Scott Crichton DE - 6'3" 265 lbs.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
This guy is a Seahawks type of player to his core. High character, incredibly hard worker, business-like approach to his game and preparation, and already has a chip on his shoulder from his high school recruitment days. Good article on him and his reasoning for coming out of college early here: http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 24xml.html

Profile here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... t-crichton

STRENGTHS: Possesses a well-built frame with good overall musculature. Times the snap well, showing good initial quickness off the ball to cross the face of offensive tackles. He uses his hands very well, frequently chopping and ripping through opponents' attempts to latch onto him and possesses good core strength, showing the ability to simply bull-rush would-be blockers into the pocket. Holds up well in the running game, showing the power to anchor, as well as lateral agility and balance to string plays out to the sideline. Good strength in his hands to grab hold of ball-carriers for the drag-down tackle. High-revving motor. Pursues laterally and downfield with passion. Time in the weight room has been obvious, as Crichton has added over 30 pounds to his frame since his high school days.

WEAKNESSES: While possessing an impressive build, Crichton's physique does not lend itself well to flexibility, however, making him a bit stiff when changing directions. Further, he does not possess ideal straight-line speed for the position and relies more on anticipation rather than closing speed to track down ball-carriers. As such, Crichton is limited to the schemes and roles in which he's likely to be successful in the NFL. - Rob Rang

NFL Comparison: Michael Bennett (Scott makes this comparison himself)

I would be very content if Schneider/Carroll tapped him in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

Ideally, I'd like to see him slide through the 2nd round and allow us the opportunity to draft him there, but his hunger, focus, work ethic, and production lead me to believe he'll only continue to move up after his pro day and as we near the draft. Depending on how the 1st round plays out however, I could envision a scenario where we trade back into the early 2nd round, add a pick or two and grab Crichton.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
There are plenty of prospects I'd rather have at 32 and 64.

I like Crichton too. If we had a third that'd be nice. The reality will be, that we will likely have already committed the money for Bennett early in UFA signing period. Avril and Bennett are our two ends. Add Scruggs and Mayowa and there's your depth.

We could always still draft another DE pass rusher. But if you are building a team, you can't continue to completely ignore the rest of your club and commit all or most of your draft stock (Irvin) or free agent dollars to the same position.

If, as it seems likely, we will have close to 20 million committed to Avril and Bennett, we have to look elsewhere to add cheap talent. And we have to really start looking at not resigning good players when their rookie deals expire (Wright/Wagner/Carpenter/Maxwell/Irvin). If we're looking at paying 10+ to Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Bennett/Okung/Harvin -- then we're not paying 6+ million for our LBs or our second corner.

Seattle is going to have to start looking at impact talent to replace the rookie deal impact talent we have. Across the board. I don't see Crichton as valuable as say, a Christian Kirksey as a future LB replacement. Both players similarly graded overall. Also, there should be good value in the late day 2/day 3 range for DB. You know we're taking an OL/LB/DB/DL player somewhere along these lines. Crichton seems a bit too expensive on the draft stock cost relative to what's behind him. DE seems a position where we can get good developmental value later from a prospect we go 'who the heck is that'.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I get the local kid aspect of this equation, but besides having a chip on his shoulder, he just physically isn't a Seahawks type of prospect. He's a good player, but I'm kind of failing to see how he fits in on this defense. This FO seems to prefer guys with a singular rare gift over guys who are pretty good at a lot of things.

At 64, I would be fine with Crichton, but I'm failing to see him as a 1st round option for Seattle. Just my .02, but he just doesn't physically strike me a guy the Hawks spend premium draft capital on.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":gxbt49vs said:
There are plenty of prospects I'd rather have at 32 and 64.

I like Crichton too. If we had a third that'd be nice. The reality will be, that we will likely have already committed the money for Bennett early in UFA signing period. Avril and Bennett are our two ends. Add Scruggs and Mayowa and there's your depth.

We could always still draft another DE pass rusher. But if you are building a team, you can't continue to completely ignore the rest of your club and commit all or most of your draft stock (Irvin) or free agent dollars to the same position.

If, as it seems likely, we will have close to 20 million committed to Avril and Bennett, we have to look elsewhere to add cheap talent. And we have to really start looking at not resigning good players when their rookie deals expire (Wright/Wagner/Carpenter/Maxwell/Irvin). If we're looking at paying 10+ to Sherman/Thomas/Wilson/Bennett/Okung/Harvin -- then we're not paying 6+ million for our LBs or our second corner.

Seattle is going to have to start looking at impact talent to replace the rookie deal impact talent we have. Across the board. I don't see Crichton as valuable as say, a Christian Kirksey as a future LB replacement. Both players similarly graded overall. Also, there should be good value in the late day 2/day 3 range for DB. You know we're taking an OL/LB/DB/DL player somewhere along these lines. Crichton seems a bit too expensive on the draft stock cost relative to what's behind him. DE seems a position where we can get good developmental value later from a prospect we go 'who the heck is that'.

Great analysis. I'm convinced. The Hawks seemed to be trending towards a wideout and an OT with the first two picks if they stand pat. Schneider could trade down if somebody he likes starts dropping and add another middling pick. Schneider LOVES middling picks.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Damn now that Michael Bennett has signed. I say draft Crichton and that would give Seattle the ability to release Clemons a bit easier with the added depth. Crichton and Bennett could be a very disruptive combo for Seattle for the next four years.

kearly

Reaction score
Good short area athleticism, but his repertoire is non-existent and for a power rush guy his strength sucks. I watch his game compilations and it's one play after another of him struggling valiantly and accomplishing nothing, and then a defender makes a mistake and he flashed in for a pretty looking QB sack. I see why people like him- he's a sparky dude- reminds me a lot of Jason Babin, but Babin was in the league a long time before he briefly became a very good player.

Also, though Crichton is a good lateral athlete his long speed is sub-par, and his 1.62 10 yard split is just okay. And his vert was on the low end. Not an explosive dude. I would think he'd be off of Seattle's board for his lack of speed if nothing else. He might be a good fit for a 3-4 OLB team like Pittsburgh though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Don't like him. Not even sure why he's rated so high. jmho, but I wouldn't take him before the 5th. In the NFL he will be close to making a lot of tackles, but close won't cut it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marginal athlete for his size. Tape doesn't flash. Thought he was a R3-4 type before the combine, now he could last even longer.