WR Chris Matthews (6'5, 218)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like his hands..He gets after the ball and takes the hits..If he gets loose he can make the run to the end zone..However he's not a wow player but I can see him replacing Rice after this season if he works hard at it..

Chawks1

Reaction score
He's back on the PS....I'd like to see this guy just get in the game, especially as a Red Zone threat. Time to sit Bryan Walters and give him a try.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":1nn61nsd said:
He's back on the PS....I'd like to see this guy just get in the game, especially as a Red Zone threat. Time to sit Bryan Walters and give him a try.

I thought they might get him back on the PS after we had a WR signed away from our practice squad earlier this week.

I don't see him making the roster anytime soon though. We are so thin in some areas that we are having to carry extra guys at positions to have enough depth. WR is the one position we really haven't had any injury issues. The only way I see us bringing in another WR is if we lose one to injury.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":2n5m57no said:
At the rate we're going this season, it won't be long.

The most banged up receiver right now seems to be Doug Baldwin. I don't think our passing game could handle losing him at this point in time

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's easy to get carried away by height but that is really a small piece in the overall puzzle.

Vertical Jump: 33 1/2"
Vertical Jump: 34"
Vertical Jump: 37"

One of these is Jermaine Kearse, one of these is Chris Matthews and one of these is Doug Baldwin. Baldwin has been playing the split-end in 2 WR packages and the slot in 3 WR packages lately.

kidhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":25pvlzvu said:
It's easy to get carried away by height but that is really a small piece in the overall puzzle.

One of these is Jermaine Kearse, one of these is Chris Matthews and one of these is Doug Baldwin. Baldwin has been playing the split-end in 2 WR packages and the slot in 3 WR packages lately.

True enough, but if you are 5'10" and get a 37" vertical leap, you are at a total height of 107" plus arm length

If you are 6'5" and get a 33-1/2" vertical jump, you are at 110-1/2" height plus arm length.

You would have to figure that Matthews has longer arms, making that 3-1/2" higher into more like 6" difference.

Largent80

Reaction score
Having a big body is one thing. having ABILITY is another, and that is where "the rubber meets the road".

In this case the rubber is flubber.

Chawks1

Reaction score
kidhawk":xg6s6227 said:
AgentDib":xg6s6227 said:

True enough, but if you are 5'10" and get a 37" vertical leap, you are at a total height of 107" plus arm length

If you are 6'5" and get a 33-1/2" vertical jump, you are at 110-1/2" height plus arm length.

You would have to figure that Matthews has longer arms, making that 3-1/2" higher into more like 6" difference.

Vertical is great for jump balls. But it doesn't come into play on 90% of pass plays. His mismatch against smaller CB and his Wingspan, catch radius will always be bigger. But another reason to give him a try is to give RW a taller WR to find. Can't tell me RW can't find a 6'5" WR easier than a 5'10" WR. What would it hurt playing him? It's not like any of our other WRs are stepping up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":3k2pny2o said:
kidhawk":3k2pny2o said:
AgentDib":3k2pny2o said:

Vertical is great for jump balls. But it doesn't come into play on 90% of pass plays. His mismatch against smaller CB and his Wingspan, catch radius will always be bigger. But another reason to give him a try is to give RW a taller WR to find. Can't tell me RW can't find a 6'5" WR easier than a 5'10" WR. What would it hurt playing him? It's not like any of our other WRs are stepping up.

Honestly the only person I think he could replace is Walters, and I doubt they would do it because Pete trusts him as a punt returner

Jville

Reaction score
Chawks1":140d4eo3 said:
kidhawk":140d4eo3 said:
AgentDib":140d4eo3 said:

Russell Wilson has taken full ownership for the recent passing woes. Russell already has plenty of big and longer targets to throw to .... Willson, Helfet, Allen, Moeaki, Lockette, Norwood and Kearse. He just has to play ..... "clutch" ..... as he puts it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chawks1":1fxtlc3f said:
kidhawk":1fxtlc3f said:
AgentDib":1fxtlc3f said:

Height doesn't matter if you can't catch. Not saying this is the reason he's not on the 53 man roster. There are many factors as to why he's not playing in games yet. If the Seahawks felt he was ready to play and contribute, he'd be playing. There's a reason he's still on PS and was moving from team to team quite a bit this season, he's not ready. Maybe he will be in the future.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Nine months later . . . I am so happy they picked this guy up. He never contributed much as a receiver, but that recovery on the onside kick makes it all worth it.

:th2thumbs:

Latest posts