Witherspoon comp?

Maui12thman

Reaction score
who’s your weatherspoon comp? I’ve heard em all, from sherm to prime. He’s reminded me so much of someone and I couldn’t exactly figure it out. The reason I found it so difficult is because the guy he reminds me so much of isn’t even a football player.

Gary Payton.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I heard them compare him to Sanders Monday night, and to me that doesn't make sense. Prime could cover guys as good as anyone, but he was never much of a tackler. Sure he tackled guys when he had to, but he always seemed to shy away from contact where a guy like Witherspoon seems to seek it out.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I heard them compare him to Sanders Monday night, and to me that doesn't make sense. Prime could cover guys as good as anyone, but he was never much of a tackler. Sure he tackled guys when he had to, but he always seemed to shy away from contact where a guy like Witherspoon seems to seek it out.
Agreed. He's the opposite of Prime. Deion was a smooth lockdown corner with elite speed, but lacked physicality. Witherspoon is rough, wastes steps, doesn't have great speed, but shows good instincts and likes to hit.

Witherspoon has some stuff he needs to clean up, some stuff to learn, and some maturing to do yet; but so far so good. He's good clay to work with.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Agreed. He's the opposite of Prime. Deion was a smooth lockdown corner with elite speed, but lacked physicality. Witherspoon is rough, wastes steps, doesn't have great speed, but shows good instincts and likes to hit.

Witherspoon has some stuff he needs to clean up, some stuff to learn, and some maturing to do yet; but so far so good. He's good clay to work with.
He isn’t slow by any means. I thought this was interesting.

“Witherspoon reached a top speed of 20.25 mph on the return, per Next Gen Stats, weaving across the field to pay dirt. He was accompanied by a convoy of teammates, Julian Love and Tariq Woolen, the latter reaching 22.25 mph as a blocker -- the fastest speed on a play from scrimmage this season, per Next Gen”

Woolen 😵‍💫

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe a lite version of what you'd get if you combined Earl Thomas with Brandon Browner. Which is a hell of a combo.

Expect that he will get burned on plays like he's already gotten burned on, teams will take advantage of his overaggressiveness - and he doesn't have quite the range or quickness of a Thomas but he has the headhunter mentality of a Browner. I'll live with the few big plays he gives up - because he looks like he is going get quite a few TFLs to offset.

I hope the Bob Sanders comparisons aren't accurate, since Bob didn't play very long as his body could not handle the abuse he put it through. And he plays the ball well in the air, better than Bob did.

Agree with the Antoine Winfield comparison. That looks on point. Winfield was smallish but a hell of a tackler. A great freaking CB. Almost the same size.
If Witherspoon can turn into THAT, it's worth whatever we paid to draft him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Put Easley and Dave Brown together, and Earls size, he is kind of unique, ball hawking, good tackler, instinctive, and packs a punch all at once. I say Easley for smarts, ability to play run and pass, rush the QB and intercept, pass coverage Dave Brown had sticky fingers as well, he is a Hall of Famer by his numbers, just years in Seattle never recognized.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There are several CB's who are pretty slight. It's not uncommon to see a thin looking corner. I get the concerns because he hits hard, but I can't see him getting all yoked.

Scout

Reaction score
Rod Woodson is a good comparison to Spoon.

Before his injury Woodson was an electric blitzer off the edge and also a dominant boundary corner.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Prime sucked as a tackler. Spoon is damn good, just like Sherm was.
Sherm was one of the best tacklers, really at any position, of all time but he definitely wasn't a hitter like this kid is. Like to make sure he's being coached up on good technique to keep him from injury and wrapping up to prevent Hamlin Disease.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
No doubt. Sherm was an incredible tackler, and had zero fear out there. In his prime, damn he was good. Just ask him :ROFLMAO:
You don't even really need to ask him. He'll remind you even if you ask him whether he prefers pancakes or waffles. He will probably say "French toast. Plus, I'm the greatest cover corner of all time!" 😂

Latest posts