Seattle Seahawks rediscover their swagger in win vs. Arizona

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-rediscover-their-swagger-in-win-vs-cardinals

And if it turns out that this pivotal performance is the start of a true renaissance -- and, perhaps, the start of another assault on a championship -- let the record show that the seeds of resurgence were sown in a walk-through last Thursday at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center.

Literally.

During an otherwise mundane indoor practice session, All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas noticed some of the team's defensive linemen sharing sunflower seeds -- and brought the thunder for all to hear. Viewing the seeds as a sign of insufficient focus, Thomas began admonishing a couple of much larger teammates, and soon he was face to face with several defensive linemen, some of whom were similarly expressive.

The argument escalated, devolving into a referendum concerning each unit's performance in recent weeks, as the Seahawks slipped to 6-4 and fell three games behind the Cardinals in the division standings. The talk got real, and then it got productive -- and, in the end, Thomas and his fellow defenders ended up in a better mental place.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Ahhh, the age old argument of BBQ vs Salsa, forever dividing locker rooms

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was my deciding factor for being able to beat the Cardinals. We needed our swagger/physicality back and it was evident in bunches yesterday. They need to sustain it to make the post season.

Thursday is HUGE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Desperation and pride are powerful motivators.

These are two things that carried us through most of last year, and I think sustaining that level of motivation after winning the SB was impossible up until now.

But now? I think this version of the Seahawks loves being doubted and hated on, so the motivation to prove the haters wrong is strong enough to play to our full potential down the stretch.

Enough to get into the playoffs? Not sure, but it'll be close.

StoneCold

Reaction score
The team is gellin'
The fans were yellin'
Seahawk football
played like a felon.

Great game yesterday and I Love this article. Hope the attitude carries over through the rest of the season. Gonna be fun.

SC

Hawks46

Reaction score
Evidently there WAS something to the whole "it's harder to maintain focus and motivation after a SB win".

I hope it's finally wearing off. We were a different team last year, but it had a lot to do with us being the hungrier team almost every week. This year, I haven't seen that outside of some big games.

In retrospect, there is a common theme here. Look at the teams last year: teams like the Rams (although that was a matchup issue on the line, IMO), the Bucs, etc. We don't get up for the teams we should handily beat. Look at this year: we're losing to a lot of teams deemed inferior, but we handily beat the Broncos and Packers, and now the Cards.

Our guys get up for bigger games. We play down to our competition. Hopefully, all of our games will be considered "bigger" games this year. I'm confident we're bringing it against SF.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
What a huge win biggest of the year , I was not here was on the road business trip , heard the game on the radio driving to the airport , I think this is the way the hawks are going to win games this year, this has got to be a big confidence booster for this team hopefully this win gets our team on a big winning streak

GO HAWKS

drdiags

Reaction score
It sounds good coming after a win. But seems like a bunch of talk to me. I heard something similar after the Chargers game, then next thing you know the team is trading Harvin.

I am going to keep my skeptic hat on. I hope what ever they felt was messing up their vibe is over but resentment is an easy fire to re-start. Part of success I gather.

mikeak

Reaction score
sc85sis":1197dcep said:
Earl mentioned in his post game interview that Pete met one-on-one with the leader of each position group and then spoke at the team meeting and told them they needed to regain that connection and trust in each other.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19464259/

Interesting that this aligns with PC getting up on the podium and finally addressing the Lynch rumors. PC apparently realized that he needed to do his part to get unison and the team back together.

Scotemojo - yes this tied into Lynch hopefully you don't perceive it as negative.....