Softy goes off on KNBR....again

irocdave

Reaction score
Say what you want about Dave Mahler but he is the voice of Seattle sports. I have always liked his home town passion and find get his humor. KNBR had him on last year and tried to trash him personally as well as the Hawks. Softy held his own and took several shots at the hosts for trying to ambush him and make fun of the Hawks. The hosts promised Softy he would be allowed back on if the Hawks won the NFCCG but reneged.

Softy was back on KNBR with the same guys and got his shots in at the end of the interview.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_ski ... &f=3677343

If you want to get right to the trash talk go to the last couple minutes of the interview.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
I don't get the hate for Softy, dude says and more importantly, believes what he says, same as the posters on this site. Difference is, he has the job / skill / ability to express himself on a national stage to the mediots we all bitch about. Where is the Softy hate coming from? Dude is the ultimate Seattle homer, just like most of the posters on this site.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Because he is an *ss. Or he acts like one.

Some weeks back, before the San Diego game, I was driving and decided to put on the station to see what was going on in sports.

Softy was on interviewing one of the guys from the San Diego station. That guy was gracious, complimenting the Seahawks and saying great things about the individual players. Softy, on the other hand, was mocking him for thinking they stood a chance, making fun of their QB and players (which means he doesn't know football since some of their players are very good), and generally coming off like a complete dbag for however long I was stuck listening to it.

After a while I turned it off, but if I was a fan of another team I would have been rooting against the Seahawks just on principle after that interview. I almost think he cursed us by acting like such an idiot.

It isn't like the Seahawks were some five year dynasty and they were playing the Raiders anyway. The bravado, insulting comments and just d*ckery (is that a word) was just one more instance of that guy going over the top. I doubt he really is that way, I have to assume it is just his character but man he makes Seattle look bad when he identifies himself from here.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Softy is the only good thing left on KJR. Like him or hate him, he has more passion for the local teams than any other local host.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
irocdave":209oc1y8 said:
I don't get the hate for Softy, dude says and more importantly, believes what he says, same as the posters on this site. Difference is, he has the job / skill / ability to express himself on a national stage to the mediots we all bitch about. Where is the Softy hate coming from? Dude is the ultimate Seattle homer, just like most of the posters on this site.

That's the reason I don't like him. He's no better than any average poster here. His thoughts are simple and he doesn't bring anything complex or too well thought out to the table. I never listen to softy and think "wow, I never thought of it like that," just "well, duh."

Plus, asking if he has to worry about getting stabbed was just plain trolling.

pehawk

Reaction score
Seahawks fans hate everybody, it's an insecurity thing. Plus, the only thing safer than being negative on a topic is abstinence.

A

Anonymous

TwistedHusky":1t2y9pzr said:
...d*ckery (is that a word?)...

Yes, yes it is:

"Hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock..."

drdiags

Reaction score
Softy wants to be like a John-Candy type of character. Funny how he said Holmgren should be shot for the game-plan the team used early in his time here. I guess they got past that. He is bombastic and more of a rah-rah guy. His antics with punking the Ducks at their practice a while back was buffoonery at its finest.

He has passion for the local teams but is quick to get out the torches if a team is not performing at all-world levels. I don't hate him but I do avoid him since I am not much of a College football fan, so I don't want to hear about the latest Husky drama.

Mitch is worse, because he is supposedly the voice of the informed and he poses questions to other national media that makes the region seem un-aware. I would cringe when he would state his info that was dated or mis-informed as the current knowledge of the fans in the area. Like he couldn't take the time to know some of the minutiae regarding player transactions or cap knowledge most here were aware of. He is more the loud-mouth, while Softy is just the lovable loser type guy.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I moved to Spokane so I didn't have to accidentally turn on the radio and hear idiot Mahler anymore. Best move I ever made.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1ejm57g2 said:
I moved to Spokane so I didn't have to accidentally turn on the radio and hear idiot Mahler anymore. Best move I ever made.

LOOK!!! THERE HE IS!!! BOLT HIS FEET TO THE FLOOR SO HE CAN'T SLIP AWAY AGAIN

Crowd running

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Man, the bar seems really high for some posters on this site. I find that ironic considering their posting history.

What is expected of local radio personalities. Lamestream mentality ( Dallass loving Gross??) or a local guy in between the lines of loyal home town guy / national potential guy Softy. Some of you of you guys are just dumb and we all know dumb cant be fixed. Cant decide what you like, just know everything you don't like which is everything. What do you expect from the local media?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
irocdave":3uf6jh10 said:
Man, the bar seems really high for some posters on this site. I find that ironic considering their posting history.

What is expected of local radio personalities. Lamestream mentality ( Dallass loving Gross??) or a local guy in between the lines of loyal home town guy / national potential guy Softy. Some of you of you guys are just dumb and we all know dumb cant be fixed. Cant decide what you like, just know everything you don't like which is everything. What do you expect from the local media?

I can hardly process the bolded being set out in a post DEFENDING Softy.

Softy is incredibly dumb. And to be clear: I can handle dumb. I find Mitch in the Morning to be very entertaining, and it's certainly not because of his high sports IQ. Softy's level of dumb isn't as entertaining, though he's alright and I'll still listen to him at times; his enthusiasm for our overlapping teams is pretty infectious, even if his insistence on being a superstitious twit is irritating.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
By the way, I like how OP starts with "say what you want about Dave Mahler," and then people say what they want about Dave Mahler, and then OP gets mad.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Softy at all, he is a fanboy that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Calls everyone 'pal', doesn't provide any great analysis, and asks very simple questions. I do like Ian as he comes across as quite intelligent and articulate and is very measured, and I am okay with Mitch though he takes forever to spit out his questions.

ESPN Seattle, I like most of them; except for Groz.

Captain

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that 950 and 710 always seems to go to commercials at the same time? That cant be a coincidence can it?

I always try to switch to the other one when there is a commercial but lo and behold they are both commercials at the same freaking time!! And its like 5-7 minutes of commercials too. Dont got time for that!

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2w7eg9y6 said:
irocdave":2w7eg9y6 said:

I can hardly process the bolded being set out in a post DEFENDING Softy.

Softy is incredibly dumb. And to be clear: I can handle dumb. I find Mitch in the Morning to be very entertaining, and it's certainly not because of his high sports IQ. Softy's level of dumb isn't as entertaining, though he's alright and I'll still listen to him at times; his enthusiasm for our overlapping teams is pretty infectious, even if his insistence on being a superstitious twit is irritating.

Lol, you find Mitch entertaining but not Softy. Says a lot about you. Since I seem to be alone on defending Softy I choose your response to make a point. People that like Mitch are not interested in facts and have time to burn. They like a looooong story that takes a half an our to get to the point. I have hated Mitch since day one. He drags out anything worth while to listen to for an hour so that he gets ratings. Dude cannot get to the point quickly if his life depended on it. If your a fan of Mitch you are not a Seattle fan. I know people that are in the inner circle of Balmer, Mitch is a hanger own. Just has he has been since day one in Seattle.

Softy is Seattle. WTF is with the hate for this guy. I'm sure I can pull up much more stupid shit for each poster than Softy has said on the radio.

What gives?