Dumbrabbit's game grades and thoughts

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Probably only be a one-time thing,unless people want more, but I thought I'd post it this weekend since I saw the whole game.

Went to my first Seahawks game in a long time, and I loved. So much fun to be able to finally see my Seahawks live. The crowd was amazing. People stood up every time the Hawks were on D and it was just a great atmosphere.

Passing Offense: C
Wilson made good decisions but Giants's D had good coverage. Probably not his entire fault. However the mark of a championship team is making up for some poor plays made, And Wilson redeemed himself. The offensive line looked so much better with Okung and Unger back, both looked so much better and more in sync than the backups were. Too bad Luke Willson got injured, hopefully it's not too long, he's an underapreciated talent in the Seahawks' offense, already without McCoy for the whole year.

Rushing Offense: A.

What more can I say? The stat lines speak for themselves. Lynch had 4 TD's and Michael(Who I think is so hugely undervalued by Pete Carroll along with the 12's) had another TD too. The Seahawks are the first team with over 300 yards and 5 TD's rushing since the 1978(I believe) Buffalo Bills. It's simple: when they run, they win. Don't ever move away from that philosophy. It also helps to have the offensive line back, they know how to open holes for Marshawn Lynch to run through. Guy just never gives up.

Passing Defense: C

Our coverage was poor at best. The last couple Giants drives were great, but overall so much poor coverage that Manning was able to get a lot of yards on offense through passing. My favorite play was Sherman and Earl's tip drill, which is why the grade is a B. Man that was sick. Ranks right up there in the list of Seahawks's best plays in the 2014 season. I've always viewed Jeron Johnson as one of the best safety backups in the league. Tonight he proved why. He led the team in tackles. Michael Bennett needs to settle down, a stupid penalty we didn't need, actually we had more unsportsmanlike conducts that we did not need, which is why the grade is so low, but fortunately it didn't effect the final outcome. Unfortunately the pass defense made Beckham Jr look like a star today, which is another reason why the grade is a C

Rushing Defense: ?

Honestly I didn't really pay attention to this so I can't really give a grade, so I'll leave it to a question mark for you all to decide.

Special Teams: A

Hauschka was money today. Pretty much all kickoffs were touchbacks, all PATs made and a FG at halftime, which is gonna make my fantasy team look good today. Jon Ryan had 1 punt for 48 yards, so I can't really judge him on one punt.

Coaching: B

Pete's challenge was my favorite call of the day on Manning's completion early on. He used the right group of RBs and gave Lynch rest when he needed it, and Turbin and Michael were great on backup duty. The offensive-line got healthy which showed this week. I might get ridiculed for saying this, but this offensive line can be top-10 when entirely healthy. I really do believe it. Unger makes the biggest difference in the world, he's so much more better than Schilling(Not a knock on him). Bevell called a really good game on offense. I disagreed with some of the calls when we were inside the 5 yard line. I gave the coaching unit a B because the defense is still playing too loose coverage. That's not what Seahawks football is. Seahawks football is tight coverage not allowing any WRs chances to catch. That needs to change immediately. But I still give Quinn's D props for holding the Giants to 17 points and shutting them out in the 2nd half. Really impressive considering we could have been routed if Marshawn didn't have his big day and the defense didn't play tighter coverage.

In the NFL, any win is a good win and the Seahawks are 6-3. Really damn impressive considering how banged up we are . This is the mark of a championship football team, and if this team plays Seahawks football, I really think we'll be watching this team in February.

Go Hawks. What an amazing game, had so much fun.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. It has always been hard for me to objectively watch and grade the different aspects in a game. I get too emotional. I catch little bits and plays here and there. The game seems to be over in 30 minutes.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
marko358":3tscbx6t said:
Michael didn't get that last rushing TD. It was Dangeruss.

My bad. Looked like it was Michael. But we were high up in the stadium so I assumed it was Michael. Nevertheless I still thought he had a good game, despite the limited carries he got.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
morgulon1":50108v43 said:
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. It has always been hard for me to objectively watch and grade the different aspects in a game. I get too emotional. I catch little bits and plays here and there. The game seems to be over in 30 minutes.

So true. Football games fly by so much quicker than basketball and baseball games. We were just there to enjoy the game - it was my HS graduation gift from my parents and I just enjoyed it. So I thought I'd do a write-up of my thoughts on the stuff I remember(I remembered quite a bit actually, it's just the Run Defense I didn't pay much attention to)

gargantual

Reaction score
morgulon1":30d5lb0x said:
I get too emotional. I catch little bits and plays here and there.

I can really relate to this! It's hard not to get riled up when loving our CHAMPIONSHIP team so much! (It's still so amazing to be able to say that!!!).

Nice job DR. Sure do appreciate the comprehensive write up.

One thing that tempers enthusiasm a bit is hearing that the Giants' run D has sucked this year. At the start of the year I was skeptical about the whole "Teams putting up their A game playing the defending Champs", but that phenomenon sure feels legit now. I think the Giants went all out for this one, it really felt like they came out swinging and didn't let up the entire game. Plus having most of "the band" back together (Unger, Okung) really turbocharged our run game. It also massively boosted my confidence in Michael after him peeling off such thrilling runs today (that boy can run!).

I still want Lynch locked in for at least a 2 year extension (that would be for '16 and '17 I believe).

Look forward to your posts in the future.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Run Defense was outstanding. We completely shut down their running game and held their RBs to 15 carries for 43 yards (2.7 YPC). It should have been outstanding, though, since they were playing backups.

Our pass defense was much better than our pass offense. We had pretty good coverage on the completions down field and the pick was a huge turning point in the game. On the other hand, while it was nice to get a couple of explosive plays out of the passing game it just was not consistent and was heavily skewed by the two long completions to Kearse and Helfet. The other 14 WR targets were significantly less successful at only 4.0 YPA average and two INTs. Some of that boom/bust is inherent in passing the football but it is hard to put together long drives without having consistency.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I didn't watch intently but I noticed the run blocking was phenomenal at times today. Gotta wonder if that is at least partially due to Unger's return.

lobohawk

Reaction score
While I appreciate the run game and better blocking, the Giant's D had something to do with it. They sucked at stopping the run and being disciplined. Gashed on the read-option.

Not to be a debbie downer, but we shouldn't over value the run game's performance and say, "see that's easy, if you do it." It's always situational, depending on your opponent. Heck in the Super Bowl, Denver stuffed our running attack.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Going to a game at CLink is an experience everyone should treat themselves to at least once a year. My only regret is that they've made it so damn expensive that it's a huge strain on the budget of a typical family of 4.

As far as your grades go, I'd give our first half passing offense an F. Russell threw two picks, and both were on him. I guess you can't blame him too much because he's been accused by some of us, including Yours Truly, of holding onto the ball too long and not being willing to accept some risks. Nevertheless, it was a sorry performance, and was responsible for letting an inferior team hang with us early. Overall I'd give the passing offense a D. With QB ratings in the low 50's, 0 TD's and 2 INT's and two sacks in just 17 passing attempts, I can't see how it could be judged as acceptable, which is what a C implies.

I agree with everything else, though.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
razgriz737":10485se9 said:
I didn't watch intently but I noticed the run blocking was phenomenal at times today. Gotta wonder if that is at least partially due to Unger's return.

PFF gave Unger an astronomical 4.8 run-blocking grade. It was the 2nd highest run-blocking of any player in week ten.

Most of the pressure was coming from the right side of the line.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts.

As far as Luke Willson, I think he is an appropriately appreciated talent. :D

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
Pass defense wasn't that bad, little brother made some frickin perfect throws. Bastard does that sometimes. Patriots can vouch for that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Eli got lucky with some dime throws to Beckham early on. The Seahawks switched to zone after that, and Eli was a lot less comfortable very quickly. Eli's last attempt to connect with Beckham deep was the Sherman tip drill, and it was the end of the Giants' scoring. Throw in a bananas PBU by Maxwell late in the game, and I'd give the pass defense a B-. Pass rush wasn't there consistently.

Latest posts