Witherspoon comp?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
You don't even really need to ask him. He'll remind you even if you ask him whether he prefers pancakes or waffles. He will probably say "French toast. Plus, I'm the greatest cover corner of all time!" 😂
That's absurd. No way French Toast beats pancakes (1a) or waffles (1b). Gotta settle for 2nd place.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
He isn’t slow by any means. I thought this was interesting.

“Witherspoon reached a top speed of 20.25 mph on the return, per Next Gen Stats, weaving across the field to pay dirt. He was accompanied by a convoy of teammates, Julian Love and Tariq Woolen, the latter reaching 22.25 mph as a blocker -- the fastest speed on a play from scrimmage this season, per Next Gen”

Woolen 😵‍💫
He had a full 2mph on him. Dang.

olyfan63

Reaction score
In one interview Witherspoon says Riq made him look slow by running so fast.
Julian Love too. Woolen only ran hard the first 40 yards then saw that Love had the blocking handled and let up. That's what I saw anyway. I was curious what speed Love was clocked at, anyone know?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
One comp for Spoon that I've heard mentioned is Darrell Green, who played until he was 42 y/o. Darrell was 5'-9", 184 lb. HoF-er.

Darrell averaged 2.7 solo tackles per game from the age of 34 until his last year at age 42. Solo tackles were not tracked prior to 1994 when Darrell was 34 y/o.

calinator

Reaction score
The announcer only compared him to Deion in "Bravado". To mention the two as similar in any way is probably a stretch.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sherm does love him some him. He almost always backed it up.

I'm hoping we see the same from Spoon. This team needs to get back to having that swag.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Spoon seems to have that special instinct for diagnosing plays. He's always around the play on run support and seems to be there on screens to his side very quickly. The cool thing is that he's only going to get better. I like in the post game interview he said he loved playing inn the slot because there's more action there.

The best thing is that he is decisive and trusts his instincts or maybe his coaching.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
He isn’t slow by any means. I thought this was interesting.

“Witherspoon reached a top speed of 20.25 mph on the return, per Next Gen Stats, weaving across the field to pay dirt. He was accompanied by a convoy of teammates, Julian Love and Tariq Woolen, the latter reaching 22.25 mph as a blocker -- the fastest speed on a play from scrimmage this season, per Next Gen”

Woolen 😵‍💫
Spoon did say that they made him look 'slow' ;)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
i am seeing a lot of polamalu in how he plays
Yes but way faster and quicker. He really reminds of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu but he has other qualities I can't pinpoint yet Dein and Sherman seem to be a lazy comp and I'm guilty of that. Rod Woodson I totally forgot about him nice reminder.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The way he can play inside and outside I was thinking Charles Woodson too. Agree with a lot of you who didn't like the Sanders comparisons. When Aikman said that on Monday I was thinking that I don't remember Sanders ever enjoying contact and hitting like Spoon, other than his slap-fest with Rison.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The way he can play inside and outside I was thinking Charles Woodson too. Agree with a lot of you who didn't like the Sanders comparisons. When Aikman said that on Monday I was thinking that I don't remember Sanders ever enjoying contact and hitting like Spoon, other than his slap-fest with Rison.
Exactly. Now I'm feeling worse for Jsmsl because to me he seems to be a great guy and his energy is undeniable. But Spoon is him and far more for 10th of the money?

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Covers like Prime, hits like Polamalu. Bit early to make too many comps. Need to see how he does when other teams get film on him and start adjusting. Having him and Woolen on the field on the same time sounds good, though.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Witherspoon reminds me of...

The player that Jamal Adams was supposed to be.

If it comes down to one or the other, I'm siding with Witherspoon.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Shawn Springs comes to mind
Rod Woodson and Dave Brown for me with a little Deion sprinkled in. Hits like a freight train for his body weight. Glad we got him

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I nominate Charles Woodson. Excellent cover guy, aggressive style, big hitter. Those are the traits I associate with Witherspoon.