Holmgren, Knox, Alexander miss Hall of Fame cut

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seaha...er-miss-hall-of-fame-cut-mawae-james-make-it/

The Pro Football Hall of Fame pared its list of finalists tonight for the Class of 2015 from 125 to 26, and among those not making the cut were former Seahawks coaches Mike Holmgren and Chuck Knox and running back Shaun Alexander.

Among those who did make it were two players who had stints with the Seahawks — center Kevin Mawae and running back Edgerrin James

ivotuk

Reaction score
Edgerrin James? Sorry but I don't see how he gets more recognition than Shaun Alexander. James is not a HOF RB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":2zraafy0 said:
Edgerrin James? Sorry but I don't see how he gets more recognition than Shaun Alexander. James is not a HOF RB.

James is #11 all time, and Alexander is #32.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... career.htm

I am surprised about Holmgren, he's #17 all time with a SB win and widely respected by everyone in the league.......also more wins than many coaches already in the hall like Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Hank Stram and Chuck Knoll.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
James played with the forehead.

Also his number trump Alexander by quite a lot.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":28nmyssh said:
ivotuk":28nmyssh said:

NEVER FORGET

Edgerrin James 2009

I remember being intrigued by this signing when we got him...only to be let down by the version we got.

Man those were tough times.

Jiggy

Reaction score
Holmy didn't get in because there is still a chance he returns to the NFL. Otherwise he would have definitely been in this year.

Hell, his footprint on the NFL made him a candidate years ago.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11877ia4 said:
ivotuk":11877ia4 said:

I am surprised about Holmgren, he's #17 all time with a SB win and widely respected by everyone in the league.......also more wins than many coaches already in the hall like Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Hank Stram and Chuck Knoll.

Alexander is 7th and Edge 19th??? Oh I see, you meant in yards! I could have sworn TDs won games, not yards.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":17c4sxdc said:
Sgt. Largent":17c4sxdc said:
ivotuk":17c4sxdc said:

Alexander is 7th and Edge 19th??? Oh I see, you meant in yards! I could have sworn TDs won games, not yards.

Yes, yards..........the most widely accepted barometer for measuring RB's in the NFL, in yards per season and career. If they used TD's, then you'd have guys like Priest Holmes, Otis Anderson and Corey Dillion in the hall.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wnepmqwh said:
ivotuk":wnepmqwh said:

As to Alexander it goes to show you that yards means more than Rushing TDs and total TDs both of which Alexander is top 10 in and way ahead of James. James did play longer than Alexander.

Interestingly James has more rushing yards, and Attempts than Alexander. But Alexander has a hgher Avg, TDs, Less fumbles. Intersting.

James never won the MVP, led the league in rushing or TDs, Never won OPY.

Like Holmgren, Alexander also has other RBs already in the HOF beat in several categories liks yards, tds, etc

Interesting, We now know that yards is what is most important, which means Alexander may never get in, which is fine as I am not sure he should be but I am also not sure James should be either. I am also suprised by Holmgrennot making it. Maybe it is a first ballot thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":3rs60xk3 said:
Interesting, We now know that yards is what is most important, which means Alexander may never get in, which is fine as I am not sure he should be but I am also not sure James should be either. I am also suprised by Holmgrennot making it. Maybe it is a first ballot thing.

Yeah just because James made it through doesn't mean he's getting in.

But IMO there is something to be said for longevity and remaining productive, especially in the NFL. I mean no one would say that Emmitt Smith is the greatest RB of all time, but the dude played for 14 years, and was extremely productive for most of those years.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xh0qfac said:
themunn":1xh0qfac said:
Sgt. Largent":1xh0qfac said:
ivotuk":1xh0qfac said:

And yet 8/10 career rushing td leaders are in already, ladanian Tomlinson will be first ballot... Leaving just Shaun

Yes, yards..........the most widely accepted barometer for measuring RB's in the NFL, in yards per season and career. If they used TD's, then you'd have guys like Priest Holmes, Otis Anderson and Corey Dillion in the hall.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jiggy":2xr122ov said:
Holmy didn't get in because there is still a chance he returns to the NFL. Otherwise he would have definitely been in this year.

Hell, his footprint on the NFL made him a candidate years ago.
Hope you're right cuz he definitely should get in.
IMO, neither Alexander or James are HOF worthy.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
ivotuk":35x95p6c said:

He had a better career than SA.....just look at the stats. Opinions/bias lie....stats don't.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
If Holmgren or Alexander were to get in I would call it the Hall of good. They were good .... but not great.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Anthony!":2shzzx78 said:
Sgt. Largent":2shzzx78 said:
ivotuk":2shzzx78 said:

As to Alexander it goes to show you that yards means more than Rushing TDs and total TDs both of which Alexander is top 10 in and way ahead of James. James did play longer than Alexander.

Interestingly James has more rushing yards, and Attempts than Alexander. But Alexander has a hgher Avg, TDs, Less fumbles. Intersting.

James never won the MVP, led the league in rushing or TDs, Never won OPY.

Like Holmgren, Alexander also has other RBs already in the HOF beat in several categories liks yards, tds, etc

James gave most plays everything he had... even when the endzone wasn't involved.