What play do you think turned the season around?

pehawk

Reaction score
For me its an easy one...Steven Hauschka's 58 yarder vs the Panthers.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":rfucjpvj said:

Probably one of the ones where Jamaal Charles knocked over and juked out 10 players on defense and then did jumping jacks over our prone bodies.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I'm still irritated that Pete sent out the FG team in that spot. That was his worst available option in that spot; both going for it or punting would have been better. Awesome job by Hauschka to bail him out though, and definitely a big play for the season.

Largent80

Reaction score
There isn't a single play. The combination of getting Wagner back and Kam being healthy at the same time obviously turned this defense into what it is right now.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":tbiovvu9 said:
I'm still irritated that Pete sent out the FG team in that spot. That was his worst available option in that spot; both going for it or punting would have been better. Awesome job by Hauschka to bail him out though, and definitely a big play for the season.
I'd love to hear the reasoning how going for it on 4th and 8 from the 40 is a better option....

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
A bag of sunflower seeds...

Edit: Fail, I missed the key word "play" in the title...

But I just don't see a single play this season turning our season around. I might actually say a big play (or two) against us might have turned our season around. See week 7 game at Ram's...

Reaction score
Because if you miss the field goal, the opposing team gets the ball at the 48 yard line. If you punt, or have an incomplete pass, or a pass or run short of the first down, the opposing team still would have the ball in worse field position than if you attempted and missed the field goal.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
RunTheBall":11jm4i0p said:
MidwestHawker":11jm4i0p said:
I'd love to hear the reasoning how going for it on 4th and 8 from the 40 is a better option....

4th and 8 gets converted at a 33% rate leaguewide, where a 58-yard FG is only converted at a 30% rate. So going for it succeeds a bit more often, is less detrimental when it fails (except in the case of a long sack), and leads to an overall higher point expectation for the drive.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2t6hh99r said:
RunTheBall":2t6hh99r said:
MidwestHawker":2t6hh99r said:

4th and 8 gets converted at a 33% rate leaguewide, where a 58-yard FG is only converted at a 30% rate. So going for it succeeds a bit more often, is less detrimental when it fails (except in the case of a long sack), and leads to an overall higher point expectation for the drive.
Hauschka is over 50% in 50+ yard FGs for his career.... so that should be factored too. Hauschka is a better kicker than league average by far.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3vs0rtda said:
Helfet's 20-yard TD against the Cards in Seattle.
For me, it wasn't that play, but that whole series. The 3rd offensive series of the third quarter of that first Cards game featured a short, rhythm passing game that had been absent all year. We were getting killed by sacks, until they finally took what the D was giving instead of dialing up play action attempts to hit huge plays.

McGruff

Reaction score
McGruff":23bihbfq said:
pehawk":23bihbfq said:

Probably one of the ones where Jamaal Charles knocked over and juked out 10 players on defense and then did jumping jacks over our prone bodies.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 6e6127f153

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... d346e6bb47

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... c7fb553266

I think our guys were so pissed at their performance after this game that it changed everything. This is when they got in each other's faces.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ beat me to it.

The final snap in KC. They decided they didn't want the feeling ever again--and so they won't allow it.

you realize we killed them in almost every measurable stat, save for points on the board? that was the moment.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2fcox8ro said:
HomerJHawk":2fcox8ro said:
Giving PH the boot up the a**.

On the field...a play, Sweetie.

Yes, I know Sparky. :D

PH's last play on the field. That or the play where he was supposed to be in, but decided he didn't want to.
Totally serious. Cut that cancer out, we healed, and we gel'd.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
RunTheBall":rmfh48tr said:
MidwestHawker":rmfh48tr said:
RunTheBall":rmfh48tr said:
MidwestHawker":rmfh48tr said:

Hauschka is over 50% in 50+ yard FGs for his career.... so that should be factored too. Hauschka is a better kicker than league average by far.

Fair, but look at leaguewide percentages on long kicks:
50 yards - 57%
51 yards - 55%
52 yards - 52%
53 yards - 50%
54 yards - 48%
55 yards - 45%
56 yards - 40%
57 yards - 35%
58 yards - 30%

Source: http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.co ... calculator

Not all 50+-yard FGs are created equally. A regular 50-yard FG is converted almost twice as often as the huge bomb that Pete asked Hauschka to hit in that spot; his ability to hit from 50 and his ability to hit from 58 are two different things, and he really doesn't have many attempts in his career from as long as that. It was a low-percentage kick.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1uc4764r said:
RunTheBall":1uc4764r said:
MidwestHawker":1uc4764r said:

Justifying going for it on 4th and 8 because league-wide statistics say it's 3% more likely to result in success lacks context (as with most stats), our offense wasn't showing a whole lot by that point, we'd had two drives that both resulted in three and outs.