Softy goes off on KNBR....again

seahawks08

Reaction score
Softy rocks, love his passion and love his interviews, never politically correct or puts on any filters.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
irocdave":1h0uz5gi said:
Lol, you find Mitch entertaining but not Softy. Says a lot about you.

...I would suggest that the fact that you take differing opinions about radio hosts so personally says much more about you.

People that like Mitch are not interested in facts and have time to burn. They like a looooong story that takes a half an our to get to the point.

With regard to "not interested in facts": correct, I guess. Not exactly how I would put it, but I think I know what you mean. And that's something I said up front: I don't learn a damn thing from Mitch, and he's not very bright when it comes to sports, but as a matter of personal taste I do think that he's funny and a good entertainer, and I think there's room for that in sports radio as long as all of the posts aren't filling that same niche. I'll turn to Mitch for entertainment and to Brock & Salk and Michael Grey for good discussion.

With regard to "have time to burn": umm, I don't time itself actually changes from one show to the next.

If your a fan of Mitch you are not a Seattle fan.

ChYIPez

Softy is Seattle. WTF is with the hate for this guy. I'm sure I can pull up much more stupid shit for each poster than Softy has said on the radio.

What gives?

I mean, a bunch of people have answered this question already, though apparently it hasn't satisfied you and instead has for whatever reason angered you.

Softy is dumb and brings zero to the table in terms of analysis. He openly betrays himself as anti-intellectual on an almost constant basis. His usefulness, for what it is, is attempting to be entertaining via being a blowhard cheerleader. And as I said, sometimes I'll listen to him in the wake of a win or whatever, because he fits the bill of someone worth celebrating with.

I don't think that he's the worst host in Seattle by any means; I'd rather listen to him than Bob & Groz or Danny O'Neil & Jim Moore (I'm okay with Wyman, but he doesn't overpower those other two). Sure, when I listen to him I realize that I'm listening to a muppet with no original thoughts, but he has pretty good presence and charisma and isn't completely unlistenable.

When it comes to picking between dumber hosts like Softy and Mitch, it's really not rational to take the debate personally; it's all about subjective taste at that point. I think that Mitch's comic instincts are better myself, but to each their own. Obviously pretending that either man is smart when it comes to sports would be absurd, so it's just about who people like better for entertainment purposes.

Hawks46

Reaction score
irocdave":2adftfqz said:
Man, the bar seems really high for some posters on this site. I find that ironic considering their posting history.

What is expected of local radio personalities. Lamestream mentality ( Dallass loving Gross??) or a local guy in between the lines of loyal home town guy / national potential guy Softy. Some of you of you guys are just dumb and we all know dumb cant be fixed. Cant decide what you like, just know everything you don't like which is everything. What do you expect from the local media?

That's an incredibly ironic statement in defending Softy Mahler (some of you guys are dumb). Have you been on the streets and actually talked to anyone lately ? The average person is actually fairly unintelligent. Don't believe me ? Just look at politics and voting records.

The reason Softy isn't my favorite is that he's the average sports fan. You like his passion, but if I wanted to talk to the average homer, I'll go to a bar and have a beer when I'm doing it. I don't listen to sports radio for validation, I listen to it for insightful analysis and maybe get a few facts that I don't have time to look for myself. Yes, that's an opinion and the next guy probably likes the over the top homer antics of a guy like Softy. Obviously you do, but I wouldn't go insulting a bunch of people on this site because of disagreeing opinions.

seahawksny

Reaction score
I didn't listen to clip and maybe he will explain on the clip, but why does he refuse to call them San Francisco and only Santa Clara

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seahawksny":1ptpfpte said:
I didn't listen to clip and maybe he will explain on the clip, but why does he refuse to call them San Francisco and only Santa Clara

It's a thing with all of the hosts at KJR. I don't understand why myself, but it's not exclusive to him.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I find it incredibly ironic that the guy loving on DAVE softy Mahler has the handle irocDAVE.

I know softy posts on dawgman, looks like has a .net account as well.

Hi Dave.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
I can't stand Mitch from living in Seattle, moved to Vancouver and the PDX station picked him up. I think he lasted maybe 2 months, before being dropped?

Softy is ok in small doses.

Brock and Salk are the best.

I have tried, but just can't get into Michael Grey/Gray.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seahawk 17":24zg6j83 said:
I can't stand Mitch from living in Seattle, moved to Vancouver and the PDX station picked him up. I think he lasted maybe 2 months, before being dropped?

Softy is ok in small doses.

Brock and Salk are the best.

I have tried, but just can't get into Michael Grey/Gray.

Definitely agree on Brock and Salk being great. I like Michael Grey as well.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
Softy is the immature frat boy character who does impressions and laughs at fart jokes. Its just an act.

Mitch is the guy that yearns for radio greatness. He wants to be Larry King, Bob Costas and Steve Martin all at once. Nothing pleases Mitch more than telling some nostalgic tale of his dad taking him to MSG a hundred years ago and constantly reminding us that he's an east coast guy. He's also waaay too long-winded. His interview questions are like a minute long, as if he's just showing off.

For my money the best show on KJR is Furness and Puckett. They just seem like really nice, laid back guys who spend the majority of the show actually debating sports issues.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SeahawksForever":3d2bjytq said:
Softy is the immature frat boy character who does impressions and laughs at fart jokes. Its just an act.

Mitch is the guy that yearns for radio greatness. He wants to be Larry King, Bob Costas and Steve Martin all at once. Nothing pleases Mitch more than telling some nostalgic tale of his dad taking him to MSG a hundred years ago and constantly reminding us that he's an east coast guy. He's also waaay too long-winded. His interview questions are like a minute long, as if he's just showing off.

For my money the best show on KJR is Furness and Puckett. They just seem like really nice, laid back guys who spend the majority of the show actually debating sports issues.

Brock Huard is the only one I feel like I learn anything from on radio. The other dude on with him (Salk) must be a good setup man because he arranges it so Brock can make his points and make the listener feel like you understand what's going on at the level of player talent and scheme, and even specific plays*. I confess I only really notice and pay attention to what Brock says. Granted, I don't listen to radio very much these days.

I have listened to bits and pieces of Ian Furness's show and find him worth a listen most of the time too. Always loved the whole "Overreaction Monday" setup theme to his Monday show, giving all the knee-jerk reactionists a license (Tokadub would be a .NET overreaction poster child) to let it all hang out. Not criticizing, that stuff can be entertaining, amusing and even thought provoking at times.

* Though as others pointed out, nobody but Pete, the coaches, and players really knows what was intended on a given play that didn't work, and whether it was a bad scheme, player talent/execution failure, or just the wrong play for the situation.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Softy's a screamer.

Screamers rub me the wrong way.

Just talk normally and I'll listen.

Scream, and I'll shut you out.

Latest posts