Are the Hawks the 21st century version of The U?

seabowl

Reaction score
I mean this in a good way. Are todays Hawks and what John/Pete are building here, the NFL version of The U? Dominating performances, trash talking players that back up what they say, a coach that gets the most out of his players and that many people dislike, and just retooling when they lose players to free agency? Other than the Cowboys of the 90's I don't remember a team like this in the NFL and even the Cowboys lost their swagger soon after Jimmy left. IMO the closest thing to what the Hawks are doing now is comparing them to The U of the 80's/90's. Only time will tell if they can keep it going but with such a young group of players performing at such a high level this could be something the NFL has never seen before. I guess the Niners of the 80s and early 90s could also be considered too. Thoughts?

Giblien

Reaction score
Time will tell, but I think as long as PC/JS are in command, I think we could be a consistent contender.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seabowl":1y9b3cbu said:
I mean this in a good way. Are todays Hawks and what John/Pete are building here, the NFL version of The U? Dominating performances, trash talking players that back up what they say, a coach that gets the most out of his players and that many people dislike, and just retooling when they lose players to free agency? Other than the Cowboys of the 90's I don't remember a team like this in the NFL and even the Cowboys lost their swagger soon after Jimmy left. IMO the closest thing to what the Hawks are doing now is comparing them to The U of the 80's/90's. Only time will tell if they can keep it going but with such a young group of players performing at such a high level this could be something the NFL has never seen before. I guess the Niners of the 80s and early 90s could also be considered too. Thoughts?
No offense, but don't ever compare them to that crap school again.

sc85sis

Reaction score
No. The Hawks are the NFL version of USC without Reggie Bush and his greedy (now ex) stepfather.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
USC with guys who can stick around for more than 4 years and can get paid legally.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would rather be compared to the 70's Raiders then that cesspool of a school.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":2gspxdea said:
I would rather be compared to the 70's Raiders then that cesspool of a school.
Actually, our style of play has some strong similarities. ;)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
He meant the UW right? The national champion UW team that would have wiped out Miami that year?

A

Anonymous

seabowl":3gnr824t said:

I live west of the Mississippi, so I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the "U".

:stirthepot:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1s8unsn2 said:
USC with guys who can stick around for more than 4 years and can get paid legally.
Guys weren't getting paid, except Reggie taking money from people in San Diego who weren't affiliated with the program.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Why would you compare a Pro team to a college team?

Terrible comparison. Early 2000's Pats is the much better answer.

randomation

Reaction score
sammyc521":1puximj4 said:

Early 2000s pats is a great comparison. It also fits the Brady vs Manning and Wilson vs Luck parallels that continues to develop. One guy puts up stupid stats though in Lucks case is also a turnover machine the other guy just wins ie Brady/Wilson. If anything Wilson is ahead of Brady in his development at this point.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
sammyc521":21mw7wnc said:

Not comparing the team but overall circumstances and make up. What "stars" other than Brady did the early 2000 Pats have? When I mean stars I'm talking long term pro bowl players like we have.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Miami never had consecutive National Championships.

Not only did Carroll win consecutive championships, he also had USC ranked in the Top 4 for seven-consecutive years. And they went 108-consecutive games without losing by more than a TD.