suddenly bad at kicking? No, it was an outlier.

Yesterday was an outlier.
Makes me wonder if Wilson's high release point might actually be a liability on windy days. Roll outs, dumpoffs and, most if all, a much heavier dose of Marshawn sounds prudent for the situation.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The media is thrashing Clinton Dix for looking dumb on that 2 point conversion. I have watched that play a dozen times, I think that pass sailed an extra couple yards on the breeze, surprising everyone. Finally the wind gave one back.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
So everyone gets a pass due to the wind? Sure, why not? We'll call ADB the Wind Whisperer from now on because for some reason it didn't affect him. His one drop was a case of turning to run before he tucked the ball in.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":19nqsa13 said:
So everyone gets a pass due to the wind? Sure, why not? We'll call ADB the Wind Whisperer from now on because for some reason it didn't affect him. His one drop was a case of turning to run before he tucked the ball in.
That ball was wet too. As was the one he fumbled.

Pete will tell the truth as need be. We can rehash it, but I have no idea how to give anyone on the team a free pass, mostly because I have no idea how to hold them accountable for their grave errors.

Perhaps you should twitter your concerns directly to Kearse, Willson, and Wilson. Give them the business, man. They screwed up, and they deserve it.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I think there is an important point not being made in this thread. While we are busy maligning our receiving targets for not coming up with every catch, we are overlooking the fact that this is still a very young team, particularly on offense. Compare what we have now, which is a shot at a 2nd Super Bowl win (granted by the sheer grace of whatever the hell that was I watched yesterday), and an offensive team of young misfits who bring their lunch to work, to what we used to have in Holmgren, which is aging 30+ vets trying not to get hurt while they think about how to spend their millions. Young kids make mistakes. I clearly recall Holmgren as having the position that "youth is best served on defense". Holmy loathed the very thought of rookie starters on offense. How many rookies have we thrown in the fire since we started our ascension to dominance? I am with everyone here when I say it's frustrating to watch, but holy shit guys, given what we used to have, I will take this now and twice on Super Bowl Sunday Night.

I understand the desire to win every game by 20 points, but people really should lay off the criticism of our receivers. When was the last time you saw one of those overpaid NFL "divas" (who are ALL going to watch the Super Bowl from their couches) willingly take on a linebacker at the second level, in run blocking? I love a good blowout, but folks, let me tell you, 25 years from now, this is the game we will all be remembering. Jermaine did us all proud with the way he closed out that game. I will remember the adversity, but above all else, I will remember the gutsy catch he made with Tramon Williams draped over him like a barber's cape, and the raw, honest emotion he showed in the following interview where he admitted to "not making all his plays". Let him be his own critic, guys. He is a huge part of this team's history now and has a lengthy reel of highlights, many of which are him bailing our team's ass out of hot water. Have any of his more vocal critics been keeping a sum tally of all the games he has won or made clutch contributions for us? I love watching the kid play. Physically, he's like a cross between Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward.

Willson is getting things figured out. Both Jermaine and Luke are young players who will learn from the mistakes they made in this game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't even want to think in terms of who did what wrong. IMO, everyone did something to contribute to the ugliness, and everyone did something to contribute to the ultimate victory. Win as a team, lose as a team, and I think the win over the Packers is the quintessential example of that truism.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Willson had a couple of drops but he actually had a couple of fantastic plays including the extra point that probably one the game for us. He does drop a ball here and there but he is a keeper. He has made some huge plays for us this year. Kearse also had a rough day but he stepped up when he needed too just like he did in the Carolina game last year and the NFC championship game vs the 49ers and the Super Bowl when he scored one of the greatest TD's I've ever seen! Now too this year, he might have been our MVP last week vs Carolina and he managed to pull in the game winning TD on a play he was obviously interfered with.
Somehow there seems to be an expectation on him and the rest of our WR's like they were something we wasted draft picks on, these guys weren't even drafted. If Kearse never played another game he has already had an incredible career and angry Doug has been a complete stud here, he would be our Bobby Engram if he could actually just play in the slot! I love Golden Tate but people are making way too much out of a guy that had a great year opposite Calvin Johnson in a pass happy offense, you would have seen very similar results if Baldwin had been in that position.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":218omdby said:
And what if you actually break down the uncaught targets? I remember the one Willson drop where it didn't matter because he was 6 yards short and shouldn't have gotten the pass in the first place. If you want to make this claim, you have to provide better (or any) evidence. What about the other two? Were they catchable?

2 of Russ's INTs were bad decisions compounded by weather. You don't get to toss them out with the trash.

This thread is disingenuous in its scapegoating and is quite frankly embarrassing.

QFT.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3ju9tcj6 said:
I think there is an important point not being made in this thread. While we are busy maligning our receiving targets for not coming up with every catch, we are overlooking the fact that this is still a very young team, particularly on offense.

Agreed. Youth and inexperience, including Russell Wilson's, play a big role in the sloppiness that we see from this team, and that is okay. It means we're going to grow and get better.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
That is how he played often back then, very very inconsistant, the drops were the reasonis was UNDRAFTED.

I for one had been shocked at his so called "transformation" at Seattle, but it looks like he is starting to revert back to form