Safety

JimmeeJack

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle drafts a S in the first few rounds. If you look at it, it's one of the few spots we don't have solid, experienced depth. We have the 2 best in the game at their respective positions, but I could see Pete drafting one fairly early as insurance. Maybe FA takes care of it too, but I doubt they go into the season with the same depth there. One injury & we're up sh@t creek.

cover-2

Reaction score
I don't think we go Safety in the first few rounds, but if we hold true to taking the best player available it is a possibility. My favorite Safety in this draft is Florida St Terrence Brooks. Brooks is a poor man's Earl Thomas. Brooks 5-11 197 lbs. he has great closing speed with great range. Teams that want to emulate our defense may take Brooks early in the 2nd round and use him as a single high safety like we use Earl. If we were to get Brooks I think he could be a legit back up to Earl at FS as well as possibly competing for nickel CB. He is effective blitzing when lined up near the line of scrimmage and he could be a good weapon in the slot when teams want to try to spread us out.

Here his highlight clips from his junior and senior year (Brooks is wearing jersey #31).

[youtube]x8yfj8MpI-A[/youtube]

[youtube]exlcz2kaH9g[/youtube]

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
DeShawn Shead has settled in as Kam's backup at SS, and the Hawks love him, so that position is covered. If Chris Maragos isn't re-signed then the Hawks will have a definite need at backup FS, but backup FS is not something that you address "in the first few rounds." A guy that I like on Day 3 for that is Virginia Tech's Antone Exum. Exum played both CB and S for the Hokies, but best projects at FS in the NFL. Exum is a very good athlete with the kind of range required to be a FS in the Hawks scheme, has a high football IQ, is a great character guy, and (like Maragos) has very good special teams ability as well. The biggest issue with Exum, however, is his injury history.

cover-2

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":29hc44tu said:
DeShawn Shead has settled in as Kam's backup at SS, and the Hawks love him, so that position is covered. If Chris Maragos isn't re-signed then the Hawks will have a definite need at backup FS, but backup FS is not something that you address "in the first few rounds." A guy that I like on Day 3 for that is Virginia Tech's Antone Exum. Exum played both CB and S for the Hokies, but best projects at FS in the NFL. Exum is a very good athlete with the kind of range required to be a FS in the Hawks scheme, has a high football IQ, is a great character guy, and (like Maragos) has very good special teams ability as well. The biggest issue with Exum, however, is his injury history.

I like Exum as well, he could play CB or FS in our scheme. But, with his injury history I wouldn't take him until the 6th round.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm keeping an eye on FS/CB - Marqueston Huff, Wyoming, 5-11, 195, 4.38/40
2013 Season: 127- total Tackles as a FS with 3-TFL, 1-FF, 2-FR, 6-PBU, 2-Int.

He's projected as a round 5 or 6 prospect. If his speed holds up or improves at the combine, he could move up some. Huff played 3 years at CB and then switched to FS because of team needs in 2013. He has fluid hips, has light feet and can run with & blanket WR's very well. Could be a good later round value with that kind of production and ET like speed.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree about Huff in terms of bigger, faster, stronger. From past selections you'd think the FO would be interested.

Adding his speed would also help on ST.