Worst play call with the game on the line

chawx

Reaction score
I guess none of you armchair QBs/OCs saw this guy right here (highlighted) who was standing right between Russell and Jimmy, just waiting to make a play on the ball.

Sorry, but maybe an 8ft QB could have gotten that ball off to Jimmy...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.48.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.48.33 PM.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 741
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.48.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 3.48.02 PM.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 741
OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chawx":2tfusa7f said:
I guess none of you armchair QBs/OCs saw this guy right here (highlighted) who was standing right between Russell and Jimmy, just waiting to make a play on the ball.

Actually, several people have already pointed this out above . . . which is why few people are trying to blame Russell.

What I am annoyed with is having Graham lined up in-line, where he is more likely to run an obstructed route.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
hawknation2015":19j3xjky said:
chawx":19j3xjky said:

Actually, several people have already pointed this out above . . . which is why few people are trying to blame Russell.

What I am annoyed with is having Graham lined up in-line, where he is more likely to run an obstructed route.

It's far from being that simple. A QB has plenty of weapons to defeat a spying player. Look him off, pump fake, roll out, etc. The mere presence of a spy does not dictate a play.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Utah_hawk":z6hyab1f said:
DavidSeven":z6hyab1f said:
Eh, he's just as likely to have his view obstructed in that scenario as well. In fact, I wonder if this is part of how defenses game-plan for Wilson. Have the spy track his eyes and get in front of all his passing lanes

I think you’re on to something – I also believe that teams are assigning a spy to watch Wilson’s eyes and get in front of his passing lanes. If you watch some of the plays from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115719, you’ll notice that on more than half of the plays, there is a spy trying to do exactly what you said. I’d be interested to see if other teams have done this tactic this year. Either way, it’s extremely disconcerting that our offense hasn’t put up more than 17 points, especially when your QB is the second highest paid QB in the league. :pukeface:

If this 50% figure is accurate, that *should* be an easy fix. Defeating a spy in coverage is one of the easiest things to do for a quality QB.

lobohawk

Reaction score
The only people that throw to JG on this play are those that could see it after the fact and have Montana's touch.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1nxhr4jq said:
hawknation2015":1nxhr4jq said:
chawx":1nxhr4jq said:

It's far from being that simple. A QB has plenty of weapons to defeat a spying player. Look him off, pump fake, roll out, etc. The mere presence of a spy does not dictate a play.

More than being defeated by a spy, being 5'10 makes it more difficult for Wilson to see receivers over the middle of the field than it does for the average 6'4 NFL QB.

That doesn't mean that Wilson is a bad QB, far from it, it just means we need to find more ways to get him a clearer line of sight to his best receivers, i.e. Graham on the outside.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":11orp3hr said:
DavidSeven":11orp3hr said:
Throw up the GIF of the Eifert play, and give me one reason why Russell shouldn't be able to do the exact same thing on the play you posted above.

That was an insane catch and throw into double coverage. But absolutely, I wish we could see more throws like this from Wilson, more patience from Wilson when the line does give him enough time, and more plays like this called by Bevell.
ConventionalEnchantedAlabamamapturtle

If even one of those things improved I think we'd be cookin.

massari

Reaction score
So they choose to trade away Unger+1st and pay him 10M per to not even use the tools which make him a star? :?

Crizilla

Reaction score
just freaking throw it to graham and have him make the catch. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning wouldn't have issues getting him the ball

i just dont understand

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I'm watching SD vs Steelers ... Rivers throws those balls to Gate. PERIOD.
We are paying this guy gazillions of dollars to catch the ball, but we keep throwing it to Kearse ... come on now.
We need to live and die with Jimmy. Just like we have done with Lynch in the past few years. We feed him until he breaks one or two or three.
Crizilla":1rubptft said:
just freaking throw it to graham and have him make the catch. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning wouldn't have issues getting him the ball

i just dont understand