Would you be upset if the cap money was left on the table?

Spohawks

Reaction score
I am not sure how much cash is left on the table but with some where between $5-12 million and clear needs on the team, if they did nothing, it would be heart breaking to me.

The hawks are a playoff team right now, but are they Superbowl caliber winners? Probably not.

Buuut drop in a couple of high end ballers and its a different story. MAKE SOME MOVES HAWKS!!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Spohawks":3bzmqlto said:
I am not sure how much cash is left on the table but with some where between $5-12 million and clear needs on the team, if they did nothing, it would be heart breaking to me.

The hawks are a playoff team right now, but are they Superbowl caliber winners? Probably not.

Buuut drop in a couple of high end ballers and its a different story. MAKE SOME MOVES HAWKS!!

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be injury free the whole year & no flexibility will be needed.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bear in mind that there isn't a magical threshold where we change from being pretenders to contenders. Our odds of winning the Super Bowl today are something like 6.2%, and if we add a player or two then it may go up to 6.4%. That's worth doing if it makes sense, but it's very easy to underestimate the underlying uncertainties around a season.

Analysts and fans tend to stumble into the narrative fallacy in an attempt to explain things, and in doing so trick themselves into deterministic thinking. If you say that the Bucs won the Super Bowl because of X, Y and Z then you may feel that they were destined to do so. That messes with your ability to understand that if you re-ran last year a dozen times you might not see the Bucs win it once.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe they are still rolling unused cap over to the next season, right?

So no, I'm not really worried. Better football minds than mine are on the case. :mrgreen:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
sutz":2qkc6fye said:
I believe they are still rolling unused cap over to the next season, right?

So no, I'm not really worried. Better football minds than mine are on the case. :mrgreen:

I believe so. Never looked at what the contract says specifically, but pretty sure the money has to be used to pay players at some point.

flv

Reaction score
A lot of teams have space because they've moved cap hits back. Effectively that's just moving future years' cap space forward. Not spending 2022 & 2023 cap money in 2021 isn't 'leaving cap money on the table'. For perspective the Seahawaks have already allocated all of their 2021 cap money and over $50M of future years' money to be used by the end of the 2021 season.

Many teams bring space forward as a contingency to deal with more injuries than they anticipate. Not having contingency funds could mean bringing in UDFA rookies as injury replacements simply because they're cheap.

Fade

Reaction score
I think a lot of coaches around the league do not have a good grasp on how the salary cap works, either. Kyle Shanahan holding on to Jimmy G and not cutting him to save $25M and go after a better/or at the very least same level, veteran QB for a much lower cost like an Andy Dalton is asinine.

In the NFL it is a rolling salary cap. Meaning the cap space that is not used can rollover to the next season. Teams do have to average 89% spending minimum over a 4 year period, so no sandbagging is allowed. But spending money for the sake of spending money is not wise. The key is to spend the money on good players, and don't waste money on bad players & JAGs. The cap space Seattle currently enjoys isn't burning a hole in their pocket in other words.

With that being said, teams currently have the ability to kick the can down the road to the tune of $1 Billion dollars (approximately) guaranteed and counting (As the cap goes up.) Plus teams can tack on voidable years at any point to lower a player's cap number, or restructure if they want to keep the player long term while still lowering their number in the short term.

The salary cap is secondary to teams, and the bottom line ie: profits being the #1 priority, is the much greater inhibitor to teams spending money and acquiring players. Like any well run business they have a budget. The salary cap was created by the owners to keep player salaries down under the guise of competitive balance. Same with the rookie wage scale, although I do agree with the owners on that one, top drafted rookies coming into the league having never played a professional snap shouldn't be some of the highest paid at their positions like it was back in the day.

There is way too much hand wringing on the subject. The salary cap is easy to manipulate and teams (including the Seahawks) do it all the time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Cap is a joke..KC,Dallas,NO and a few others find ways around
it to pay anyone or everyone.
Seems to be many loopholes and schemes that it's not worth figuring.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1pf6hln1 said:
Spohawks":1pf6hln1 said:

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be injury free the whole year & no flexibility will be needed.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts