can Mebane return this year?

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Hi guys, apologies if this is a stupid question but do Seattle have the option to bring back one player for postseason who was placed on IR?

I was thinking Mebane could be fit for Superbowl and couldn't find info on the regulations regarding the one player being brought back.

Can we get anyone else back?

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Nope, we used our 1 designated for return on Jeremy Lane early in the season. No one else on IR was able to return but him at this point

SupersonicSeahawkz

Reaction score
We used lane as our one guy to return from IR. He was put on season ending IR, so Mebane is done.

getnasty

Reaction score
I love Bane but I think this might have been his last year as a Hawks. Of course maybe he'll restructure and we'll keep him around.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Mebane is very cheap for being a consistent and underrated Pro Bowl to All-Pro Defensive Tackle.

IMO, he's better than Knighton.

I can understand if Mebane had a significant lingering injury that he had to fight back from but his hammy should be good to go even before spring workouts.

Dude, will be back.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I think both Bane and Zach Miller are gone esp if we keep Marshawn around another season. We gotta extend Wilson, Wagner, Sweezy and possibly Bruce.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Its possible that Mebane gets cut but its highly doubtful that he will.

Right now the top three cut possibilities are:

1. Max Unger: Patrick Lewis is starting to look like he has a future, and the Seahawks can bring back Jeanpierre and Schilling on the cheap to compete as well as draft a body or two.

2. Zach Miller: Seahawks have Willson and Helfet (I believe) under contract, they could re-sign Moeaki on the cheap, as well as use a draft pick or two to the competition.

I think for these two players, its telling that the Seahawks were able to continue to win games without them.

3. Russell Okung: its hard to determine because the Seahawks don't have the OL depth you would like but at the same time Alvin Bailey has played solid both at LT and LG. If you move him up to starter status you are losing considerable depth on the left side. And while the Seahawks can save the most money by cutting Okung, his cap hit is pretty low for an LT these days. But he's also prone to injury and penalties that make his game inconsistent at times.

Mebane is a possibility. But after 2015 he's really your only true NT on the roster. Seahawks likely won't resign a 35 year old Kevin Williams.

And that means you're leaving the DT depth Tony McDaniel on the last year of his deal and Jordan Hill, who seems to injury proned at this point to be a full-time starter.

NTs like Brandon Mebane are hard to come by. And McDaniel is probably too tall to be the stout bowling ball they like. So it will be Jordan Hill at NT. Then its probably an undersized Cassius Marsh trying to take over for Hill's nickel DT role or someone else.

So I just don't see the logic of getting rid of Mebane... before he was I.R.'d, he was having a very dominant year, possibly his best year yet since becoming a NT.

You just don't cut guys who out-perform their contract on a consistent basis that are reasonably dependable.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1kk69sql said:
Its possible that Mebane gets cut but its highly doubtful that he will.

Right now the top three cut possibilities are:

1. Max Unger: Patrick Lewis is starting to look like he has a future, and the Seahawks can bring back Jeanpierre and Schilling on the cheap to compete as well as draft a body or two.

2. Zach Miller: Seahawks have Willson and Helfet (I believe) under contract, they could re-sign Moeaki on the cheap, as well as use a draft pick or two to the competition.

I think for these two players, its telling that the Seahawks were able to continue to win games without them.

3. Russell Okung: its hard to determine because the Seahawks don't have the OL depth you would like but at the same time Alvin Bailey has played solid both at LT and LG. If you move him up to starter status you are losing considerable depth on the left side. And while the Seahawks can save the most money by cutting Okung, his cap hit is pretty low for an LT these days. But he's also prone to injury and penalties that make his game inconsistent at times.

Mebane is a possibility. But after 2015 he's really your only true NT on the roster. Seahawks likely won't resign a 35 year old Kevin Williams.

And that means you're leaving the DT depth Tony McDaniel on the last year of his deal and Jordan Hill, who seems to injury proned at this point to be a full-time starter.

NTs like Brandon Mebane are hard to come by. And McDaniel is probably too tall to be the stout bowling ball they like. So it will be Jordan Hill at NT. Then its probably an undersized Cassius Marsh trying to take over for Hill's nickel DT role or someone else.

So I just don't see the logic of getting rid of Mebane... before he was I.R.'d, he was having a very dominant year, possibly his best year yet since becoming a NT.

You just don't cut guys who out-perform their contract on a consistent basis that are reasonably dependable.
Completely disagree with you about Unger. I know health is an issue but Lewis is nowhere near Unger. Would love to see the Hawks draft a guy that can play G and C.

Agree with you on Zach. He's gone IMO.

Disagree on Okung. Again an injury problem but 7 mil for a good LT is value.

Agree with you on Bane. Don't believe he'll be gone next year.

getnasty

Reaction score
Like i said i love Mebane but have we missed him since he left?

Jacknut16

Reaction score
getnasty":oeb4gy0m said:
Like i said i love Mebane but have we missed him since he left?

Just the over compensation defensive plays VS KC

AgentDib

Reaction score
It doesn't seem likely to me that any of the people mentioned here will be cut.

We're down to a three man interior rotation with Williams, Hill and McDaniel. Williams and D'Anthony Smith are UFAs and McDaniel has a cap hit of $3.5m next year with very little guaranteed money. Hill will still be making 750k rookie peanuts and Mebane's cap hit is only $5.7m.

TE is clearly a very important position to this coaching staff. We've had really bad injury luck here but Willson has not done enough in his time in the spotlight to show he is ready for the #1 job yet. Miller's $4m is probably still better than not having him.

Unger and Okung are a huge headache with their inability to stay healthy lately but I don't think the replacement for either is on our roster yet. Lewis is going to be competing over the backup spot with Schilling and Jean-Pierre, and Bailey is more likely a replacement for Carpenter than Okung.