Would you trade Russell Wilson, for Cam Newton?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pantherfan23":3mj8x231 said:
I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?

Not sure you're going to find much love here. I may be the closest thing.

I'm an Auburn grad and a huge Auburn football fan. I love what Cam did for the Tigers, and I think the criticism he received - especially leading up to the draft and early this year - was unmerited.

Plus, he's a physical beast. Great athleticism, arm, speed, size, etc. and he can take over a game. Love the guy, and I root for him when he's not playing my Hawks.

With all that said...

First off, he's NOT just as accurate as Wilson. He's more accurate than his detractors gave him credit for coming out of Auburn, but Wilson's on another level.

Second, while he's smarter than many here give him credit for, he doesn't have the mental toughness that Wilson does. Newton CAN get fazed by mistakes or bad losses. Yes, he's passionate and wants to win, but he hasn't yet developed that short memory necessary to let a bad play or bad series go and move onward. He might be able to develop that over the next couple of seasons, but Wilson has it already.

In the end, I would still take Wilson. He outweighs Newton on pretty much all the intangibles, and has proven that his lack of height and size (which was the only real knock on him) isn't a liability for him.

Zowert

Reaction score
Cam Newton is a good quarterback and I think if he had the team that Russell Wilson had around him, Cam would've taken the Panthers to the playoffs his rookie season too. However, I think Russ has a lot more upside to him than Cam. Much more potential, IMO.

You can't question Cam Newton's toughness, as he has been just as solid as RW and even taken more hits over his multiple seasons now. But I don't think there is any question over intelligence and dedication. Cam doesn't have a fraction of work ethic that Russell Wilson does. Russ was late for his end of season press conference because he was in the film room with his QB coach at the VMAC, watching footage of his play against the Falcons for a second time. Take into mind that this was the day after the game! That is ridiculous dedication to the game. Wilson is hell bent on improving every part of his game, not matter how small.

With that in mind. I wouldn't even consider trading Russell Wilson. Not for Cam Newton, not for ANYONE! I wouldn't give him up for Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck... No one! He may not be as good as many of the elite QB's (right now) but I think his upside is too much to look past in the event of a trade offer. He is worth more than an aging elite QB and even a top QB in his prime. At least in my opinion, simply because Russell Wilson has a year with the Seahawks, where we have been molding our offense to his style (read option for example) and will continue to do so. All the while he improves.

You don't always need the best players, sometimes you just need the right players. RW is the right player for this organization. This off-season he is going to work his ass off to improve his game and we're going to see the results come next fall. I am willing to bet RW is going to work on becoming a better pocket passer, therefore becoming well-rounded. Being able to stay in the pocket and pass when need be, as well as escaping to buy time for his receivers to get open like he has been all season.

I don't know why anyone would want to give this guy up. He could very well become the greatest Seahawks QB in franchise history.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pantherfan23":3jqj2wci said:
I know as Seahawks fans the answer would (should) be "No, but Cam is 7 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, just as fast, with a bigger arm and just as accurate. So..would you?
Nope,,Cerebrally, Wilson is way ahead of Newton, and too, people are still questioning just where Wilsons ceiling is.
That 7 inches doesn't match up with the upside that Wilson has over Newton, or even RGIII,,Wilson is unique and a rarity because of his ability to digest information, and make it work to his advantage,,,You can't teach that stuff.
And besides, even with those seven inches?, he still gets balls batted down.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't know where you get the idea that Cam Newton is "JUST AS ACCURATE." The stats disprove this.

Cam Newton in Rookie year completed 60% of his passes (with a 7.8 YPA), in 2012 he completed 57% of his passes (with a 8.0 YPA).

Meanwhile RW has a 64% completion % while maintaining a 7.9 YPA. Russell Wilson is the more accurate QB, by a significant margin.

Zowert

Reaction score
I think after this season, we have around half the league drooling over our quarterback and that "reach" we made in the third round of last year's draft... :D Even if we drafted Russ in the first round, we would still be laughing.

All the teams that drafted a QB in the 2012 draft (other than Luck and RG3) should be pretty pissed that they didn't think of Russell Wilson. Then you have the New York Jets who were actually looking to draft RW in the later rounds, LOL! They're screwed. They have Sanchez, who they've finally realized is a bust and Tebow, who should be on his way to the CFL (although someone in the NFL will end up - moronically - trading for him).

I can't even imagine RW in a Jets uniform, although he would've likely been picked up by them if he were available in the 5th round. No doubt in my mind, he would have beaten Sanchez and Tebow out of the starting job and the Jets would be a different team. I hope their F.O. and fans think about this. I hope this haunts them for the rest of their lives, and I think it will. Especially after Wilson beat them this season.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think this guys is trolling. This question is not as ridiculous as some people on here are suggesting. Think about how Panthers fans felt after Newton's rookie season. He had just had arguably the best rookie season of any QB ever. I think if you asked Panthers fans last year if they would trade Cam for anyone, they would have rightly turned you down. This year, he appeared to regress somewhat, but he was excellent in December. He is one of the most talented young QBs in the league, even if he did take a step back this year.

Bottom line is, we love our Russell, and perhaps OP likely did not quite realize the depths of the devotion. Surely he does now.

canucklhead

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3h47nycl said:
pantherfan23":3h47nycl said:
Cam is twice the size, half the leader, and 1/10th the man.
No way.

...and we have a winner!

Zowert

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":qhjo5b02 said:
I don't think this guys is trolling. This question is not as ridiculous as some people on here are suggesting. Think about how Panthers fans felt after Newton's rookie season. He had just had arguably the best rookie season of any QB ever. I think if you asked Panthers fans last year if they would trade Cam for anyone, they would have rightly turned you down. This year, he appeared to regress somewhat, but he was excellent in December. He is one of the most talented young QBs in the league, even if he did take a step back this year.

Bottom line is, we love our Russell, and perhaps OP likely did not quite realize the depths of the devotion. Surely he does now.

Very true.

Its crazy because when the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson in the third round, not a single one of my friends that are Hawks fans thought it was a good pick. Especially since we picked up Matt Flynn in free agency. Flynn was expected to be the franchise QB coming in, so drafting a backup quarterback in the third round. Actually many thought Russell Wilson was a 'project' QB. So a lot of people thought it was a reach to grab RW in the third round when there was still some good talent in positions of need left in the 3rd.

Actually, I had quite a few dedicated Seahawks fans/friends that were pissed off when RW was drafted. They told me we threw a third round pick away.. But today, they're all happily eating crow.

CANHawk

Reaction score
No... but if you're looking for a short quarterback with lots of intangibles, why don't you give Detroit a call. They might make you a deal on Kellen Moore.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hd2spoj said:
pantherfan23":3hd2spoj said:
Cam is twice the size, half the leader, and 1/10th the man.
No way.
That covers it Scottie.

A big, fat HELL NO!!

I wouldn't trade Russ for Cam and their best d-lineman or o-lineman or RB or.....Russ is VERY special and you simply do not let VERY special get away, EVER.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If science could put Russell's brain into Cam's scull then I'd take CamRusselstein. Until that's a possibuility I'm sticking with my man Russ. He may not be superman but he is the right man to get the job done.

Sac

Reaction score
brimsalabim":ngmvu2rs said:
If science could put Russell's brain into Cam's scull then I'd take CamRusselstein. Until that's a possibuility I'm sticking with my man Russ. He may not be superman but he is the right man to get the job done.

He's not superman, he's Clark Kent.

efried78

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Russell is a leader, Cam Newton is a whiner.