Saturday game time

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With the game Saturday set to start around 5:15, does anyone think that this will also have an effect on Carolina. Even though the Seahawks have done better the last couple of years playing at 10:00 AM on the east coast, it is still a cross country trip playing at an early time.
Saturdays game will be a cross country trip for Carolina with them essentially playing at 8:15 PM their time. If an early morning game messes with players internal clocks and routines, what does a late night game do to them? I know when I was in my 20's 8:00-11:00 Saturday nights were spent with much more energy and enthusiasm than I exhibit now, but I wasn't a professional football player either.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Again the Panthers are 0-3 @Seattle but 14-9 all time on the west coast. The coaches, players, and maybe venue play a role, not the time zone or start time. JMO. If there's one lesson that may be learned from 2005 it would be to travel a day earlier. In 2005 they had a must win @ATL in week 17, then physical playoff games @NYG and @CHI, and traveled on Saturday before a Sunday game. Obviously they were shellacked, but who's to say how much that mattered. I believe even last year @SF they traveled two days before. I'm not an excuses guy and don't look for this as an advantage or excuse for either side. JMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2htuy902 said:
With the game Saturday set to start around 5:15, does anyone think that this will also have an effect on Carolina. Even though the Seahawks have done better the last couple of years playing at 10:00 AM on the east coast, it is still a cross country trip playing at an early time.
Saturdays game will be a cross country trip for Carolina with them essentially playing at 8:15 PM their time. If an early morning game messes with players internal clocks and routines, what does a late night game do to them? I know when I was in my 20's 8:00-11:00 Saturday nights were spent with much more energy and enthusiasm than I exhibit now, but I wasn't a professional football player either.

I don't see the time causing any issues with Carolina. Length of travel can cause minor issues, but it's a playoff game, so I don't see that really being an issue here.

The real issues that Carolina need to worry about are how well our defense is playing right now, and our HFA. Both of these things are likely to doom their appearance, moreso than the start time IMO.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2jhb1p1k said:

Far different circumstances. Far far different

Seafan

Reaction score
mikeak":bpbln7h7 said:
Players usually go to bed early so sure they will be tired....

:sarcasm_off:

Kam will be happy to help put them to bed.

sutz

Reaction score
blkhwk":2hla9uq8 said:
Start time with East coast vs. West coast team does matter. See the attachment (it is a deadspin article, but the reasearch is legit)

http://deadspin.com/5934440/the-circadi ... -nfl-teams
I just LOVE how they focus on the 'advantage' West Coast teams have on Monday night, but ignore the correlary, that East Coast teams have the advantage on Sunday morning.

:34853_doh:

mikeak

Reaction score
sutz":wc0967es said:
blkhwk":wc0967es said:
Start time with East coast vs. West coast team does matter. See the attachment (it is a deadspin article, but the reasearch is legit)

http://deadspin.com/5934440/the-circadi ... -nfl-teams
I just LOVE how they focus on the 'advantage' West Coast teams have on Monday night, but ignore the correlary, that East Coast teams have the advantage on Sunday morning.

:34853_doh:

Plenty of articles have been written about West Coast teams going East. Writing about one thing doesn't mean they ignore something else. Simply wasn't the subject of the article

AgentDib

Reaction score
West coast teams are very aware of how important travel and time zones are. From 2005-2012 the four west coast teams had to travel to the eastern timezone just over 100 times. In those games they were 44-57 against the spread. That's a significant difference that indicates disappointment more often than not - beyond what the line setters already expect based on team quality and game location.

It isn't a big deal to east coast teams or fan bases just because they don't have to deal with it as much, but the impact does apply to them also.