Ryan Shazier

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not a real fan of his. On tape, he doesn't really bring the physicality at LB. Seems easily erased from the field.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Agree with Attyla on this one. Seems to be a non factor throughout most of games. If you are looking at the OLB direction, a guy I would rather have considering he should be there in the 4th round or so is Kevin Pierre-Louis from Boston College. Flies around the field on tape, very smooth in coverage. Could see him being an immediate special teams impact player and future starter at Will. Combine numbers are somewhat comparable to Shazier too: 4.51 (official) 39" vert, 6.92 shuttle as compared to Shazier's 6.91, 128 broad as opposed to Shazier's 130.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
pcbball12":2kw3bigu said:
Agree with Attyla on this one. Seems to be a non factor throughout most of games. If you are looking at the OLB direction, a guy I would rather have considering he should be there in the 4th round or so is Kevin Pierre-Louis from Boston College. Flies around the field on tape, very smooth in coverage. Could see him being an immediate special teams impact player and future starter at Will. Combine numbers are somewhat comparable to Shazier too: 4.51 (official) 39" vert, 6.92 shuttle as compared to Shazier's 6.91, 128 broad as opposed to Shazier's 130.

That article I linked said he had 143 tackles including 22 TFL. I don't know that that's a non-factor. I'm not saying we should necessarily grab him, but he's obviously an insane athlete.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I hadn't seen his stats, just going by what I saw from watching 5 of his games. Wasn't an impact player on the field like he should have been given his athleticism. Upside is there, just thought he lacked great instincts and as Attlyla said the physicality and/or aggression.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Gets caught in traffic to easily.

You can protect him in scheme, but he has to do a better job there.

But in terms of pure athleticism, he's a top-20 guy. Someone should take a chance on him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I should echo Rob's point on scheme protection.

For Seattle, he would be a candidate for our WLB. That position is a protected LB spot that values speed and tackling. In space or unmolested, Shazier is an excellent product.

He looks faster than Alec Ogletree did last year. Actually, I'd see him as a pretty decent approximation of Ogletree as far as his college tape goes. Ogletree was often washed out of plays and frequently tried to run around blockers rather than take them head on. Shazier does have excellent speed and does fill holes aggressively if he's unaccounted for. Put a hat on him though and he's cooked.

He clearly has the speed component that Seattle requires of it's LB corps. And it probably wouldn't be a stretch if Shazier wouldn't be the fastest LB on our roster if we picked him.

Ogletree looked outstanding dropping back into coverage. Better than Shazier by a good margin. Shazier doesn't look aware when he drops back. Could be coachable. Or could be he has no feel for it at all.

Not sure we're looking at LB until day 3 though. Still I'd concede he fits our scheme and profile well. But I don't see us taking him at 32 and he won't be there at 64.

McGruff

Reaction score
Shazier reminds me a lot of Malcolm Smith coming out of college.

randomation

Reaction score
Borland > Shazier but doesn't have the speed and size Seattle would want unfortunately :(

kearly

Reaction score
143 tackles, 22.5 TFL last season in the Big 10. Similar measurables to Lavonte David. Haven't watched Shazier yet, but in terms of his numbers, he's in good company.

That reminds me, I'm still annoyed that we passed on Lavonte David twice in the 2nd round. He was a stud that you could see coming a mile away.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I loved David's tape though and am left unimpressed with Shazier's. I do see the potential/appeal though. I'm with you on passing on him, complete stud and it was clear from his tape.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
JS/Pete love a good SPARQ rating. This guy definitely has that.

pcbball12

Reaction score
So did Zack Brown a few years ago, yet JS/PC didn't bite on that one, and we actually had a need at that time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":22hw4k95 said:
143 tackles, 22.5 TFL last season in the Big 10. Similar measurables to Lavonte David. Haven't watched Shazier yet, but in terms of his numbers, he's in good company.

That reminds me, I'm still annoyed that we passed on Lavonte David twice in the 2nd round. He was a stud that you could see coming a mile away.

So was Kendricks and Wagner. David is a good linebacker too. But I don't know that he's necessarily better than Wagner. He'll have better statistics, but that defense is on the field more than ours.

Was a deep LB pool that year. Lots of good players. Although I have to admit, I didn't really look at Bobby Wagner much that year. Figured we played a bit of prospect roulette hoping for Kendricks to drop and Philly took him.

Was the second time they took the player I was hoping for that draft.

Back on point, Shazier didn't have a lot of feast/famine to his stat line. Pretty evenly productive throughout the year. Wisconsin game was his best IMO.