Woolen = Worthless

RiverDog

Reaction score
I suspect he isn’t 100% recovered from the shoulder surgery. Heck, it wouldn’t surprise me if he has something done in the offseason. He was willing to tackle last year, but this year he’s off. He’s not trash.
Woolen has had tackling issues before, so I don't think that we can blame it entirely on his injury. Plus, he's had other issues besides tackling, including the one that Pete called him out by name for earlier this week.

But I agree, he's not trash, far from it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The only thing that is trash is some of the "fans" of this team.
Normal fan behavior. I have a similar reaction from time to time. It would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black if I were to call these guys out.

But I am concerned about Woolen. We had assumed that he'd be a long-term answer to one of our corner positions. Now, I'm not so sure. Hopefully it's just a sophomore slump.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
His issues are multiplied when he’s not getting enough backup support from the safeties in coverage and run support. That — plus a better overall defensive scheme — would make a difference.

renofox

Reaction score
From everything I've seen, I think it's pretty clear Woolen's shoulder injury is lingering. He probably shouldn't even be on the field.

I also see him not getting his head turned to look for the ball, and playing a lot more trail technique this year. Did he suddenly start changing the way he plays all on his own? NO. He's playing the way the coaches are telling him to play.

Nevermind that he's now playing to his weaknesses instead of his strengths, and that has caused his play to suffer. Or that the coaches have him playing when he should be healing. This is all on him and the coaches bear no responsibility.

Look at how well the coaches have developed the long list of drafted DBs. Look at all the DBs taken from 2017-2020. Lano Hill, Michael Tyson, Tedric Thompson, Tre Flowers, Shaqill Griffin, Ugo Amadi, and Marquise Blair all made such excellent progress under PC's coaching. Right?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no doubt after the season is over it will come out that Woolen was playing injured which would explain his regression. For the record, I also think Adam's regression is due to a similar reason. He's so spooked from his injuries he's afraid to lay it all on the line. Being tentative - regardless of reason - on the field is a bad, bad deal.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
No, he won't at all. But maybe you're hoping he will so you can come on here and pump your chest out? How very 12 of you.
Whoa. That's a bit much. Of course Spoon won't suddenly suck. It was said a bit tongue in cheek.

But there is some evidence that to the .NET theory/idea that players show up in Seattle as competent players and the coaches somehow coach them into being different, not-so-competent players. For example - there must be some coaching / emphasizing aspect to the not turning around to look for the ball no? If not - then how in the world does this team somehow seem to always have all of the DBs that do this?

And hopefully once people know me they will understand there's no chest pumping from me. What the heck do I really know about stuff? I'm just an overly invested - overly emotional - addicted to the Seahawks - life long fan - who comments from his couch once in a while. :p

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough ✌️

I don't see Woolen as in the same stratosphere as Spoon. Spoon is clearly special. And I get that he's the #5 pick vs. a guy who was taken in the 5th round.
Spoon is special, and is going to be a beast in this league. Still on the fence about Woolen. But I also agree with many who think he's playing injured.

We got VERY spoiled with Sherm's tackling. He was one of the best tackling CB's in the history of the game, imo.
Take a look at MEion Sanders, an all time great, but couldn't tackle for sh**

If you can't tackle consistently, you better damn well be shut down in coverage.

renofox

Reaction score
...For example - there must be some coaching / emphasizing aspect to the not turning around to look for the ball no? If not - then how in the world does this team somehow seem to always have all of the DBs that do this?
Maybe they are being coached to focus on the player they are covering until his hands come up? Theoretically, that helps to ensure that the player doesn't escape coverage while the defender is looking back.

That is good, solid, and intelligent...
For 20th century NFL technique.

In the 21st century, receivers are coached to not turn or raise their hands until the ball is almost there. Old techniques are ineffective and detrimental. Outside trail technique in anything other than a cover 2 with guaranteed safety help is idiotic.

Last year, Woolen was playing mostly inside leverage and consistently turning early and locating the ball.

This year, Woolen is playing trail technique with no safety help and outside leverage often. He's also, magically, not been getting his head around and, instead, focusing on the receiver.

But I'm sure coaching has nothing to do with his regression in coverage ability. Absolutely.

GemCity

Reaction score
Meanwhile, while you were using Devon Witherspoon with our pick, we had to scrape the bottom of the barrel with undrafted Jaquan McMillan. Man, how are we going to win games with this guy as our number 2 CB????
I see Sean Payton is still yelling at your idol.

And you got blown out.

How’s that Russ trade working out for ya?

renofox

Reaction score
Where'd John Dean go? Oops, I mean BroncoTed. I was sure he'd be back here, win or lose. Loser.